SASS Wire Forum

Injured vet’s guns stolen by D.C.

I apologize if this is a duplicate.

What is wrong with our priorities? First, sending the cops to collect overdue book fines from a 4 year old girl now this.

After being injured on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan, Lt. Augustine Kim spent the night in a D.C. jail for possessing unregistered guns.

Injured vet’s guns stolen by D.C.

He's probably been added to the TSA no fly list by now. :angry: :angry:

It ain't right - especially to one who serves our country.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1

I had a problem getting one of my shotguns out of US Customs when I returned from a tour in W. Germany. They gave me the same run around as the LT. My mother-in-law eventually called her US Senator. The Senator called Customs and three days later I had my shotgun.

Maybe the LT should call his US Senator.

His mistake was giving permission to search the vehicle....

I have harped on this for years.... You have a right, guaranteed by The Constitution in the 4th Amendment to unlawful Search An Seizure.

NEVER GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS!!!

His mistake was giving permission to search the vehicle....

I have harped on this for years.... You have a right, guaranteed by The Constitution in the 4th Amendment to unlawful Search An Seizure.

NEVER GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS!!!

Understand your point Sarge,

I guess the soldier's to blame 'cause he figured he was on the same side of the officers - the good side.

I had a problem getting one of my shotguns out of US Customs when I returned from a tour in W. Germany. They gave me the same run around as the LT. My mother-in-law eventually called her US Senator. The Senator called Customs and three days later I had my shotgun.

Maybe the LT should call his US Senator.

Absolutely. Every Senator (and Congressman) has a constituant service person or persons, whose entire function is to help people in their district to resolve problems like this. Given the totality of the circumstances, and the fact that this is an election year for some folks, I would think this is an EXCELLENT opportunity for a bright-eyed incumbant to do a good deed and get some good press, too.

From personal experience, this is not uncommon. I too had a gun seized in a major city, as part of a dispute over carry laws. Even after that dispute was resolved in my favor, it took 15 months of wrangling with the police department to get the gun back. Of course, the leather, the spare magazine, and the very high quality ammo was never returned, and the gun had been heavily fired (and not cleaned) and thoroughly marked up by latent prints and ballistics folks. In gun-unfriendly areas, we are the enemy, no matter how much "in the right" we are.

LL

LL

Most military personnel are reluctant to contact congress members. It tends to start a ... series of events. <_<

But in this case he might want to go ahead and do it. Or at least get some Vets groups on it. The DC media probably won't be much help.

Understand your point Sarge,

I guess the soldier's to blame 'cause he figured he was on the same side of the officers - the good side.

Gunner, that is absolutely THE most assinine statement that you have ever made about me.

If you have ever read any of my posts, I am a staunch advocate of upholding people's Civil Rights. At no time did I ever say or allude that it was the soldier's fault and I take great affront to your implication.

Gunner, that is absolutely THE most assinine statement that you have ever made about me.

If you have ever read any of my posts, I am a staunch advocate of upholding people's Civil Rights. At no time did I ever say or allude that it was the soldier's fault and I take great affront to your implication.

Sarge...I didn't mean what you think. You should know that about me. My wording wasn't the best I guess.

Sarge...I didn't mean what you think. You should know that about me. My wording wasn't the best I guess.

Friend, it did come across to me in that manner. I am not upset with you, it was what was said that set me off...

I have been advising everybody here for years to never willfully allow a search, whether you have anything to hide or not. That "You got something to hide?" is a ploy to make you feel intimidated and is actually something to bring up in a trial as you are now placed in a position od giving permission under duress. I just wish that somebody with a background in Constitutional Law and 4th Amendment training could have given this man a little education before it's too late. IMHO, the D.C. ruling is binding on residents of D.C. only. Out od State residents are covered by Federal Interstate Transport Laws. He abided by them in every way according to the news article. he should get an attorney and file a motion for a Court Ordered Release of Property. Then whoever the nitwit was that decided that he cannot get his property back can be forced to submit to a Judge's Order and failure or refusal to do so would make him in contempt of a Judge's Order and he could be held indefinitely until he complies or the Judge retires or dies...

