SASS Wire Forum

broke Marlin

Noah Cash

I have read many threads on the wire on the attributes of the Marlin CB 94. Now I am at Winter Range and the Marlin is Hard Broke!!! The bolt has a piece of the face broken off allowing the cartridge to be off center and the firing pin to strike far enough off center that it will not fire, probably once out of every 40 or 50 shots. At a local match no big deal but here that is a major PIA.

Also have read many Henry Big Boy bashing threads that digress into how ugly they ar andun reliable. Mabe not the fastest and no loading gate and I cant speak for or against the shady advertizing cause I wasnt in the game at that time. But I can speak to the fact that as long as I keep a bit of oil on the bolt MINE DOES WORK and has never let me down. Slow action is better than no action. I know I aint gonna change anyone elses mind out there but those of you who shoot a Henry BB, dont swallow he fact that they cant get through a match. They can and actually do if given the opportunity.

B)

I have read many threads on the wire on the attributes of the Marlin CB 94. Now I am at Winter Range and the Marlin is Hard Broke!!! The bolt has a piece of the face broken off allowing the cartridge to be off center and the firing pin to strike far enough off center that it will not fire, probably once out of every 40 or 50 shots. At a local match no big deal but here that is a major PIA.

Also have read many Henry Big Boy bashing threads that digress into how ugly they ar andun reliable. Mabe not the fastest and no loading gate and I cant speak for or against the shady advertizing cause I wasnt in the game at that time. But I can speak to the fact that as long as I keep a bit of oil on the bolt MINE DOES WORK and has never let me down. Slow action is better than no action. I know I aint gonna change anyone elses mind out there but those of you who shoot a Henry BB, dont swallow he fact that they cant get through a match. They can and actually do if given the opportunity.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck @ WR. There should be at least one smith there that could help you out. A Marlin bolt might be a tough number to find but you never know. The guys @ Cowboys & Indians usually have a little of everything.

Don't give up on the Marlin. (unless it has a REM barrel stamp) You should see some of the really fast shooters there @ WR using Marlins.

Good Luck with the rest of the match.

Regards

Gideon B)

I'm guessing it's a .45 marlin and yes, those little "cartridge guides" (I normally call em something else) are sometimes really small and break off. TIG welder in the hands of a good smith is what is needed. Add some metal and re-fashion the guide.

Glad ya had something to get by with. But no, I still wouldn't brag too much on yer BB. It's like yer pickup is down and yer using yer lawn mower to get to the store. Works, but not a first option.....

Jimmy Spurs from Cowboy Gun Works is at WR. He specializes in Marlins. You may want to amble on by his tent.

Jake

I have TWO Marlin 94's in .45 Colt that both had the smallest 'tip' sheer off at the same time.

I compensated by bending my extractor down enough to help hold the case in place and they worked great.

Later, I decided to have them TIG welded back and they work just as good.

Both have now been converted over to WiddermAJiks in Cowboy .45 Special and I'm using one as my main match rifle. It might be the dangest little rifle you've ever seen.

ANYTHING can break at any time on ANY rifle, Pistol or SG.....no matter WHO has worked it over.

I'm glad you had a backup rifle. But ifn you dislike or distrust that Marlin now, I'm sure you can find some easy sucker to unload it on at WR for a couple hundred bucks..... ^_^

..........Widder

Would trust any one of the 3 Marlins my wife has over a BB any day.

But always good to have a back up for ANY gun at a big match. As any of them

can break. Seen way more BB's go down in a match than I ever have a Marlin.

And with SO many more Marlins in use. <_<

I may be mistaken, but don't the tips on the bolt face just help to guide the cartridge into the chamber? Once the round is chambered the tips shouldn't matter, the chamber will keep it centered. I was thinking I saw something where some guys will even grind down the tips slightly or remove certain ones altogether. Widder probably knows more about this than I do.

Doc, the issue is, without the guides, the case can get crooked on the way into the chamber, or worse, fall off the bolt face prematurely upon extraction, getting in the way of the incoming round. Either way yer stuffed if ya WAS running like hellzafire for buckle.

AJ's right!

Doc, your right in that the round is centered in the chamber and can be fired. And you are correct in that it is possible to remove one of those tips and still have a very functional rifle. But when one of those tips are removed, you will probably have to 'tweak' the extractor.

