SASS Wire Forum

Oh, Bleep! PayPal ~ FRAUD~!

Just checked my morning email... and there's a flurry of emails from PayPal telling me how to change my password and confirming that I just did... at 0230 this morning, when I was soundly sleeping. :(

PayPal customer service agent confirms that my password WAS changed... waiting on the phone for a security agent. :( :(

GIT A ROPE~!! :angry:

Just got off the line with a very nice young lady at PayPal.

Headed for the bank... seems I was hit for a thousand bucks... may be able to get it blocked.

Make that a NEW hemp rope with lots o' sticklies on it! :angry:

That's the biggest reason I don't use PayPal. I've heard that sort of thing about them too often.

Fraud can happen with credit cards and debit cards too...doesn't matter what one uses. Anyway, I have not had an issue with paypal and will continue to use them - I do monitor my accounts as best I can . I have had two breaches with my debit/credit card in the last two years and both times the situation was resolved. I am sure that paypal will resolve this situation.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

i get these emails all the time telling me my account may have been compromised and has been suspended that i need to sign in an straighten it out and to click the link ... i get these from paypal and different banks places i dont have an account from, they are all fishers trying to steal your info. if you click it will take you some where that looks like paypal or ebay or your banks ... but its not and when you put in your info and click to log in it sends the info to someones email or personal website.

Any time you get an email like this Question it, it may be normal or lagit but Question it:

1) look at the address it came from if it really from paybal, ebay, your bank, ect the sender address will be xxxx@youracount.com for instance - support@ebay.com or support@paypal.com NOT paypal.support@usmail.cc

2) in most cases if you put mouse over the link it will show you before clicking where it will take you(Most time)

3) to be on the safe side when you get an email like that dont click it if it says click here to log in DONT Do IT!

4) if you need to log into an account type it in to your browser by hand or have it in your favorites or bookmarks.

5) everyone should be running 2 thing on there computer a really good updated virus scanner and a FireWall ALWAYS!

make sure that the ones you have will stop both Trojans and key loggers

6) some browsers are a security risk all by there self, i was told by someone that tried to key log therself that it worked fine Except on Google chrome so apparently security in google chrome is great microsoft has one somthing light search light spot light twilight i cant remember the name they have had it out for a few years DONT Get it it has Spy Stuff built in to it From Microsoft although so does Windows Vista which will locate your personal stuff and send it to a data base at Microsoft in Oregon .

There is more but i dont want to be accused of borring anyone or making there ears fall off, hope this has been helpful fer ya all!

Bellies up to the Bar Drinks on me.

When I set up my PayPal account, I opened a new account in a different Credit Union from my normal accounts. I keep about $100.00 in that account. If it gets much more than that, I pull the money out. That way, if I do get hit, they don't get much and can't "guess" the access to any of my other accounts. For that same reason, I have never put a credit card on my PayPal account.

PayPal has a bad rep for security, that and their size makes them a desirable target.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

When I set up my PayPal account, I opened a new account in a different Credit Union from my normal accounts. I keep about $100.00 in that account. If it gets much more than that, I pull the money out. That way, if I do get hit, they don't get much and can't "guess" the access to any of my other accounts. For that same reason, I have never put a credit card on my PayPal account.

PayPal has a bad rep for security, that and their size makes them a desirable target.

I did bout the same- I opened a whole new simple checkin account just for Paypal-

I transfer funds out of paypal to that account & then transfer funds from that account into my real checkin accout so theres seldom mor than $100 in paypal or the little checkin account---

FYI- ANY emails you get sayin they are paypal & want any info or to confirm stuff or want you to do anything like change password are BS! I get them now & agin but NEVER even open them & mark them as JUNK!