I have advised my Officers that were under my Supervision to disregard instructions given by Command Personnel to stop and search vehicles for weapons and drugs. They got away with liability because at the end of their instructional video, they said "But do it smartly". leaving the poor Beat Copper left to hold the bag for a warrantless search. BTW, we are not only allowed but required to disregard any orders that are unlawful... Doing so can bring great heat from the ball less command staff that will hide in the weeds to get you but it sure beats standing in Federal Court and giving up your home and 40% of your future earnings to punitive damages...

Even though I was the Police, I do not, nor have I ever believed in a Police State. IMHO, this is a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment.

IMHO, the D.C. ruling is binding on residents of D.C. only. Out of State residents are covered by Federal Interstate Transport Laws.

SGT,

It thought city laws supersede FIT laws. Chicago has confiscated/arrested legal gun owners flying in to Chicago or driving through Chicago.

I guess the best bet is to go the long way...

SGT,

It thought city laws supersede FIT laws. Chicago has confiscated/arrested legal gun owners flying in to Chicago or driving through Chicago.

I guess the best bet is to go the long way...

If this actually happened in Chicago, it was illegal. I have worked O'Hare Airport Detail and on numerous occasions have been requested by TSA personnel to examine firearms to ensure that they were unloaded in transit. Those were smart TSA Agents. They knew when to admit not knowing something. I also had a few argue that transporting firearms was illegal and I abruptly corrected them..

FYI, bringing unloaded, cased firearms through Chicago is not a crime and Federal laws supercede City ordinance. Chicago's firearms registration laws are only applicable to residents of Shitcago....

Sometimes, Cops still need to pull out the Law books and read what is written instead of relying on word of mouth and opinions... I was smart enough that if I didn't know, I'd look it up before giving my decision as to how the incident will be handled. There's no crime in saying that you don't know something. The problem rests with know it alls that don't know squat....

If this actually happened in Chicago, it was illegal. I have worked O'Hare Airport Detail and on numerous occasions have been requested by TSA personnel to examine firearms to ensure that they were unloaded in transit. Those were smart TSA Agents. They knew when to admit not knowing something. I also had a few argue that transporting firearms was illegal and I abruptly corrected them..

FYI, bringing unloaded, cased firearms through Chicago is not a crime and Federal laws supercede City ordinance. Chicago's firearms registration laws are only applicable to residents of Shitcago....

Sometimes, Cops still need to pull out the Law books and read what is written instead of relying on word of mouth and opinions... I was smart enough that if I didn't know, I'd look it up before giving my decision as to how the incident will be handled. There's no crime in saying that you don't know something. The problem rests with know it alls that don't know squat....

I may not agree with everything you say Sergeant but you my hero now.

proud father of 3 jarhead and a soon to be squid :D :D :D :D

Sergeant Smokepole

From time to time I have put my foot in my mouth over people picking on defense attorneys, by making replies that we are a line of defense from the police. I learned from the error of my ways that we are only one line of defense from those individual officers that exceed their authority. It is clear that you are what I can only describe as a patriot, serving your country in many ways throughout your life and often paying the price for being in an unpopular position. This post reminds me that we cannot paint with a broad stroke on these issues. If we tell the jokes enough, we forget about the patriots and heroes like yourself that do the right thing day in and day out.

Thank you

I gotta agree with J. Mark.

Although we have never met, Sarge, you are on the short list of folks I want to posse with for a shoot one day, and a sit-down after to break bread and swap lies.

Sergeant Smokepole

From time to time I have put my foot in my mouth over people picking on defense attorneys, by making replies that we are a line of defense from the police. I learned from the error of my ways that we are only one line of defense from those individual officers that exceed their authority. It is clear that you are what I can only describe as a patriot, serving your country in many ways throughout your life and often paying the price for being in an unpopular position. This post reminds me that we cannot paint with a broad stroke on these issues. If we tell the jokes enough, we forget about the patriots and heroes like yourself that do the right thing day in and day out.

Thank you

+1

Chick

Yup. Cops who don't know the laws they are enforcing are lazy. They cause problems, trample on people's rights, and are eventually a liability to their departments. Seen it many times. :angry:

They think they're on a TV show sometimes and "Book em on suspicion". :wacko:

I'll be seeing Sgt. Smokepole in about a week at the St. Judes shoot and I will personally hug him and thank him for his service from all of us here on the wire.

