18. Ohio State

19. Georgia

20. Mississippi State

21. Missouri

22. Florida

23. Auburn

24. West Virginia

25. USC

Realize that this is a 'preseason' poll and does not amount to a hill of pinto beans, but one thing caught my eye - NO Longwhorns in the top 25.

According to my Texas buddies, the last time this happened, there was a star in the East.

GO SOONERS

Tull

who once threw a block that allowed Joe Don Looney to score a touchdown

Roll Tide!! Texas hasn't been the same since they played us and neither has Colt McCoy.

Now that "Scam" Newton's father is no longer being paid for his son to play in the college ranks at the Alabama Technical School and Cafe I think the only rolling the Tide will be doing this season is rolling over and playing dead!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Krazy (whose team will only have eleven players on the field if the LSU booster club can raise enough money on Friday night each week to cover the bail for it's players) Kajun

Now that "Scam" Newton's father is no longer being paid for his son to play in the college ranks at the Alabama Technical School and Cafe I think the only rolling the Tide will be doing this season is rolling over and playing dead!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!

Krazy (whose team will only have eleven players on the field if the LSU booster club can raise enough money on Friday night each week to cover the bail for it's players) Kajun

Since 'Scam' played for Auburn, not Alabama, I'm not sure how his leaving Auburn will affect the University of Alabama.... ;)

You are right however in your judgement that his former team is not expected to do that well this year (nor will he at Carolina). :lol:

IMNSHO, the winner of the LSU/Alabama game will likely be the next National Champ.

As long as those are the standings prior to the start of the BCS, I'm good with it. <_<

I think Alabama can take most anyone in post-season play. ;)

IMNSHO, the winner of the LSU/Alabama game will likely be the next National Champ.

As much as I like LSU's chances this year (and I feel they will do really well), I don't think the team has the overall depth of experienced players some of the other top teams have. However, the SEC is heavily represented in the to 25 teams the OP listed so hopefully an SEC team will be in the national championship. But, you can't count out the Quacks and Stooners, they'll be strong. If the blue carpet folks get their act together and play strong ALL year they might surprise us all!

Ah college football....the lies, exaggerations, proud and haughty fans are all fixing to come alive. And then the plain ole lunatics like myself and Capt. Bill Burt are just this way all year so there's no hope for us :lol:

Is that anything like "stupidized"?

If so, I already have a severe case! :blink:

As much as I like LSU's chances this year (and I feel they will do really well), I don't think the team has the overall depth of experienced players some of the other top teams have. However, the SEC is heavily represented in the to 25 teams the OP listed so hopefully an SEC team will be in the national championship. But, you can't count out the Quacks and Stooners, they'll be strong. If the blue carpet folks get their act together and play strong ALL year they might surprise us all!

Ah college football....the lies, exaggerations, proud and haughty fans are all fixing to come alive. And then the plain ole lunatics like myself and Capt. Bill Burt are just this way all year so there's no hope for us :lol:

Hey, I ain't old! :lol:

I am somewhat dismayed and concerned that the stalwart SLIPPERY ROCK team is not included in this questionable listing.

So we had a tough year last year. :wacko:

I do not see the top three on the list as being accurate. Oklahoma will be big in the Big 10-12 or what ever it is now, but I do not see a crystal football in my crystal ball, for them.

"Bama is not the team that they once wuz. I look for some good football but I think they are riding on their past record in this list. Or at least the person who wrote it is. Not #1 or #2 in my book.

Oregon is good but so is Stanford and they are in the same conference. Lottsa luck there Ducks.

And then there are the Washington teams. AND COLORADO. Oh yeah, USC too. (Happy Bobb and Uno?}

And lastly, we come to my old favorite, Notre Dame. No way in Toostone do I see them in #16. They have a lot of things to get behind them before they can even threaten. Beating Purdue is one of them.

JMO YMMV

Charlie,

The Rock opens on the road at Seton Hall. That could be a goodun. The good news is that they play The University of California of Pennsylvania at HOME this year instead of on the road. Maybe the home field advantage will be enough to avoid the heartbreak of the road loss last year. ;) I gotta disagree with you on Alabama. Losing their QB and Julio Jones were the biggest hits they took on offense. The running back situation is not a big deal because Richardson is VERY dangerous and should be healthy this year. If he can stay that way, he's gonna be a force to reckoned with.

