SASS Wire Forum

Accuracy

:FlagAm: Just wondering, with all variables being equal, which is more accurate, a single action revolver or a semi auto fired single action? In a revolver the barrel is fixed but the bullet has to jump a gap to the barrel. The semi auto barrel usually moves to and from battery but has shell pre-positioned in barrel. Just wondering.

SaukValley Sam

I don't have an opinion, but I am really glad that it's not another post complaining about people calling SASS handguns pistols instead of revolvers. :rolleyes:

Interesting theoretical question. In reality, I've never noticed a difference. I've got targets with very small tight groups (25 yards) shot with both types of guns.

The other issue you'd run into in testing is the specs of the barrels and chambers, along with the ammo. I'm not sure a definitive answer could be arrived at.

It might come down to ammunition and distance.

Since revolvers can use more powerful ammunition, longer barrels,

the wheelgun has an advantage at longer distances ;)

:FlagAm: Good point. A buntline will probably shoot tighter groups than a 1911 at distance. With variables even though it is still a question . Lets say 5 1/2 inch barrels on each with ammo 9MM and above with loads tweaked for each firearm and NRA targets at average target distances. Then what? Given fired from a rest with human factors removed.

Don't know if I can rightly say.

My 1911 saved my bacon when I carryed it in Nam.

Took 5th place in my state match in my catagory.

For me, it's the semi auto's, but for a different reason.......the grips. For my big hands the grips of the Ruger P-95, Glock 19 and my 1911 are just a custom fit. The Colt & Ruger styles of the SA's, especially the Birds Head just have quite a bit of wiggle room and my accuracy suffers slightly.

BSD

Auto cause like Lumpy said there are multiple variables resulting from having six different chambers and timing issues with a revolver. Customizing could reduce variance but at a price. All I know is that you don't see Olympic shooters with revolvers.

Seems like a similar argument raged decades ago between Charles Askins and Skeeter Skelton.

With equally prepped firearms I don't think you would be able to find a difference.

You get to spend a boatload of money on either one.

:lol::excl:

When you consider the mechanics of a revolver, it's amazing you can hit the broad side of a barn with one, but even shoddy cap and ball revolvers are often surprisingly accurate. Theoretically the auto should have the edge, and as mentioned many autos can BE MADE to out shoot most any revolver. As far as out of the box common firearms it would be very hard to generalize. A Freedom Arms revolver will out shoot most autos. Many autos will outshoot many revolvers. All in all in the real world with out of the box guns it's probably too close to call.

My 2 cents,

JHC

Archived