Hey, DD... curious, but do you work in a systems security field or banking...?

naaaah i should i was just raised around computers since they came out, my day worked for ncr before i was thought of and was an instructor for years .... anytime ncr or even ibm had a problem setting up a system they would call him, he retired from them then worked for a bank and a few other computer related places and still had ncr and ibm calling him for help, i have done some programing and setting up servers and websites. some generic some high end, and had my shar of problems with hackers .... but no problems for years ..... oh and the reason Vista come with spy stuff is incase the government wants info on someone and cant find it they go to microsoft who gives it to them willingly so anyone with vista ... down grade to xp not sure about 7 i havent checked it out yet ....

Speak of tha devil-----

Just got this within the last hour--

Dont know why it pasted with all the xtra stuff?

We emailed you a little while ago to ask for your help resolving an issue<br style="line-height: 17px; ">with your PayPal account. Your account is still temporarily limited because<br style="line-height: 17px; ">we haven't heard from you. <br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal<br style="line-height: 17px; ">account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as<br style="line-height: 17px; ">quickly as possible.<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">What's the problem?<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">Your PayPal account is connected by one or more pieces of personal<br style="line-height: 17px; ">information to another PayPal account that has a negative balance. <br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">Before we can remove the limitation from your accounts, you first need to<br style="line-height: 17px; ">resolve the negative balance on the linked account. Please call Customer<br style="line-height: 17px; ">Service at 1-866-888-4178.<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">Case ID Number: PP-001-374-487-076<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">How you can help<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like this. Most of the<br style="line-height: 17px; ">time, we just need a little more information about your account or latest<br style="line-height: 17px; ">transactions.<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">To help us with this and to see what you can and can't do with your account<br style="line-height: 17px; ">until the issue is resolved, log in to your account and go to the<br style="line-height: 17px; ">Resolution Center.<br style="line-height: 17px; "><br style="line-height: 17px; ">Sincerely,<br style="line-height: 17px; ">PayPal
<br style="line-height: 17px; ">

Fraud can happen with credit cards and debit cards too...doesn't matter what one uses.GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. We had a bunch of charges in D.C. at Car Toys and other places on our Amex card. Got a call from Amex asking if we were traveling and we said nope. They canceled the card. There was actually some justice in this instance -- turns out an employee at the hairdresser that Wildcat uses was selling card numbers. The Amex fraud investigators tracked it down. Of course we never heard what happened to the employee... probably a slap on the wrist.

If you EVER get a message from Paypal to change your password etc, it is probably a phishing scam. Forward it to spoof@paypal.com and they will investigate it. Paypal, as lousy as they are about guns, they are still handy to use at times.

Mingo

I have several debit accounts and a PayPal . . different passwords on all, ... not enough money in any of them to be hurt too bad and have the others to use if it were to take a while to straighten one out.

I had an e-mail from PayPal (?)... a while back about a suspicious charge on my account and did I want to "contest" it?... went to my acctual PayPal account and there had been no cush charge against my account. It was a very good fishhint try and very good "looking" face PayPal site that it took me to. Nice try. Didn't work.

Yep That is the way I run my online ordering and selling; Walled off from my real banking and CC use.

That way I know my exposure is slight

Day after I opened a pay-pal account apparently I was in Germany purchased something, returned it, and the next day purchased something else on my account. Credit union believed me that I was not in Germany thank goodness. That was the end of that. Pay-pal fraud in my book. :angry:

Oh yea, was even a charge for changing US bucks into Euro. :o

Not good...! :angry::angry::angry:

Just checked my bank account and the PayPal transaction that I did NOT authorize has gone through... checking account has been drained and is in overdraft.

I am PI$$ED!! :angry:

Not good...! :angry::angry::angry:

Just checked my bank account and the PayPal transaction that I did NOT authorize has gone through... checking account has been drained and is in overdraft.

I am PI$ED!! :angry:

I thought you had explained your case and were talking with the security people - what did they say??

I thought I had also... just off the phone with 'em again, and they now say "well, we blocked the funds from leaving your PayPal account... not from PayPal debiting your bank account!"