I think Auburn is overrated at #23 and I've been an Auburn fan since Shug Jordan was still coaching. That's not a dig, that's just being realistic. We lost too many starters and I think 6-6 or 7-5 (8-4, MAYBE but doubtful, if we pull one out at the last minute) is probably as good as we can hope for unless the new blood really steps up and the team comes together VERY early in the season. The Mississippi State and Clemson games in weeks 2 and 3 will be the first tests and I just don't foresee both of them working out in Auburn's favor (one, maybe, but I'm iffy on even that). MSU is on the upswing and Clemson always plays Auburn well. The rest of the schedule just gets uglier as you go along and they don't have a bye week until around Halloween. September and October are gonna be 2 very long months for the Tigers.

As for the whole Cam Newton thing, here's my read on it.

Yeah, I figger somebody got paid (probably the Rev. Cecil). Auburn, apparently, did a pretty good job hiding it and/or shielding Cam from direct involvement. If they hadn't, they would have had to pull him last season to save the whole athletic program from censure by the NCAA. He ain't the first big time player in major college football to do it and he ain't gonna be the last. Will it eventually come out? Probably. Reggie Bush got busted 5 years after he left USC (that's not a dig on the Trojans, just the most recent example). But look at what USC gained over the interim in recruiting by having a National Championship trophy AND a Heisman to show to potential recruits on their official visits. Auburn has already seen an improvement in their recruiting class this year. What are they gonna get from having the trophies over the next 4 or 5 years? They've had 3 undefeated seasons in the last 20 years counting last year. Proving that they've broken through to the 'promised land' (after being robbed in '04 and being excluded in '98 by probation) of a National Championship game only sweetens the pot for potential recruits.

Then again, he might have looked at what Auburn already had (defense, offensive scheme, quality players in the skill positions) and figured that it was enough for him to go in for a year, win a NC and head off to the pros with a higher profile and a better bargaining position for a contract. Doubtful? VERY. Extremely even, but it could have happened.

Rehashing all the 'Scam Newton' crap is hypocritical to an extreme, in my not so humble opinion. NONE of the major college programs are pure as the driven snow when it comes to this kind of stuff- and definitely not any of the SEC schools except for, maybe, Vanderbilt. Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

Boomer Sooner!

The first 3 games for OU could very well give a clue as to how their season goes.
Sept. 3 - Tulsa [in Norman]
Sept. 17 - FSU [in Florida]
Sept. 24 - Missouri [in Norman]
And two weeks later - Texas.

Out of curiosity - does anybody think an unbeaten team will make it to the BCS this year???????????????????
And if so, who ??????????????????

Tull

I am somewhat dismayed and concerned that the stalwart SLIPPERY ROCK team is not included in this questionable listing.

So we had a tough year last year. :wacko:

I do not see the top three on the list as being accurate. Oklahoma will be big in the Big 10-12 or what ever it is now, but I do not see a crystal football in my crystal ball, for them.

"Bama is not the team that they once wuz. I look for some good football but I think they are riding on their past record in this list. Or at least the person who wrote it is. Not #1 or #2 in my book.

Oregon is good but so is Stanford and they are in the same conference. Lottsa luck there Ducks.

And then there are the Washington teams. AND COLORADO. Oh yeah, USC too. (Happy Bobb and Uno?}

And lastly, we come to my old favorite, Notre Dame. No way in Toostone do I see them in #16. They have a lot of things to get behind them before they can even threaten. Beating Purdue is one of them.

JMO YMMV

FIGHT ON! ;)

The pollsters are much more confident of Florida's upcoming season than I am. I'll be surprised if they stay in the top 25.

I'm thinking the Buckeyes might be a little too high on the list, only time will tell.......... :rolleyes::blush:

They do have some issues, don't they?

Even when they don't have issues Ohio often ends up ranked higher than they should be, ditto Notre Dame.

As far as Bama being weaker this year the only loss that really hurt was Julio. He made other teams adjust their game plan, and we aren't that deep at WR. Trent is more than capable of stepping up at RB and we have a good back up behind him in Lacey. As much as I like McElroy his primary responsibility was to avoid big mistakes, not make big plays. We have two QBs to choose from, either of which should be able to step up.

Of course playing in the SEC, the most competitive conference in the country, anything can and occasionally does happen.

Now Badger, ya know awl them sanctions was bullsh#t.

Those games that Reggie Bush was played in dont mean nuthin'.

Iffin' tha NCAA deleted awl of the points that Reggie scored, we still had enuff points

ta win awl those games an kick @SS. :)

FIGHT ON!

Archived