SASS Wire Forum

What is an "undercut" front sight.

The Incognito Bandito

Couple of weeks ago I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44magnum with a 10 1/2 barrel from a co worker for a sweet song. Looking to use it for hunting and some cowboy shootin but was reading the rule book and I noticed that "undercut" front sights on revolvers are prohibiited.

I'm not sure if I can describe what the front sight looks like on MY revolver, so best I can do is have ya look at the Ruger website on the Super Blackhawk page at the 10 1/2 inch barrel model and that revolver has the same front sight as mine.

If that kind of front sight IS prohibited, what could I do to make it legal in a match?

A simple answer is: An undercut front sight is when the base of the sight is farther away from you than the top of the sight.

Well, with the "fishhook" angle cut into the rear side of the front sight, yes, that is an undercut sight. A gun smith could

1) recut it to take the hook out, leaving a sloped surface.

2) perhaps take the front sight off and replace it with part MR 13500, which might have to be soldered in place, as that standard shape sight does not seem to have a mounting screw. Or, perhaps even tap the replacement sight for the same mounting screw the undercut sight has.

3) weld up the back side of the original sight until it's a vertical plane, or whatever angle you want, just so that you don't have the top bigger than the bottom of the sight.

In any case, a 10 1/2 barrel is not going to fit any standard holster nor be very quick on target. Lop it off at a 6 1/2 inch length and have a sight mounted. Would be unique and more manageable.

Good luck, GJ

Couple of weeks ago I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44magnum with a 10 1/2 barrel from a co worker for a sweet song. Looking to use it for hunting and some cowboy shootin but was reading the rule book and I noticed that "undercut" front sights on revolvers are prohibiited.

I'm not sure if I can describe what the front sight looks like on MY revolver, so best I can do is have ya look at the Ruger website on the Super Blackhawk page at the 10 1/2 inch barrel model and that revolver has the same front sight as mine.

If that kind of front sight IS prohibited, what could I do to make it legal in a match?

Boy I hope it's not prohibited, I'm kind of looking forward to watching someone draw a 10.5" barrel pistol from holster........just kidding Bandito. :D

CS

Perhaps a read of the Shooter's handbook, under revolver sights might add a hint or two. There ain't nothing in there about "Undercut" sights. Have fun with yer pistolas!

Perhaps a read of the Shooter's handbook, under revolver sights might add a hint or two. There ain't nothing in there about "Undercut" sights. Have fun with yer pistolas!

Page 6 of your Shooters handbook.

• Adjustable sight revolver FRONT sights may not be undercut.

No worries Cypress...there's something about that loooong barrel, and being a .44 magnum that is quite appealing. SO, as soon as I get another Super, draw both at the same time a.k.a Gunfighter style, and commence to engaging some targets, that would indeed be some style points! Bully!

Years back, some shooters came out with a front sight that looked like a T from the shooter's viewpoint. I suppose the number of users grew, somebody complained and the rule was "passed". I suppose you could say it was not PC but then the handgun most used was the Blackhawk. It ain't really PC either. You can alter the slope, curve, wall, ........

The only way "undercut" fits is that there ain't no overhang. The true partridge sight is "undercut". The top of the rear of the sight "overhangs" the bottom rear of the sight.

There may be other explanations.

Howdy

Most undercut sights have a constant angle down from the top of the sight to the barrel or sight mount. The idea is to reduce glare. The rear face of the sight will usually be in shadow, so less glare.

Judging from the photo at the Ruger Website, all it would take is a few minutes of very careful filing and a little bit of touch up with cold blue to make that sight legal. Just continue the lower angle up to the top of the sight. Should not affect the point of impact at all, as long as you don't take anything off the top of the sight. You can also serrate the rear face of the sight, to reduce glare. Perfectly legal.

There are probably those who will say don't bother, nobody will give you any hassle for it at a local match. Probably true, but technically it is an undercut sight and is not SASS legal. You would probably get called on it at a larger match.

About long barrels; I shoot a 7 1/2" Colt that I keep in a regular strongside holster mounted backwards on my left side. I learned a long time ago that trying to pull a long barreled gun from a conventional high riding strong side holster can be difficult. It is difficult to keep from getting your elbow tangled in your armpit. Much easier when pulling it cross draw style from across the body, but of course the 170 rule needs to be observed. One reeaaaaallly long barrel might be fun, but it may get a bit tiresome if you have one on each side, particularly if one has to be pulled from a high riding straight hang holster on your strong side.

I suggest you mess around a bit with the one before you buy a twin for it. You may change your mind.

All the standard Blackhawks, including the Super (I have them), are not undercut. They all have vertical walls. Might be an optical illusion but it isn't undercut.

An 'undercut' front sight is a product in which a distributor snuck in the back door and sold it cheaper to your other distributor's customer...:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

All the standard Blackhawks, including the Super (I have them), are not undercut. They all have vertical walls. Might be an optical illusion but it isn't undercut.

Oh, but you are wrong there. Take a look at the enlarged parts diagram on the Ruger web site. It really is an undercut sight, and it is only factory available on the 10 1/2 inch barrel. The 7 1/2 barrels have a standard ramped sight.

Most of the undercut sight problem comes from the cut being on the back surface of the sight (target sights are sometimes cut that way). Undercuts on the sides of the front sight are really rare.

Here's a good thread on undercut front sights:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-246178.html

Good luck, GJ

In any case, a 10 1/2 barrel is not going to fit any standard holster nor be very quick on target.

I'm kind of looking forward to watching someone draw a 10.5" barrel pistol from holster........just kidding Bandito. :D

:lol:MY 18"ers & RIG (Rig not quite done in this pic)

AT A MATCH

Round that sight off and go shoot the thing!

Archived