Poor security in my opine... now I'm off to my home Wells Fargo branch in the next county. :angry:

I thought I had also... just off the phone with 'em again, and they now say "well, we blocked the funds from leaving your PayPal account... not from PayPal debiting your bank account!"

Poor security in my opine... now I'm off to my home Wells Fargo branch in the next county. :angry:

well - I reckon the bank will do the job of gettin' your funds back - hope it turns out ok pard!!

Ahh yes. ain't modern technology so wonderful!

More trouble than it's worth.

Nothing/no-one is safe anymore.

Bodine

I got my bank account wiped out about 8 years ago. I used to use a debit card all of the time, and someone at a restaraunt ran it through a magnetic strip scanner and copied the info. They duplicated the card and used it out in CA. Luckily, my bank refunded all of my money within days of my discovery of the fraud.

Now I use a credit card for everything instead of a debit card. I figure that it is safer to have to deal with credit fraud than to have my bank account wiped out.

As for paypal, I use it only to make purchases with my credit card. I refuse to link my bank account to it. Same reason as above.

Hopefully you can get everything straightened out. Good luck.

Back from the bank.

A temporary block on my account until the thousand bucks is returned. The DDA is apparently not compromised... but PayPal DID allow the charge to go through to my bank account even after being alerted by me. When I asked about the "block" that I'd been assured had been put on the transacion, they said "Oh! We blocked it so no money can go OUT of your PayPal account!"

AND as it turns out they will NOT reverse the transaction... I have to wait until my PayPal account shows the credit (which will happen after PayPal posts it - they have my money!), and then initiate a transfer back to my bank.

"Security officer" at PayPal tried to tell me that these things can take seven to ten days. I very pointedly advised him that I considered that statement so much equine excrement - I had spent a quarter century in the bankcard industry and had managed settlement and security operations, and that overnight electronic settlement has been a matter of life for over thirty years. AND that they could have truncated the transaction, or at the very least sent a reversal.

He said "It'll be in your account tomorrow morning."

We'll see. <_<

When this is cleared the PP account will be closed, and I'll never by anything via PayPal again. -_-

Yup, closed my Paypal account years ago. Got hit for a grand and it took 8 days to get back. Then it was removed again. My credit union understood that I would be closing my accounts and a "courtesy" rebalanced my account the grand. Paypal as far as I can see is filled with security problems, fraud and seems to not really care. They hold the money for days and get the interest as profit, not much of a reason to give it back.

I WILL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN. If I want something on the net I use a low credit card, $500 max balance, or go somewhere else to buy. The bank can now take the hit if I get someone trying or successful to rip me off.

Toke

All righty... so I log on to my PayPal account this morning to see if indeed the thousand bucks was there.

It was not... the "transaction" was clearly there and labeled "In Process" or "Processing" or some such, despite the assurance of their agent yesterday (given only after a few strong words from me.)

So, to the phone I go. After the initial talk to a computer, followed by a brief and terse chat with Amy in Bombay (yesterday I think it was Susie in Calcutta) I get transferred to security... again. At least these guys seem to be in the US.

And I tell this fella the tale yet again. And he again tells me that it takes several days for the transactions to post. And I explain again that I have a banking background and that I don't accept that.

Fella says oh yes, it does take several days to post.

And that's when my "cool" thawed... and I literally yelled at him "That is B. S., and I want my thousand bucks NOW!!"

Golly gee... the very next words from the dude were "Oh! I see on my screen that it just arrived!"

Holy Road Apples, Batman...! :wacko:

So I keep 'im on the line while I initiate the transfer back to my bank... and O Sweet Buddha there's freakin' LIMIT! :blink: It says I can only transfer $500 a day!! :angry:

A few carefully selected words and "Oh... as a courtesy, we'll remove that limit this one time only since it was a fraud issue..."

