SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection--Whats Everyone Using ?

Judge Roy Stone

An old pair of reusable ear plugs, misplaced them a while back and used some disposable marshmallow ones one day and they blocked out so much I couldn't hear anyone talking. Thankfully I found my old trusty reusable ones.

Huh? what did you say??? Could you type in all CAPITOL LETTERS, like your yelling.

Custom molded earplugs at the gun-show, take 20-30 minutes to set up, $25-$30. or soft marshmallow ones.

Big Jake

Judge, I have found that wax earplugs work best for me. I struggled for years with the foam rubber things, and they sort of work, but when I discovered wax, I became a believer. I don't shoot any more, but when I travel I always use wax to cut city noise and loud motels.

I like the do-it-yourself custom molded earplugs. I can deal with the line all day in comfort, and have no ringing ears, noise sensitivity or headache afterward. Nothing else gives me the same comfort and performance.

============================================

I had a pair of custom-molded ear plugs made for me earlier this year, and it was the best $25 I ever spent.

THrow away foam plugs from Howard Leight work as well for decibel reduction as the expensive custom molded ones. They just don't look as cool to some people.

I've had both and decided ion the foam ones.

Triple flange military issue.

=========================================================

I've still got a pair of those somewhere, but haven't used them in years.

Howdy

I settled on the throw away foam ear plugs years ago. I had a custom pair of plugs made for me, but did not like them. As we age, the shape of our ear canal changes. So what fit correctly at one point may no longer fit correctly. Didn't like the string between the plugs either, it amplified sounds every time it brushed against anything.

The foam plugs always fit. At the end of the day I throw them away.

Sport Ear electronics- I traded for them years ago when shooting sporting clays. I can tune them to the hearing level that I like and they clip the damaging sound.

Then dead plugs- they're my backups in case I'm out of batteries for the electronics. According to some the ear changes, but I haven't noticed that at all. Then when I have no other choice the foamies. The foamies work great for me as long as I hold still and don't move my jaw... :wacko: AND if I don't want to hear anything at all including conversation.

Maybe if I held my mouth right then I'd shoot better. :o

Throw-away foam plugs. I have to wear them at work and they're free. Work supplies several different types to choose from. Always have lots of extras in my truck. Did I mention free? Heh. Baddog N.

Archived