SASS Wire Forum

Team Shoots, Couples Shoots

Creeker, SASS #43022

I have been tasked with writing the team shoot, couples shoot and individual shoot offs for Eldorado 2012.

And since this is the entertainment business, instead of simply doing what I think may be fun - I am soliciting ideas.

What do you like to shoot? And is that the same thing as you like to watch? We are a spectator sport as well.

Remember, we are shooting all of these events on main match steel, so no post cutting or the like is possible.

For instance - team shoot.

Say three members - do you prefer each shooter shoots a single gun, so you can play to each shooters strength OR an event where all three shooters have to shoot multiple guns?

Same question with couples shoots.

Do you want a straight up shooting competition or is the element of chance/ adding a non shooting task acceptable (or even desirable as change of pace) in this format?

Individual shootoffs - side by side runs (first one with all their targets down etc.) or let the timer decide? (everyone runs a standard stage).

As always - we are here to give the customer a product that will make them happy.

http://www.eldoradocowboys.com/index.php

team shoots; RANDOM DRAW no super alliances,single gun will help move it along.

couples; same thing.

shoot off, side by side first clean shooter wins. random draw each round no brackets.

you asked, i answered, and yes, i am still trying to figure out how i can go this year.

CC

I watched the team shoot at the Wester Regionals last year and it looked like a LOT of fun. Four person teams determond by random draw, each shooter shot all guns, timer decided the winner.

Someone obviously made a mistake in the scoring and I made the Top Gun shoot-off at that same match. It was an absolute BLAST. 24 knock-down targets, any order guns, any order targets. Misses with rifle and/or pistols were made up with shotgun. After those were all down you ran to the center, performed a pistol reload and knocked down the stop plate. I sure hope that person messes up the scoring again this year, I REALLY want to do it again.

I've enjoyed the way the couples shoot has been done the last couple of years at Eldorado. Shooters got to play to their strengths. As far as choosing partners, I don't have much of an opinion on that. I just like to shoot and have fun.

Creeker,I've shot at a small club that has had team and couples shoots.The way they determined who was partnered with who was by drawing cards.Those that drew 2's were paired, 8's paired, etc.Makes it very random and fun.One of the couples shoots I remember was "pass the money".One held a bag of "money" while the other shot the 1st pistol then reholstered and took the money while the other shot and so on through all the guns.Best time and misses determined who won just like a normal shoot.Doesn't take as much time as it sounds like it would unless of course you get paired up with me.Then it's dig out the sundial to time with.All guns were shot from one position.

Creeker, for a shootoff I think side by side is the way to go, both to watch and be in. Check out the videos from the shootoff at the Shootout at Pawnee Station. Shooters stage rifle and one pistol on the outside table, three round to load in the rifle, and five to load in the pistol, and shotgun is staged on the inside table. On the signal, shooter has to load five in the pistol, three in the rifle, shoot five pistol targets, three rifle targets, run to the middle and shot a shotgun target and the stop plate. As the shotguns were the only knock downs, reset time was quick, but you do need spotters for misses. After the run the shooters go back to an unloading table, targets are reset and next shooters are called up. Made things run fairly quick. It was open to all comers and pairs were drawn from a hat.

Was involved with one of those 3 Team matches. 6 stages, random drawing for partners. Each person could only use designated firearms for 2 stages, then switch off. We planned on each others weaknesses and strenght. Probable one of the most fun matches I ever shot. Sorry to say, haven't found another club that does this. MT

Creeker,

I was at a shoot once... that had a couples match, where shooting pairs were determined by... overall finish, men paired with a lady. The top male was paired with the last place lady, the 2nd place male was paired with the 2nd to last place lady... and so on... until all the ladies were taken. Since it was a male/female couple event... once the ladies were alloted... it was tough luck for the rest of the men. Some of the men and women opted out, and the pairing was adjusted accordingly. Some folks liked the concept, other groused. Some folks like to shoot with their spouse or girl/boyfriend, etc...

Another that I really liked, was the Family Team, but you needed a Jr shooter to compete... (if only I'd been able to rent out 4 Aces)...

Teams of five persons, each shooter using 2 of the 3 guns is also fun... watching the team members deciding who shoots what, was entertaining, in and of itself!

Random draw team events are fun for some, not so much for others. I like the likelihood that I'll be teamed with folks that I don't know... er... that don't know me. Less complaints that way.

You can't please all the people all the time.

Our club often has a "Mano y Mano" final shoot-off, single elimination (sometimes double elimination depending on the competitor pool), last one I got to compete against Tex Fiddler, whom I'd never met... and he only beat me by "...this... (insert finger measuring smilie here) much!" He went on to beat Phantom... I liked it... Tex did to... Phantom, not so much! :ph34r:^_^

Heres the way we do the Team Shoot. 5 team members, random drawing.

1 shooter with rifle on knockdowns

1 shooter with rifle on texas star

1 shooter with 2 pistols on knockdowns

1 shooter with 2 pistols on texas star

1 shooter with shotgun, make up all misses, then engage s/g targets

Heres the way we do the Team Shoot. 5 team members, random drawing.

1 shooter with rifle on knockdowns

1 shooter with rifle on texas star

1 shooter with 2 pistols on knockdowns

1 shooter with 2 pistols on texas star

1 shooter with shotgun, make up all misses, then engage s/g targets

That's a good one, Smokey!

shoot off, side by side first clean shooter wins. random draw each round no brackets.

Assuming this is the after-the-main-match shoot off... Yes.

team shoots; RANDOM DRAW no super alliances,single gun will help move it along.

couples; same thing.

No. Half the fun is trying to form the "super alliance". Most often it isn't who you think it would be.

For the team... one gun [type] per shooter. That gives you more mix and more opportunities to mess up the "super alliance".

Creeker, I'll bump this back up with a suggestion. For the couple shoot, something we've done that was well-received is have one shooter shoot both pistols and a shotgun, and the other shooter shoot the rifle and a shotgun. All you need is a set with two (or more) shotgun targets on both ends of the set. A potential fly in the ointment if the couple share a shotgun, but I made a Stoeger available if needed. It went well.

Archived