But they still say it takes three to four business days to post to my bank account. I suspect this is by design on their part - let's 'em play with the "float" on a few million daily transactions... <_<

Gee... with "pals" like those folks... :(

You may have had to go through some inconvenience, but it looks like Paypal pulled through for you and will be getting the money back....

Like was mentioned - fraud can happen with other forms of monetary transaction conveniences...it seems in the end Paypal is doing you right.

Life is full of hassels - it's how we deal with it that can either increase the frustration or decrease the frustration in the matter..

Glad it worked out for you (sorry for the headaches :lol: )

Hasn't worked out yet, Gunner, although it's sludging in that direction.

As far as PayPal "doing right," well, that's a matter of opinion. I mentioned my banking background - I worked many years in the BankCard industry, and from an "insider's" persepective they could have done a LOT better. Some sample items:

1. PayPal could have either cancelled or sent a reversal to the transaction that drained my bank account. They elect not to (see #3 below)

2. PayPal reps did NOT tell me that I needed to initiate the transaction to return the funds to my bank account - and did NOT tell me until I actually tried to do so that there was a transfer limit, which was waived only after my protest.

3. PayPal evidently has built-in internal processing delays that allow them the use of funds for several days... it does NOT take "seven to ten business days" to transfer funds. When their representative told me "that's how ACH works" I figured that either he was blowing smoke or actually does not know - I suspect the latter.

4. I asked one of the PayPal reps how my password could have been changed by someone else... he said that it had been initiated as a "I Forgot My Password" action via my email account (yes, email account had been compromised first). When I asked how that could be, since only I would know the answers to my security questions, he said "Oh! The security questions aren't necessary when resetting a password with email!" If true, THAT is a MAJOR security flaw!

And by the way... it's taken five separate calls to get this far. That's conversations with five different "security" representatives, after first being screened by their voice computer and five "customer service" reps. Should've been handled in one.

Nope... I'm totally underwhelmed with what passes as "customer service" and security with them. -_-

Hasn't worked out yet, Gunner, although it's sludging in that direction.

As far as PayPal "doing right," well, that's a matter of opinion. I mentioned my banking background - I worked many years in the BankCard industry, and from an "insider's" persepective they could have done a LOT better. Some sample items:

1. PayPal could have either cancelled or sent a reversal to the transaction that drained my bank account. They elect not to (see #3 below)

2. PayPal reps did NOT tell me that I needed to initiate the transaction to return the funds to my bank account - and did NOT tell me until I actually tried to do so that there was a transfer limit, which was waived only after my protest.

3. PayPal evidently has built-in internal processing delays that allow them the use of funds for several days... it does NOT take "seven to ten business days" to transfer funds. When their representative told me "that's how ACH works" I figured that either he was blowing smoke or actually does not know - I suspect the latter.

4. I asked one of the PayPal reps how my password could have been changed by someone else... he said that it had been initiated as a "I Forgot My Password" action via my email account (yes, email account had been compromised first). When I asked how that could be, since only I would know the answers to my security questions, he said "Oh! The security questions aren't necessary when resetting a password with email!" If true, THAT is a MAJOR security flaw!

And by the way... it's taken five separate calls to get this far. That's conversations with five different "security" representatives, after first being screened by their voice computer and five "customer service" reps. Should've been handled in one.

Nope... I'm totally underwhelmed with what passes as "customer service" and security with them. -_-

....that's fine - but when you get your $1000 back - I would call that 'doing right' - sometimes the process sucks, but it is the end result that ultimately matters....at least that's how I see it...

Good luck with it..

....that's fine - but when you get your $1000 back - I would call that 'doing right' - sometimes the process sucks, but it is the end result that ultimately matters....at least that's how I see it...

Good luck with it..

Thankee, Gunner...! ^_^

Thankee, Gunner...! ^_^

Of course - no one wants to see a good pard get ripped off :angry: ....will be glad to hear that you DID get your money back though :D

Archived