I thank him every time I see him :wub:

people please... You're making me blush. I need no thanks. What I have done, I did as a result of my upbringing. I came from simple Depression Era parents. dad's side were Dirt Farmers and Mom's side were Polish Immigrants. Don't ask how the hell they got together.....lol. I was raised to understand that people are people and to treat everyone as you would your Grandparents. Failure to do so resulted in mighty stiff punishment. My life od Service began as a young child. I was a Boy Scout that had enough Merit badges to make Eagle Scout but couldn't pass the 1st Class swim test. (I do not float and have made all kinds of winning bets when I walked on the bottom of a 10 foot deep pool. I aint Jesus Christ, no blasphemy intended) I came this close to going into the Seminary and becoming a Priest but I realized that I would not have been a good one. I instead decided to become a Marine, a childhood dream and upon earning my EGA, I went through Infantry School, Recon School and Scout Sniper School and departed for a 22 month paid vacation to RVN and points North and West. I was not right in the head if you know what I mean and lost my Faith for a number of years, got married turned into a drunk and after 6 months as a civilian, needed to get my self out of the bottle so I went into the Reserves, retiring after 4 years Active Duty and 24 years Reserves. I worked as a metal Polisher, doing part time work as a Carpenter, Mechanic, Electrician and whatever else would come along to support my family. I raced cars, spending a lot more than I won in prizes and sponsor money. I became a Lawdog in 1982 and proudly plied my trade as honestly as I could until 2010 when I retired. All the while remembering what an old Black Man that I worked with a s a Metal Polisher said to me. Ted told me "Boy, you can lose your car. You can lose your dog, You can lose your life but you have to give up your integrity." This is the way that I grew up. He and my dad knew each other for 40 years.

Thanks? None needed. I got more out of serving than I gave it. I learned to be a Man. Have Integrity. I have a brick at the Chicago Police memorial in Chicago, where the names of the Fallen CPD Officers are placed and it has a motto that I learned. I don't remember where I first heard it but it is not original. "Honor Above All Else". Now, my years are spent helping my kids, especially my daughter as I help to take care of her 2 sons that I love more than life itself. Time with them is a joy, not an effort regardless of how many directions I get pulled or how my plans get trashed because something popped up in the lives of my Family. I also curmudgeon here in my off time between the Grandsons. I thank my Parents daily in my prayers as they are both gone now, Dad in 84 and Mom in 94, for not allowing me to become a shithead as I tried so hard to become. With their guidance, I can stand tall and say as said in a Bar Mitzvah, Today, I am a Man... I thank you all for your thanks but I really don't feel like I did anything special to merit it. I did what I did as so many others have done before me and since.

Fancy, I am really looking forward to next weekend.....

people please... You're making me blush. I need no thanks. What I have done, I did as a result of my upbringing. I came from simple Depression Era parents. dad's side were Dirt Farmers and Mom's side were Polish Immigrants. Don't ask how the hell they got together.....lol. I was raised to understand that people are people and to treat everyone as you would your Grandparents. Failure to do so resulted in mighty stiff punishment. My life od Service began as a young child. I was a Boy Scout that had enough Merit badges to make Eagle Scout but couldn't pass the 1st Class swim test. (I do not float and have made all kinds of winning bets when I walked on the bottom of a 10 foot deep pool. I aint Jesus Christ, no blasphemy intended) I came this close to going into the Seminary and becoming a Priest but I realized that I would not have been a good one. I instead decided to become a Marine, a childhood dream and upon earning my EGA, I went through Infantry School, Recon School and Scout Sniper School and departed for a 22 month paid vacation to RVN and points North and West. I was not right in the head if you know what I mean and lost my Faith for a number of years, got married turned into a drunk and after 6 months as a civilian, needed to get my self out of the bottle so I went into the Reserves, retiring after 4 years Active Duty and 24 years Reserves. I worked as a metal Polisher, doing part time work as a Carpenter, Mechanic, Electrician and whatever else would come along to support my family. I raced cars, spending a lot more than I won in prizes and sponsor money. I became a Lawdog in 1982 and proudly plied my trade as honestly as I could until 2010 when I retired. All the while remembering what an old Black Man that I worked with a s a Metal Polisher said to me. Ted told me "Boy, you can lose your car. You can lose your dog, You can lose your life but you have to give up your integrity." This is the way that I grew up. He and my dad knew each other for 40 years.

