SASS Wire Forum

Practice (Dry Firing Cap& Ball Guns)

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

I have really been trying to increase my times with these pistols. Last week I really wanted to have a great shoot at LandRun and had alot of problems. At first I thought it was the caps but it turned out that it was my nipples. I had been doing to much dry firing with them. I still shot the match clean but I paid for it dearly. Having to take the time and pull the cap off that didn't fire and replace it or when the cap didn't go off go all the way around again with the cylnder to hit the cap agian to set it off. Come to find out I had screwed up the nipple from dry firing. And when I say dry fire I would pull the gun from holster and caulk the hammer and maybe pull the trigger and let the hammer fall. Then pull the other gun and do it again. Trying to work on my muscle memory. I'm shooting it double duelist. I have replaced the nipples and everything is back to running like it should. But my real question is. How can one really practice with the ROA and not hurt the gun? I can pull the nipples and let the hammer fall on the shoulders but I wounder if over time will that do damage to the gun? So with all that said I"m interested to see what other folks do to help increase there times with cap and ball guns?

Thanks Deacon Stone :blink:

Cut chunks of eraser to fill the well to where there is no metal to metal contact.

Oh yea, I know a learned lesson late but never, ever dry fire a gun with nipples.

Yo Deacon;

You don't have to fully load the buggers, just put caps on the nipples to protect them and pop away. Save your Remmie 10's for matches and scrounge some cheaper CCI's for your practice sessions. Caps alone will trip a timer so you can measure your improvement without using up powder and ball. Crack the garage door, put a fan behind you and have fun. The neighbors will think you are remodeling with a stud gun.

Or you could take the Treso's off and put the old Ruger nipples back in.

Or both.

Dang. I'm trying awful hard to let you beat me!!!

You can cut some pieces of aquarium tubing a bit longer than each nipple, slide it over the nipple and dry fire. The tubing cushions the hammer fall. It won't last forever, so check it every once in awhile and replace as needed.

You can also cut pieces a bit shorter than the caps you are using and slip the caps into it. It makes great cap keepers, prevents caps from falling off and jamming the action. Downside to that is you must cap by hand, as they won't fit in any cappers that I know of.

Pulp I had forgot about that. I read that some years ago before I had gotten into these great guns. I wounder could a guy go a step futher and apply silicone to the center of the tube and how that might work. Use it on a set of old nipples. I like that idea. I'm surprised that a company hasn't built some type of screw in snape cap.

Deacon Stone

Hey Deacon Stone,

A little tongue in cheek for today and I feel giddy for some reason. So, here's my solution to your problem. Get yerself them conversion cylinders for example My ROA Conversion - Plus Scroll down past the guncart nonsense and maybe enjoy how I load my ROA at a match. Ha, ha, think EEPUG 45-147 fer yer bullets!

Think ya get the same hammer pull, hammer fall, trigger pull, by using commercial or home made snap caps.

Joy T Brew

Get some "Pink" 1/8 fuel-line used on snowmobiles and cut it a lttle longer the the cones of your nipples ,,, works like a shock-abbsorber and being "pink" you won't forget to remove it ....

Works greatand done right it lasts for a lot of hammer drops ... Don't forget to put it on all the nipples ,,,,, not just 5..

Jabez Cowboy

Deacon Stone:

My cap and ball revolver dry fire method is simple, pull back the hammer and leave my thumb on the hammer, get sight picture and pull trigger, my thumb lets the hammer down with out impact. The muzzle rises simulating recoil. Repeat for 5.

Fordyce Beals

• 2 weeks later...

Shorten the nipples to the point where the hammer is just short of the point of contact with the nipple. It will still fire a cap placed on the nipple, but will not peen the nipple. Then you can just snap away to your hearts content without doing anything else.

J-Bar's suggestion is a good one. I have a source for cheap #11 caps which work well for this application.

I have also cut a piece of heavy leather about an inch long and 3/8 wide that will just fit in the hammer channel. This catches the hammer and allows no metal to metal at all.

You can also renovate the mushroomed nips by chucking the threads into a cordless drill and rotating, slowly, the side of the nipple against a good file. Cut the mushroom sides off and re-install the renovated nipples. Works. I put a little radius on mine so the caps start on easier.

Now my only hope if we get you squared away is for you to break an arm or something.

Archived