SASS Wire Forum

BP subs in 44 specials

Bob, I have a pair of 44Spec Army R/M Conversions, as well as a '66 Yellow Boy, that have 44Rus in their future. All I really need to do is order the brass and load the rounds with APP to use the revolvers but I need to get the short carrier installed in the rifle. FWIW I intend to use a 160gr bullet with my load and the results should be very close to equaling the Cowboy 45 Specials that I use in my 45Colt pistols.

I shoot .44 Russians in my Bisley Vaquaros loaded with APP as the .44 mags. had more recoil than I cared for in a revolver. I use the APP .44 Mags. in my Marlin. I did not like the .44 Spls. as I had a difficult time sorting cases. Not so with the Russians. I just stuff them full and go.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I use Clean Shot in my .44 Specials in Ruger Bisley Vaqueros (full size).

I use .429" 200 gr bullets. I use a .357 case soldered to a handle for a measure.

The load works well. And it cleans up nice too.

Mustang Gregg

Bob I'm shooting 44Special with 2f real BP in the handguns now instead of the 44-40s, had cylinders fitted to the smokewagons and a pair of RM conversions converted as well. The step down in charge weight was about 30% and the recoil reduction was marked as well. Still using the 200 grain Mav D bullet for the loads and this is a real jem of a combo. The 44Colt and Russian just seemed a bit small and the 44Special brass has been a lot easier to get hold off. Plus with a double action wheelgun in that cartridge it made sense.

Middlefork Bob , my set-up is same as you are using , Ruger NV in 44 Special. I load Goex Cowboy in 44 Russian cases under the 200 gr. Mav Dutchman bullet most of the time. Have used 180 gr Oregon Trail and other 200 gr bullets with APP , but not 777. No reason it shouldn't work great.

I have also used Trail Boss , but we are talking smokey loads here. No use to muddy up the waters with smokeless info.

If you load up the Russians with 777 and it is still a little sharper than you want , you could try some Ox-Yoke wads or filler. The APP will give you the least amount of recoil , but it is a PITA to measure with anything but dippers , in my experience.

Keep 'em smokin' , Rex :D

Howdy

I shoot 44 Russian in a couple of antique S&W top breaks chambered for the cartridge. I use real Black Powder, and the 200 grain Mav-Dutchman bullet sized to .428 and lubed with SPG. Even with the 200 grain bullet, the recoil is very mild. We ain't supposed to list actual data here, but if you send me a private message I can tell you how much powder I put in under the bullet. It is a bit more than most folks use in a 38 Special. I use a standard Lee dipper. The charge is less than I put into a 45 Schofield case with a 200 grain bullet, so the recoil is less too. And it is much, much less than a 45 Colt stuffed to the gills with Black Powder under a 250 grain bullet.

APP does not require special BP lubed bullets. It is available in more places than real BP. It cleans well with vinegar-based Windex. I use APP FFg for 12-gae and .45 Cowboy specials. I use APP FFFg for .38 Special, .32 WCF and .38 WCF.

The .44 could probably use either FFG or FFFg with near equal results.

I currently shoot .44 Russians in my Colts. I use 18 grns of 2f 777, and a 180 grn Moly coated bullet. Clean up is 3 wet patches followed by one dry or lubed patch. This combo has just a little kick, will knock down any knock down target, produces smoke and a big bang. :D

I shoot both 44 Russian and 38 spl and use same exact powder load.

Message me and I will give you my load data, mileage may vary.

I found with both making sure you get a good crimp makes the big difference.

I shoot a 205 grain bullet from Parson Pills for 44 and have recently been shooting a big lube bullet for my 38's.

PR

I shoot .44 Russian brass in ALL my .44Spl chambered guns. I don't like 777. I do like APP, 3F, no filler and a 160Gr bullet (I are a gamer). While the dust is a pain to clean up, I load 3F APP thru a Dillon 650 with absolutely no problems. I dropped one of AJs Short Cartridge carriers in my '66 and haven't looked back. With the Russian case in a Toggle Link, you'll probably have to go to a 160Gr bullet for OAL.

Coffinmaker

I shoot 44russiam with a full case load of fff in 877 and a regular 200 gr billet. Great losd! Easy to load. No dust or bridging. Good smoke. Adequate power.

Archived