Thanks? None needed. I got more out of serving than I gave it. I learned to be a Man. Have Integrity. I have a brick at the Chicago Police memorial in Chicago, where the names of the Fallen CPD Officers are placed and it has a motto that I learned. I don't remember where I first heard it but it is not original. "Honor Above All Else". Now, my years are spent helping my kids, especially my daughter as I help to take care of her 2 sons that I love more than life itself. Time with them is a joy, not an effort regardless of how many directions I get pulled or how my plans get trashed because something popped up in the lives of my Family. I also curmudgeon here in my off time between the Grandsons. I thank my Parents daily in my prayers as they are both gone now, Dad in 84 and Mom in 94, for not allowing me to become a shithead as I tried so hard to become. With their guidance, I can stand tall and say as said in a Bar Mitzvah, Today, I am a Man... I thank you all for your thanks but I really don't feel like I did anything special to merit it. I did what I did as so many others have done before me and since.

Fancy, I am really looking forward to next weekend.....

Guess I'm just thankful that men like you and others here exists.....;)

I derive great pleasure with all my SASS friends.

Well Sarge my point was I respect you, and yet I've said things poorly in the past that would be comprable to what was said here, but I didn't really mean for it to come out the way it did.

Be glad to posse with you at a shoot sometime but I ain't giving you any damn hugs.

From the descendants of polish/russian/austrian immigrants during the late 1800's We were never poor, but often broke.

Mark, there is no crime in being poor. I grew up poor but my Mom always made sure that my body and clothes were clean and I had patches on my patches of my pants....I also have never been afraid or reluctant to accept a man's hand with honest dirt on it. Honest labor is God's work.

I am happy that I retained my family values and didn't turn snobbish as I got more affluent as some have. Hell, I have dress blue jeans for crying out loud. I wear a duit to weddings and funerals. I enjoy hearing a person's honest hatred and contempt. I can't stand back stabbers and I enjoyed a reputation at my Department, spoken by the older guys that have been around me long enough to understand. The younger Coppers, we refer to them as Hair Gels, would gripe and grouse about "Sarge is busting my chops about deficiencies in my paperwork." The older guys would remind them that I am doing it to teach them to be better Cops and that word of the adjustment never made it to the Lt. or Capt., much less higher....I was known never to blindside anyone... I could live with being called a hardass because I demanded quality from my subordinates. Anything less was substandard and therefore, not acceptable. As an Attorney, you have probably run into a few Coppers that when you are perusing the paperwork, find no wiggle room to attack and therefore recommend a plea agreement. I have taught as a Field Training Officer as well as Sergeant that the best compliment that you get is when your name gets known in the Public Defender's Office and you arrive for the preliminary hearing and get notified that a plea agreement has been reached. I screwed myself out of a lot of OT this way but I saw it as a compliment. I also never took it personal when an aggressive Defense Attorney pushed me hard because I knew that this was his job. I played my game and he played his was my motto.... In fact, many times I would meet a young PD in the hallway afterward and offer praise for a good defense.

Another thing that I always did and required my Officers to do is to document everything. Not just what would help the prosecution. It is the job of the jury or the Judge in a bench trial to determine what is relevant. I guess that I am a bit of a throwback to different times, a dinosaur so to speak. I just pray that the lessons taught to the over 50 Recruits that I have Field Trained and the hundreds of Officers that I have supervised over 28 years continue on to other generations and are not lost to laziness.

The same went for my time in The Corps. I saw too many people looking only to get their tickets punched and move on. If I had a subordinate that was deficient, rather than just giving him low ratings to get rid of him, I would try to find their strong points and seed off of that. Senior NCO's are Teachers as well as administrators and often forget that. It takes more effort to do this but I found it very rewarding to get that young Marine back on track after The Corps has invested so much time and money into them. One that comes to mind was a Lance Corporal that had almost 6 years in The Corps and my predecessor was willing to drop the hammer on him when his 6 year enlistment was up.He was a clerk and couldn't spell, much less type. I got him into school as an Armorer and he was promoted soon to Corporal. He did so well that I heard that he eventually retired as a Gunnery Sergeant, all because I did the right thing, what I was taught by my family that people are not disposable. I didn't do this for attaboys. I did it because it was the right thing to do and The Corps needed Men like him.

My point is that doing the right thing should be expected, not thanked for. Some place, our society has lost focus of that..

In other words, it's The Cowboy Way!!!

people please... You're making me blush.

A blushing Gunny.

That's a first! :lol:

Archived