SASS Wire Forum

Improved Slix-Shot nipples for Uberti revolvers

Fingers McGee

Received two sets of the shorter Slix-Shot nipples for Uberti revolvers & had a chance to use them in a monthly match this past weekend. Match was six stages using a .36 cal Navy Arms Frontiersman loaded with 22 grains of fffg Grafs powder, .380 Log Cabin Sport Shop cast roundball and #10 Remington caps. The caps were installed and seated using a Ted Cash revolver (snail) capper only, no push stick. At the end of the match, exploded caps had all stayed on the nipples. There were no missfires, no cap jams, no hot cap fragments caught between palm and grips (that really hurts).

These nipples work!!!

Now all I need to do is buy some reduced power mainsprings and try them.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Sounds like a fine product Fangers.

Thanks for the report.

Hey -- All you would-be cap gun shooters.

You heard it from THE SOURCE!

No excuses anymore for nipple/cap-related failures!

--Dawg

Thanks for the report Fingers! See ya at Comin at Cha.

SliX-shot Nipples can be had through Desperado Cowboy Bullets and LongHunter Shooting Supply.

Best to All,

Big Iron Buster

Will be shooting the warm up and Plainsman stages at CAC with a pair of Piettas w/ Slix-Shot nipples that I had prevously reported on. Saving the '61 Navies for the main match. Hopefully the reduced power hammer springs will be in by then. Gonna order them today.

Fingers,

When we meet at CAC I'll tell you a secret about main spring pressure!!

You can find me with Big Iron Buster at his trailer/house/home/mansion.

Ol' #4

I'll be sure to come by for a visit :)

Fingers,

When we meet at CAC I'll tell you a secret about main spring pressure!!

You can find me with Big Iron Buster at his trailer/house/home/mansion.

Ol' #4

Dang, I wanna know too!!! :ph34r:

Me three...I'm new at this...But I sure have a lot of nice new toys to play with...I think I might have upset some people because of my fast purchases...ABut don't they call that you snooze you loose...I have misses a few and even beat the Dawg...Sometimes...

Texas Lizard

I have the Slix-Shot nipples in my Pietta 51's. They work very well indeed. I replaced the stock Main springs with Wolff reduced Colt SAA springs.

I am now re-working my Pietta 1860's and they will have the slix-shots nipples installed in the cylinder.

What was your experience before getting these nipples?

All my competition revolvers have Treso nipples on them, and the hammer notches filled so the hammer won't pull the expended cap off the nipple. This setup pretty much eliminates missfires and cap jams; but the expended caps will still fall off and burn your hand, and 'pretty much' isn't perfect. You also couldn't lighten the hammer spring without causing cycling problems.

The Slix-Shot nipples have exceeded the reliability of the Tresos so far.

George,

My experience was that I used to have about 8# of hammer pressure to set the cap off and still keep enough hammer pressure on the nipple to keep the cap from blowing back off and jamming the hammer. With the new design I can reduce static hammer pressure to about 4# 8oz and still keep the cap on the nipple but be able to cock the da** hammer with my ol withered weak thumb. Plus the blown cap will either stay on the nipple or blow clear with cycling,

Oh yes, once in a while one will drop and burn my finger pad, and once in a while one will stick, but all in all it is a reduction of about 900% in malfunctions and jam ups.

Just my experience.

And with the other nipples I had been using, I had to change them at least twice a year due to peening, mushrooming or flattening. These have lasted two years and still accept caps and run like new. Realize that I set my pistols up so I have direct, solid hammer to nipple contact, NO clearance, tolerance or space at all; full free contact..

Plus I have never had a failure to fire!!!!!! Even with reduced hammer pressure! (except those deadscaps)

Ol' #4

If Y'all would shoot with the Left hand you would reduce your cap burns on you pinky's. ;)

My hammer notches are filled and with #10 Remington caps, most stay on when fired. Those that do seperate fall free and do not jam or enter the action.

I have two sets of cylinders for my pair of 51's. One set with Treso's, the other set with Slix-Shot's. I prefer the Slix-Shot cylinders.

I went to the Slix nipple as soon as they came out for the ROA. They have performed well and have only one failure in the last several months. Definately an improvement. Also went to a lighter main spring. If the nipple is seated firmly all nipples fire. I have had some bad caps which were used at monthly matches, however, I believe it was due to the cap age.

I do carry extra sets of new nipples to main matches just out of habit. Never know when someone will look at ur guns an dry fire em.

Good luck guys.

I put a set of the slix-shot nipples on my 1851 uberti navy today . The first six shots were perfect. After that there were nothing but problems for the next 12 shots. I have filled in the notch in the hammer face. Caps usually stayed on the nipple, but the cylinder was still difficult to rotate in most cases.

I suspect this revolver has other problems. Comments?

I just ordered two sets of Slix-Shot nipples for a pair of Pietta Colt .44 Navies. With just a few cylinders fired so far they have done well with the factory nipples but, with the SE Regional coming up, I am wanting any extra security I can get! I will have a pair of '58s ready to step in, if needed.

I put a set of the slix-shot nipples on my 1851 uberti navy today . The first six shots were perfect. After that there were nothing but problems for the next 12 shots. I have filled in the notch in the hammer face. Caps usually stayed on the nipple, but the cylinder was still difficult to rotate in most cases.

I suspect this revolver has other problems. Comments?

Not knowing you gun, or what's been done to it, there are a variety of things that could cause it. If the caps stayed on, could it be arbor fouling? What are you using for arbor lube? Bore butter has always worked for me.

Could be a timing issue, cylinder face dragging on the barel breach from too small a barrel/cylinder gap or an uneven B/C gap from breach face not being square.

Archived