SASS Wire Forum

Merry Christmas to Me!

Sage Creek Gus  SASS #64320

My good friend Bodie Camp just returned from Cody, Wyoming where he brought me a 5 ft. x 7 ft. steel buffalo target.

I'm going to take it over to the homestead next spring and set it up for my 1200 yard target.

Follow this link for some pictures and also more information on our annual long range shoot at the homestead which I posted in September.

Christmas Buffalo

Merry Christmas

Sage Creek Gus

When I first saw your post I thought you had been on a hunt and dropped a big shaggy. But having a neat target and a place to put it is great ,too. And I see from your pictures that you have the right tool to shoot either the target or the real buff.

Congrats , and good shootin' , Rex :D

My good friend Bodie Camp just returned from Cody, Wyoming where he brought me a 5 ft. x 7 ft. steel buffalo target.

I'm going to take it over to the homestead next spring and set it up for my 1200 yard target.

Follow this link for some pictures and also more information on our annual long range shoot at the homestead which I posted in September.

Christmas Buffalo

Merry Christmas

Sage Creek Gus

I just had'ta look, . . . was wonderin' from your heading . . . Ya got to take a buffalo hunt as a Xmas present ? . . or got buffalo meat for your winter eats ? . . or a live buffalo for a pet ( oh my God . . with the price of hay that wud be an expensive pet :blink: ),..... anhoooo... a guess a peice of steel is better than nothing,... :)

Have fun shootin' at it :excl::)

And have a Merry Christmas . . . .

Gus:

That's a drop-dead gorgeous piece of Earth, and you're a lucky fella to have it.

Turn your back to the utility pole, and you can just see the herd of buffalo coming up over the rise....

Enjoy and cherish it!

LL

I really enjoy going over there and so do my friends. My grandparents homesteaded this piece of land in 1914 when they got married. It is still in the family, my dad owns it now. We also have a summer cabin in Glacier National Park which my grandparents built in 1949. That is very special too.

I'm going to have electrical power service put in so we can plug in our trailers and really live in comfort. I spent a week over there last fall the end of september. In 2012 I'm going to have a shoot over the fifth week end of September.

I went through 540 rounds of 45-70 and over 2000 rounds of 22 rimfire this year.

Part of my alias comes from this place as it was at Sage Creek that my grandparents got water.

Sage Creek Gus

Now the question is weather you all will be able to hit it. :lol:

:wub:

Actually, the biggest question is how am I going to get it set up. I think I can get a tractor with loader from the rancher who leases the land but I'm not sure if we can get the tractor all the way to where I want to set it up. It's estimated to weigh about 300 lbs so I'm counting on several "friends with good backs" to give me a hand.

I'm also hoping I have enough elevation on my rear sight to reach that far.

Sage Creek Gus

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Great Christmas present!! Not many things better than shooting new steel...

InCahoots is gonna use my 45-90 to fill her bison tag on Wednesday this week. Should be a great trip and exciting for her.

Looks like ya got plenty of sights to get there so have fun!

Great Christmas present!! Not many things better than shooting new steel...

InCahoots is gonna use my 45-90 to fill her bison tag on Wednesday this week. Should be a great trip and exciting for her.

Looks like ya got plenty of sights to get there so have fun!

I hope I've got enough sight. The bullet drops another 700 inches between 1000 and 1200 yards.

I'll do a little calculating later to see if, in theory, I have enough sight.

SCG

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

We regularly shoot 1200 yards at a dinosaur target that my son and I shoot. I am pretty sure a case full of Swiss will get ya there no problem. I have enuff sight on my roller to reach 1500 with a Lee shaver sight. It's a hoot!

We regularly shoot 1200 yards at a dinosaur target that my son and I shoot. I am pretty sure a case full of Swiss will get ya there no problem. I have enuff sight on my roller to reach 1500 with a Lee shaver sight. It's a hoot!

Hey! Them dine-o-sours' is endangered species! Guess I better hide old Tricie Tops (my mount in my avitar). An' don't go throwin' out any dino droppings. They are considered endangered feces! :lol:

Merry Christmas to all! And to all, a Good Night! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless us, everyone! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Yes, he did! And with a little help from me, Kari Lynn, and Prairie Daisy, we culled Old Buff from the High Lonesome Drifter herd. In 8" of snow and 20 degree temp, though is was sunny and bright, we poked and prodded and guided the old buff into the trailer for the trip to his new home in Montana. He was so exhausted from the effort, he lay down for a nap. After we all caught our breath and said our farewells, Bodie headed the outfit north.

He never had a name 'cept Old Buff - that's what everyone called him. Hope he enjoys his new home. From the pictures, I'm sure he will.

Joe

Yes, he did! And with a little help from me, Kari Lynn, and Prairie Daisy, we culled Old Buff from the High Lonesome Drifter herd. In 8" of snow and 20 degree temp, though is was sunny and bright, we poked and prodded and guided the old buff into the trailer for the trip to his new home in Montana. He was so exhausted from the effort, he lay down for a nap. After we all caught our breath and said our farewells, Bodie headed the outfit north.

He never had a name 'cept Old Buff - that's what everyone called him. Hope he enjoys his new home. From the pictures, I'm sure he will.

Joe

Hey Joe

Thanks so much for the passing the old feller on to us. He'll get a new home roaming the prairies of my grandparents homestead and will be treated with respect.

I'll post some pictures after I get him installed in his new home, probably in May.

Sage Creek Gus

Hey Joe

Thanks so much for the passing the old feller on to us. He'll get a new home roaming the prairies of my grandparents homestead and will be treated with respect.

I'll post some pictures after I get him installed in his new home, probably in May.

Sage Creek Gus

Way cool target and awesome setting. Looks like a great place to relive the real West.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Way cool target and awesome setting. Looks like a great place to relive the real West.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks

It's a very special place for me.

It's 275 miles from my house to the homestead and the last 35 miles are gravel. Chester, Mt is the nearest town which is 35 miles south. Everyone I've taken up there has fallen in love with the place. We shoot to the southeast and the nearest ranch house is six miles away.

I'm hoping in the future to have two shooting sessions a year. One in the spring about the end of May or early June and the other the end of September. There are a lot of factors.

I'd consider having visitors from out of the area join us. It is mainly dependent upon how many people want to participate. I only have room for about 5 trailers.

So if someone from out of the area is interested in showing up contact me by email and we'll discuss details. Be prepared to do a LOT of long range and 22 rimfire shooting.

Sage Creek Gus

Archived