SASS Wire Forum

Budget Bolt Guns

I've recently gotten the bug for a bolt gun in .308, and don't want to go bust in the process.

Was wondering if any pards have any experiences or trigger time with the Savage Axis, Marlin X7, or Mossberg ATR?

They can all be had locally for right around $300 (+ or - $25), which fits nicely in the budget.

I have an Axis in .308 Win. I really like it. I can only shoot light loads with my replaced shoulder. Using lead 170 gr at 1800 fps, it shoots a 2" group at 100 yards. It comes with a 4 round magazine, but I found a guy that will convert a magazine to 10 rounds.

The Mossberg has a light stock which makes the recoil a little sharper. Doesn't have a floorplate so unloading the mag isn't quick. I don't consider that a big deal.

The one I tried felt very good ergonomically. It has iron sights which I think is a plus in case you want to shoot while you save up for an expensive scope.

I haven't bought one...yet. ;)

Capt I've not shot any of the models you list but if you dont have a big bunch of folks jumping in here about Savage well somebody isnt paying attention. As far as I'm concerned they make the best gun for the money out there. Have one of their pre accu trigger 110 tactical rifles and if it had the same stock my Mk II TR does I'd be even happier with it.

Had two axis's both shot under an moa if off rests if you fired from the sholder it wasall over the place. The wrist flexes too much. As a plinking gun id tecommend it as a hunting rifle id pass

Had two axis's both shot under an moa if off rests if you fired from the shoulder it was all over the place. The wrist flexes too much.

I noticed they all have some rather flimsy looking plastic stocks, so replacing it with a Boyds ... http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/default.asp ... is already part of the plan.

Savage Model 12... More accurate out of the box thyan most worked on Remington 700's... Almost on par with a USMC issue M40A2....

I have an old Savage 110.

Very inexpensive and very unimpressive in appearance.

Very reliable.

Very accurate.

;)

My Savage Axis, in .223, was $279 on-line.

Needed an after-market trigger, the original was very gritty.

Put a 3 - 9 x 40mm scope on it and it gives sub-moa groups at 100 yards even with cheap PMC ammo :)

Fantastic value for the money.

I have a Savage Model 10 LE (heavy barrel) .308 which is a Great rifle at a Great price. Highly recommend it. Added a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 scope and replaced the original stock with a Bell & Carlson tactical (and recouped about $70 selling the original stock on eBay), and so for maybe $1000 total invested have a rifle that is at least equilivent to, or outperforms, many of the "elite" brands that cost several times more.

Bucky

My Savage Edge, (pre Axis), in .223 Rem, has been a sub-MOA shooter sense I took it out of the box. No accu-triger but it breaks clean with no creep. Came with a scope mounted and bore sighted. I've also found good deals on a 1903A3 and a K98K that are real sweet shooters with reduced load cast lead bullets. :)

Ya know, sometimes we just plumb don't think 'bout some of the things in our safes... but as I'm sittin' here this morning slurpin' my first cup o' coffee I remembered one of my son's favorite rifles.

For not a whole lot more money than the Savage (don't let the MSRP scare ya - you can do better!) you might consider the Weatherby Vanguard. Although marketed as a Weatherby, it's actually a Howa - good quality Japanese production, but backed by the boys from Paso Robles.

A very sweet rifle indeed! ;)

Savage with the Accu-trigger. Best bang for ^_^ the buck in my book.

+1

I have a Savage 10FP in .308. Sub-moa groups with 168gr FGMM out of the box. I did replace the flimsy plastic stock with a Bell & Carlson fiberglass one, but other than that (and the Krylon paint) it is bone stock. The way that Savage manufacturers their rifles makes them inherently accurate. The barrel nut attachment means that the headspace is dead nuts on for every rifle without having to turn or blueprint the barrel. It also makes it easy for the home gunsmith to change barrels.

For a budget build, you can start with a Stevens 200 (made by Savage). Put a bull barrel, better stock, and an aftermarket trigger, and you have a nice custom rifle build for a reasonable inexpensive price.

As stated, see if you can locate a Stevens 200 in either .243 or 7-08. I was able to buy a NIB rifle from Academy for under $200 (about 18 months ago) so it should be no problem to find a used one. Go to Midway USA and you can get an ER Shaw .308 barrel (threaded - so you can attach a flash hider, brake, or just put a thread protector on it) for $137.99. The trigger will be nowhere near as nice as an aftermarket or Accutrigger but it can be slicked up some. Add an aftermarket stock (Bell & Carlson for one) for under $100.

One thing to pay attention to with ALL Savage rifles - there are currently three versions (that I am aware of) out in the world. All new Stevens & Savage rifles use (the very same) actions, which are center-feed. The original actions were staggered-feed. You can tell the difference by measuring the distance between the action screws. Stocks are not interchangeable between the two variants. Some older Stevens & Savage rifles also used an intermediate length action - again, you can tell which one you have by measuring the distance between the action screws. Current (3rd generation) production (2006-present) measures 4.400" center-to-center, 2nd generation production measures 4.275" center-to-center, and the intermediate length measures 4.522" center-to-center.

Edit to add: Axis/Edge rifles due not have the aftermarket support nor the interchangeability of Stevens 200 or other Savage rifles.

Savage 110 tactile got me through sniper school. Shot as well as any other rifle there. Only thing is follow up shots are difficult. The bolts on a Remington cock as you close the bolt. On a savage, they cock as you open the bolt. That tends to pull you off target.

I have an old Savage 110.

Very inexpensive and very unimpressive in appearance.

Very reliable.

Very accurate.

;)

Dang burn Hardpan, took all the good words right out of my mouth.

Archived