SASS Wire Forum

Hunting with CAS guns.

Dorado

Ok since this isn't really about CAS just hunting I figured I'd ask here instead of the wire.

I'm wanting to take my Marlin 1894 out hunting. I don't like the factory sights. Good enough for CAS, not good enough for hunting. I've been looking to replace the sights or install an alternative sight. I've been looking at the Lyman #2 peep sight and ones like it but I don't know enough about them to know what to get. I'd like something fairly accurate out to about 100 yards and would still be CAS legal, or can flip down to use the factory sight. What do y'all suggest?

You might look at a full buckhorn sight. It ain't exactly a peep site but it's close....and it's SASS legal.

I have killed deer with my 357, 92.Shot one last year at about 90 yards.

I have killed deer with my 357, 92.Shot one last year at about 90 yards.

That's what I'm wanting to do! I just don't like the factory sight. It's not that I can't do it, I would just like a more accurate sight. I'm looking into that buckhorn sight right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found this one.

Marbles Full Buckhorn

There's also another one. It's a shorter version it's at 1 7/8"

Does anyone know if it'll fit a Marlin 1894?

Ace I've looked at those but they're always sold out. And really expensive. Probably worth it though. I think I'd like to try the Buckhorn first.

I have several Lyman 1 A sights on Winchesters. They have a small hole for target work and when folded down, a larger ghost ring for hunting Game. They also have a locking device when in the upright position. http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/rantingmadhare/Aman_Park040.jpg

Jake

I have my cowboy guns and then I aso have a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag, barrel cut to 16.2", mag to six rounds, 2.5X shotgun scope. It will put five rounds in 4" at 100 yards with a 240-grain XTP at 1750 fps (muzzle velocity). I do not have the eyes to shoot at hunting distances without optics. It is best to do what is best for the game.

I think I'm going to try the full buckhorn sight first. Just because it is inexpensive and CAS legal. If that doesn't work then I'll get one of the tang sights.

Tom, I'd scope it but I'd like to have at least one rifle without a scope. I have excellent eyes, so optics or not I'm comfortable as long as I have good sights. Besides, defeats my purpose having a scope on it. I'd have to take it off every shoot. But that would give me an excuse to shoot more....Have to resight my scope...hmmmmm.

I don't believe the white diamond on the face of the sight is SASS legal. You may have to turn it around or blacken it for matches.

I put one of the Marbles on my 39A .22LR Marlin and it works just fine. Better than the original for these old eyes.

I like the V notch but some might prefer the U notch.

Badger, from the handbook.

ALL FIREARMS

• Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era—bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

• Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

• Rear and front sights may be “blacked” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

• All rear sights may have their openings adjusted.

• The front sight may be raised or lowered to bring point-of-aim and point-of-impact into alignment.

• The back of the front sight may be serrated.

RIFLE

• Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable “peep” apertures and eyecups.

• No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.

• Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.

• Beech style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.

• Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.

• Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight adjustment.

• Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.

• Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

I don't see anything on whether or not that white diamond is legal or not. I'm assuming it is, but I may be wrong. If it is. I'll just turn the plate around, no harm no foul.

Harley, don't you have to drill the tang for the Lyman #2 to fit?

Badger, from the handbook.

ALL FIREARMS

• Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era—bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

• Colors other than those of the materials referenced above or any “fluorescent” materials may not be applied to either front or rear sights.

• Rear and front sights may be “blacked” painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. If blacking, paint, or plating is applied to a revolver front sight, it must cover the entire rear surface of the sight to give the appearance of a solid material.

• All rear sights may have their openings adjusted.

• The front sight may be raised or lowered to bring point-of-aim and point-of-impact into alignment.

• The back of the front sight may be serrated.

RIFLE

• Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable “peep” apertures and eyecups.

• No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.

• Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.

• Beech style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.

• Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.

• Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight adjustment.

• Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.

• Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

I don't see anything on whether or not that white diamond is legal or not. I'm assuming it is, but I may be wrong. If it is. I'll just turn the plate around, no harm no foul.

I do not recall where I heard that it was not. Perhaps it is an old wives tale. If the hardware police get involved I am sure that they would point out that guns prior to 1900 did not have a white diamond in the sight picture. Then again, who knows, maybe one or two did.

But the large white diamond does draw the eye to the front sight. At least for me it did. I really

like the feature.

Rear sight may use an insert of the SAME color as the rear sight

I use a sharpie to cover the diamond , was called down on the first match I shot

that was a long time ago , still carry a sharpie in the gun cart :lol:

But I have also seen lots of WHITE diamonds at matches , along with Floresent front sights , with no one saying anything

CB

I've placed an order for one. It'll arrive in a couple of days. I'll give it a try then. It has to be better than the stock sight on my Marlin. Now I just have to figure out how to swap sights. lol. Any tips there? I've not driven out a dovetail before.

The Lyman #2 for the Marlin comes with an adaptor base that replaces the tang screw with a longer one to secure the sight base which sits on top of the tang. No drilling or tapping required. More importantly, the serial number on the tang stays intact.

That is an easy one , get a brass punch , the sight drives out from left to right , goes back in from right to left .

You may need to trim the dovetail on the new sight , if it is too big to fit into the exzisting dovetail on the bbl .

Always remenber to cut on the cheapest part if you have to remove metal . if it is too lose than you will have to tighten

the dovetail , I use a punch in the bottem to upset it a bit , to accomplish that , you can also tap down the "ears" on

the dovetail , but that can lead to other problems , so I suggest you do NOT use that method , if those ears are broken

off there is not an easy or cheap way to repair them .

I don't think on the last couple of them I have done , I had to do much , except , tap it back in

Give me a shout if ya need to ,

CB

Caution!

Danger Will Robinson!

IIRC the dovetail must be driven out from the left to right. The new one goes in right to left. Somebody correct me on that if I am in error.

The dovetail is not a straight cut across the barrel. If you tap the new sight in incorrectly it will be loose.

Use a plastic or brass hammer and gently tap the sight into the slot. Gentle is the watch word here.

Alright Tap out from left to right, Tap in right to left. Simple enough. If it's loose use a punch on the bottom of the sight, if too tight break out the stones. Got it! Thanks guys Y'all are a big help.

Harley. I may get one of those tang sights later on for my other levergun.

Well my sight came in today. I didn't really have any trouble installing it thanks to y'all. It took a little while to sight it in, but man is that thing accurate. I put 10 rounds in a hole about 2 1/2" wide at 50yrds. Before that would have been closer to 5 or 6". Problem was that I had to aim about 2 foot below the target. Then I remembered that the insert can be changed and therefore lowered. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow. If nothing else I'll get a taller front sight. I really like this full buckhorn sight. Kinda wish I'd done it sooner.

The standard sight on the new generation of Henry's resembles a millet sight, and has always worked for me out to 100 yards, although to use them in SASS I must put black tape over the rear diamond.

BSD

Archived