SASS Wire Forum

Bruce Springsteen on Roy Orbison

Utah Bob #35998

"Roy's ballads were always best when you were alone in the dark."

Every now and then, somebody says something that's completely right.

Not ifin' ya got yur best gal friend in yur arms ! :wub:;)

I think I heard Elvis also say, at one time, that he admired Roy.

I READ.. not sure if it is true that Elvis so admired him that he dyed his hair black like Roys. Not sure if it was true.. but Roy had a voice .. a great one.. so did Marty Robbins..

I been listening to some of "The Traveling Wilburys" music lately, and ole Roy could hold his own with anyone. Listening to him, Tom Petty, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne swap lead on the song is a real joy. Bob Dylan is the only one of the "Wilburys" who doesn't take a turn at singing lead on this song.

I been listening to some of "The Traveling Wilburys" music lately, and ole Roy could hold his own with anyone. Listening to him, Tom Petty, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne swap lead on the song is a real joy. Bob Dylan is the only one of the "Wilburys" who doesn't take a turn at singing lead on this song.

Thank goodness! :lol:

Amen! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Springsteen on this one but I can't stand his music, voice or politics! The "boss" what a crock :angry:

Too bad you're so ambivalent about him, Rye! :lol: :lol:

UB... you be right!

...'ere's one of my favorites that fits in this category:

Crying

The BOSS...hmmm... almost wrote him off because of his politics. Then, there I was all by myself with 150,000 at the Lakefront in Milwaukee for the Harley 105th Anniversary. He, Clemons and all started the most charged rock and roll that I've ever heard in concert at 8:30pm and finally quit at 1:15am. His encore was longer than most bands' full sets and the crowd started out standing up and never sat down.

Unreal that he's never had a single #1 hit in all this time. Never really developed a taste for Roy Orbison, but then I never really developed a taste for being alone in the dark, either. ;)

Too bad you're so ambivalent about him, Rye! :lol: :lol:

Oh trust me it's not ambivalence, I just could never stand the guy. His music, his voice or his POLITICS! I think he s%^&$!

It ain't about Bruce. I never bought his records.

It's about Roy. I bought all of his.

I agree with Springsteen on this one but I can't stand his music, voice or politics! The "boss" what a crock :angry:

+1

Orbison is high in the B) factor though...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

(LL, pretending to be his kid)

"Gee, UB, what's a record?"

LL

A record is the pinnacle of audio reproduction my son. A record has character. It has substance. Like sound and music itself it relies on basic physics. The soul of the artist flows through it's grooves.

You may take your electronic downloads and pray to them if you will. But they are false gods. A record contains the heart and history of music.

Just my opinion as a card carrying geezer. ;)

A record is the pinnacle of audio reproduction my son. A record has character. It has substance. Like sound and music itself it relies on basic physics. The soul of the artist flows through it's grooves.

You may take your electronic downloads and pray to them if you will. But they are false gods. A record contains the heart and history of music.

Just my opinion as a card carrying geezer. ;)

Amongst other things, I build my own tube amplifiers and tube pre-amps... And I have to agree here... nothing captures the soul of an artist and his offering like vinyl... I have everything back to 78's... And I have much of Roy's stuff and listen to it when the mood hits...

Vaya con Dios

None better than Roy!

I went to see a movie the other night - "Captain America," in 3-D - and when I walked into the theater it was FULL of Roy look-a-likes...! :huh:B)

Yes, but Clarence Clemons' sax is the best when you're with somebody in the dark. :wub:

Clarence was... well, Clarence! ;)

If you want some reeeeally good modern jazz sax, check out Jessy J (NOT to be confused with "Jessie J"). Fresh, extremely talented, and actually a very nice young lady! ^_^

I think Roy Orbison had one of the best voices in pop music. Man that guy could hit some high notes with FULL voice! He was a good one.B)

I READ.. not sure if it is true that Elvis so admired him that he dyed his hair black like Roys. Not sure if it was true.. but Roy had a voice .. a great one.. so did Marty Robbins..

Deja,

Nail hit square on the head! :D

I had thought I was the only one who spends hours (some alone in the dark :ph34r: ) listening to those two. What great voices and story tellers!

Roy, in particular, had two things that most singers would be pleased to have just one of (and almost none today have either): First and most important, absolutely unsurpassed vocal range, and secondly, clearly emotive passion, especially in telling the story in the ballad that draws you into it. :wub:

Off to the records, tapes & earphones...

Harvey

Archived