My original Widdermatic Marlin in .38 Spl has a removal of one of those bolt tips right below the extractor.

Both of my WiddermAJik's in C45S has the same tip removed. But, I compensated by tweaking my extractor to help hold the case rim onto the bolt face.

A good TIG welder can fix that bolt face and replace that little tip.

I wish EVERY Cowboy shooter could feel my latest Marlin in C45S. Most of them would rethink their opinion about the capabilities of a Marlin. My two Widdermatics in .38 are great rifles. A real dream to shoot.

But this latest Marlin set up for the C45S is the Gem of the Nile.

AJ's C45S cartridge can turn a .45 Marlin into something that seems unreal.

Advance the timing and set it correctly.

Cut the carrier to provide the correct angle feed and cartridge stop.

Drill a 'Blind Hole' and lengthen the ejector groove to move the ejector approx 1/4" forward and you will have a rifle that brings a smile to your face everytime you handle it.

If Remington had their hands on this rifle, they would marvel at its smoothness, reliablities and capabilities.

In all of its good qualities, it IS NOT a short stroke.

..........Widder

Thanks AJ and Widder, your wisdom is priceless. I am slowly trying to learn all I can about my beloved Marlins. I was just trying to think out the original poster's problem, I just couldn't see how once the round was chambered, that the firing pin could hit off center.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yup the BB is a backup and Im glad to have it. I will be lookin up Jimmy Spurs TODAY!!! If nothin else maybe he can take it with him and send it to me after he works it over. Biggest dig in my side is my honeybought me a '73!!! This is the Comanchero, already slicked up right from the factory. Smooth and fast yes but alas' not leagl in the B Western class and if i had other leather I could have switched catagory .

ANYTHING can break at any time on ANY rifle, Pistol or SG.....no matter WHO has worked it over.

Yup.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yup the BB is a backup and Im glad to have it. I will be lookin up Jimmy Spurs TODAY!!! If nothin else maybe he can take it with him and send it to me after he works it over. Biggest dig in my side is my honeybought me a '73!!! This is the Comanchero, already slicked up right from the factory. Smooth and fast yes but alas' not leagl in the B Western class and if i had other leather I could have switched catagory .

Your B-Western leather is legal in every Category except Classic Cowboy.

Randy

Some of the catagories require leather that keeps gun buts ABOVE top of gun belt while other require the gun but BELOW top of belt IIRC so it is not legal in all catagories but i dont have the sass handbook in front of me to verify at the moment

Randy told you right. Your BW leather is legal in EVERY category except Classic Cowboy(girl). That is the only category that requires the butt to ride above the belt. BW is the only category that requires the butts to ride below the top edge of the belt.

So you had a plethora of optional categories to switch to with that new 73. Well actually ALL of them but BW the 73 is legal.

Whenever you have access to the internet, you have access to the handbooks by following this link. I am particularly fond of page 28 and 29 in the RO1 Course. Most questions that arise during a match can be answered by looking at these two pages.

Regarding holsters:

Page 15 of the Shooters Handbook happens to contain both rules regarding holsters for Classic and "B" Western.

Classic Cowboy:

• No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on

which the holster hangs).

"B" Western:

• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried

below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be embellished (fancy

stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of the "Double Strong-Side"

type. No crossdraw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward configurations allowed.

"Here it is the rule in the book (one of "the" books)" always trumps "I think" or "so and so said"...at least it does in my book. :D

Thanks Buck, I knew there was specific reqmts but memory aint what it used to be. I am lookinforward togetting that 73 limbered up and barking

I have TWO Marlin 94's in .45 Colt that both had the smallest 'tip' sheer off at the same time.

I compensated by bending my extractor down enough to help hold the case in place and they worked great.

Later, I decided to have them TIG welded back and they work just as good.

Both have now been converted over to WiddermAJiks in Cowboy .45 Special and I'm using one as my main match rifle. It might be the dangest little rifle you've ever seen.

I'm glad you had a backup rifle. But ifn you dislike or distrust that Marlin now, I'm sure you can find some easy sucker to unload it on at WR for a couple hundred bucks..... ^_^

..........Widder

Yup - just ask Deuce Stevens - or any other folks like him that run the snot out of those things!!

He recognizes that in this sport and the obscene practice and matchs that one does to become the best that parts do fail. I beleive he still is a Marlin fan ;) ..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived