SASS Wire Forum

Baseball fans

Rye Miles #13621

Well, the Cubs lived up to their expectations.....they lost their first game. :(

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long ball game in Cleveland last night. 16 innings and the tribe came away empty.

Rye is gonna be unhappy today. :unsure:

Assuming Rye is an Indians fan, he's prolly gonna be purty sore at Chris Perez (or the manager bringin' him in to close it with only 3 innings pitched in spring training) for blowin' the 4-1 lead in the 9th which lead to the Opening Day barn-burner....and the loss. :blink: I think I'd have let Masterson try to finish it, but that's just me.

Chick

Naw, the season started yesterday in San Diego.

My $2.1 Billion Doggies v the Pods. Kemp hit his first HR. A 2 dinger.

Assuming Rye is an Indians fan, he's prolly gonna be purty sore at Chris Perez (or the manager bringin' him in to close it with only 3 innings pitched in spring training) for blowin' the 4-1 lead in the 9th which lead to the Opening Day barn-burner....and the loss. :blink: I think I'd have let Masterson try to finish it, but that's just me.

Chick

I already talked about this ugly game on page one of this post. Yep I agree Masterson had 10 strikeouts going into the 9th. The record for opening day strikeouts is 11!!!!! Manny Acta (the mgr.) is an idiot. He's a typical "by the book" mgr. Me thinks it's gonna be a loooong summer and I need to retract that statement about the Tribe winning the AL East. I'll take my crow broiled with some garlic and a bottle of rye whiskey to wash it down please :wacko:

Rye

...and I need to retract that statement about the Tribe winning the AL East.

I can guarantee the Tribe won't win the AL East........cuz they're in the AL Central. :lol:

....and I feel your pain.....I'm a life-long Orioles fan..... ;)

Chick

You guys make me sick. You have no idea what long suffering is all about.

You should be a Mariner's fan. Always at the banquet and never a sitting.

Ahem.....my O's haven't had a winning record (over .500) in 15 years. I don't think YOU understand "long-suffering." :lol:

.....but as of today, we're 3 games over .500! :o

Chick

I can guarantee the Tribe won't win the AL East........cuz they're in the AL Central. :lol:

....and I feel your pain.....I'm a life-long Orioles fan..... ;)

Chick

Whoops, yer right my bad!

Rye

• 2 weeks later...

How 'bout dem Bums?!?

Dodgers: 12-3 .800! Three weeks into the season.

And the Cubbies have already been mathematically eliminated.

Looks like Texas and Dodgers own the two leagues.

Our Mariners had a perfect game yesterday. No runs, no hits, not good.

But that is what happens when you let those ruffians from Chicago into town.

Shades of Lawrence, Kansas all over like again, like Deja Vu.

How 'bout dem Bums?!?

Dodgers: 12-3 .800! Three weeks into the season.

And the Cubbies have already been mathematically eliminated.

Rockies went 18-7 in April last year, and finished in 4th place in the west with a 73-89 record. :rolleyes:

It's a long season. ;)

But hope springs eternal. :lol:

Humber throws a perfect game for the Chisox against the Mariners, and the Yanks spank the Red Sox on their 100th aniversary at Fenway!! :lol:

Spanked 'em again too!! :lol::lol:

Humber throws a perfect game for the Chisox against the Mariners, and the Yanks spank the Red Sox on their 100th aniversary at Fenway!! :lol:

Spanked 'em again too!! :lol::lol:

Only the 21st time a perfect game was thrown in ALL of MLB history. Amazing!

Rye

The Kansas City Royals have quickly established themselves in the AL Central basement.

You really have to love baseball to be a Royals fan! I am.

And your point is? <_<

No point to make. Just the two biggest things that happened in MLB this weekend, and then the Yankees' comeback yesterday was pretty impressive.

Anytime the Yankees lose is a good day for baseball.

BMC, we agree wholeheartedly on this one. ;)

As a kid, I had a T-shirt that read, "My favorite two teams are the Baltimore Orioles and whoever's playing the NY Yankees." :D

My Orioles have actually managed to stay above .500 so far.....but I ain't holdin' my breath. :rolleyes:

Chick

Well.... I confess to being a Yankees fan. I lived outside NYC for several years as a kid and new how to hitchhike into the Bronx and Flushing to catch games at Yankee Stadium, The Polo Grounds, and Shea.

I was also adept at finding ways into games for free.

Without any wish to make anyone mad, the Yanks are the benchmark by which all baseball teams, and maybe all professional sports teams are measured. SO many legendary players and so many legendary games, not to mention so many championships, even the Green Bay Packers and the mighty Celtics pale in comparison.

There are many good baseball teams and all of your favorites deserve their places in your hearts, but without the Yanks, Major League Baseball would be small time. :FlagAm::FlagAm:

Oh yeah! I'm a fan of the Mets too. I got all As in psycology in high school because of a bet on the '69 World Series. My teacher was from Baltimore!! :lol::lol::lol:

Without any wish to make anyone mad, the Yanks are the benchmark by which all baseball teams, and maybe all professional sports teams are measured.

I would only amend this slightly to read, "Without any wish to make anyone mad, the Yanks and their bank account are the benchmark by which all baseball teams...." :lol:

Without a doubt, I give the Yankees their due when it comes to the many, many great players who have worn pinstripes. The game is much different today with the large sums paid to players. It's not a level playing field....but I'm not sure I'd change it. Just because you pay A-Rod (who I personally despise) or Jeter (who I personally think is a class act) that much money, doesn't necessarily mean that you'll win the WS. I get a kick out of watching "small market" teams develop talent and compete with teams with double (or more) than their payroll.

Although I grew up an Oriole fan, I would probably still dislike the Yankees because of this market disparity. They simply buy whatever they need, whenever they need it. I guess I'm a purist....I like players who play the game for the love of it, and not because someone offered them millions of dollars to do it.

I think one of the immediate trends I see is the small market teams are seeing true talent very early and locking it up when the player is still very young (i.e. TB with Longoria and Matt Moore). This way, the small market team(s) don't become the talent develpment pool for the Yankees. IMO, of course.

My neighbor is a NYY fan. Whenever she knows I'm coming over, she wears a Yankee cap or shirt. I enjoy the good-natured ribbing that goes with the Yankee v. Anti-Yankee fans. It is, after all, just a game. :)

Chick

Backwater, I agree with Chick. It is just a game and I enjoy the bumps and down hill rides of it. I could care less who wins the American League pennant. Now the National League pennant is a whole new story. :lol:

I totally agree.

The Braves should always win the NL pennant! :lol:

Now the National League pennant is a whole new story. :lol:

With at least 1,000 miles between you and the nearest NL Team (SF?....Colorado?.... :huh: ), this comment worries me......but I'd admit that you've worried me for awhile anyways..... :D

Chick

Badger, knowin' you're from Chester Ill. I'm guessin' you're a Cards fan. Went to Busch Stadium a number of times. '86 and '87 were big years for the old Mets/Cards rivalry. Sad they've split that up 'cause it was one of the better division rivalries in baseball history! One of the best times I've had at a ballpark was during the '87 final weekend. It was down to the Cards and Mets for the division, (the Cards won it by one game) and I took my mom, Schoolmarm, and Hatfield to that weekend series. Hatfield was eight years old and he wore all of his Mets gear to the games. Thursday and Friday we sat in the lower mezanine seats, and aside from some friendly ribbing the little guy was treated like a prince. Even the vendors carried on with him. The Mets had to sweep to win the division and they dropped the first game by a run, if I recall, so folks were a little more celebratory but still polite. It was my son's first trip to a Major League Park.

We had seats in the nosebleed section for Sunday's game, and that may have been the worst experience I can remember in baseball, for me. The crowd was sparse, I guess because the division race was settled and only a few folks were up where we sat. There was one, I won't call him a fan, individual who chose to get obnoxiously drunk and use some of the worst language and behaviour I can ever recall. My mom is a little too polite and reserved and my son was, as I said, eight years old. I finally told this guy that if he couldn't behave himself, I'd be happy to throw him over the rail and onto the field. He mouthed again and I started up the bleachers after him. He got gone and the rest of the folks in that section applauded me. Some guy down at the other end of the section called to me and said, "That clown don't realize it's just a game!"

The best thing about baseball is that we can be rabid fans and still be friends, whether we support the same team or not!! :lol:

Backwater, I agree with Chick. It is just a game and I enjoy the bumps and down hill rides of it. I could care less who wins the American League pennant. Now the National League pennant is a whole new story. :lol:

So you're not a TRUE baseball fan just a National League fan??? LOL

I always root for the Dodgers in the NL, I got some family there and I was at Dodger stadium a long time ago and loved it. Dodger dogs are awesome! I remember the Brooklyn Dodgers ( I was a wee bit then) and have followed them a little ever since they moved.

Rye

I'd like to see an Indians/Dodgers WS in 2012!

My first baseball glove and bat were for serious lunch time games at St. Mary's diamond. The Nuns would sometime play with us. I cut my baseball teeth on the Cards and Sportsman Park. We would spend the summer afternoons sitting on the porch with Mr. Fox, who worked nights, loved the Cards and Falstaff beer. I remember when the Dodgers would come to St. Louis. It was a bitter time for me. They always seemed to upset the apple cart for the Cardinals. Dem Brooklyn Bums!

I guess it wasn't the baseball so much, as the folks that were surrounding me when baseball was in place.

My Grandmother was the biggest Card fan that I knew. She listened to every game on her big radio in the living room. Sit on the porch and listen through the window.

I must admit that growing up with the National League, I wonder why those American League pitchers can't bat?

My first baseball glove and bat were for serious lunch time games at St. Mary's diamond. The Nuns would sometime play with us. I cut my baseball teeth on the Cards and Sportsman Park. We would spend the summer afternoons sitting on the porch with Mr. Fox, who worked nights, loved the Cards and Falstaff beer. I remember when the Dodgers would come to St. Louis. It was a bitter time for me. They always seemed to upset the apple cart for the Cardinals. Dem Brooklyn Bums!

I guess it wasn't the baseball so much, as the folks that were surrounding me when baseball was in place.

My Grandmother was the biggest Card fan that I knew. She listened to every game on her big radio in the living room. Sit on the porch and listen through the window.

I must admit that growing up with the National League, I wonder why those American League pitchers can't bat?

The one thing I hate about the AL is that dam$%edDH!!! I wish they would get rid of it already but it ain't gonna happen. I can see the NL going to the DH before the AL eliminates it.

Rye

Tornadoes and heavy rains over the weekend of May 26-27 hit ten Southern and Midwestern states already damaged by flooding and caused at least 47 deaths.

Overflowing its banks in heavy spring rains, the Mississippi River flooded 11 million acres in seven states during March and April, causing 11 deaths and $382 million in damage and leaving 35,000 persons homeless.

MACV HQ is disbanded and the 18th MP Brigade leaves Saigon.

The withdrawal of all U.S. troops from South Vietnam is complete.

The Yom Kippur War brings United States and USSR to brink of conflict

The DH rule goes into effect.

Coincidence???

I think not. :angry:

HOLY SHINOLA

The Mariners beat Detroit. :)

But the Cubbies beat the Cards. <_<

.......and the Tribe is at .600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rye

Archived