SASS Wire Forum

What is in a gun?

Time on my hands, got to thinking on a new shooting iron.

I don't hunt much if at all anymore, but was thinking about some Bob White bird hunting

over in Eastern Washington.

That set wheels in motion. I have a darling little BSS in 20 gauge that is a delight to carry and shoot

BUT, that there is always a but, it has fixed chokes and is choked full and modified. I would want something a bit more open, like say a cylinder and improved cylinder.

So if I was going to pick my NEW bird gun, what would I look for:

1. Two barrels. Either O/U (prefered) or SXS

2. Open choke as stated above.

3. Light weight. Under 7 1/2 pounds loaded.

4. Shorter barrels, prefer 26 inch.

5. Either a 28 gauge or a 20 gauge. NO 410, 16 or 12.

Haven't looked as yet, but I would shop Beretta, Ruger, Weatherby, or Browning.

Any suggestions or comments.

We don't have Bob White here in ND, but we do have Mourning Doves and Hungarian Partridge. I use my 12 ga Stoeger Cowboy shotgun (improved cylinder/modified) and a 1oz load of 8 shot, 2 3/4 to 3 dram eq. It's not as much fun as buying a new shotgun. My BSS is a 12 ga, 30" full and modified.

Right fancy shootin iron, Whiskey Girl.

I sure like my Browning BSS but it is just a tad long and tight for Bob.

I guess I could use the Russian Anti Tank 12 Gauge, it points quick.

I kinda like the Weatherby d'Italia too.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/overunder

So I'm trying to figure out what that is. It sounds a little like BFF:

Best Shooting Shotgun

Best Slicked Sidearm

AJ

BSS is a sweet little side by side shotgun made by the Mikuru Company in Japan for Browning.

Mine was made in the late 1980 and they no longer are produced. As Big Jake correctly put it

BSS = Browing Side x Side. Big Jake is also correct that they are a big $$$ gun, but not so much

as others. I think the going rate for a quality model is around $1300.00 to $1500.00. Not top of

the line but respectable price. I personally believe that the name and the fact that they are no longer

manufactured has driven the price up. They are well made, but not exceptional.

BMC

I picked up a little Spanish SXS with a full / imp chokes in 20 ga some tome back at a gun show , it makes a dandy quail gun if I am not using the Browning Citiri o/u .

The browing is a 20 ga with 28 and 410 Briley tubes , I relly wish I had got a 12 with a full set of tubes .

The 311 Stevens is pretty good also .

CB

Badger, if its gonna be a dedicated bird gun I'd have a smith hone those barrels to IC and Skeet. That way you get to carry your favorite scattergun and might even allow you hit a bird or two. Besides, its a different world today with modern ammunition. In my opinion, where Modified was the all around choke 50 years ago, improved cylinder occupies that place today. I've seen pheasant dropped at unbelievable long range with IC.

Yeah, when they went to the plastic hulls with the shot cone, it tightened up about two choke sizes.

I guess that you can buy the scatter loads or even make them, but I have never used them. I don't plan on doing any blood letting anytime soon. I did love busting them pheasants at one time.

I have a Ruger Red Label in 20 Gauge that I use for Pheasants. I've also taken a couple of Chukar with it, but I can't say how it would do on anything smaller. I don't recall the chokes off the top of my head. Handles wonderfully well though.

Your Ideal is darn close to my late Mother's Winchester Model 21 Field grade 20ga; double trigger and choked Skeet 1 and Skeet 2. it has a splinter forend and a straight stock to keep the weight down. but for a field grade gun the wood is mighty handsome.

She kept the family kitchen well supplied with small game birds from the late 1940s through to the early 1980s when Arthritis got the better of here as far as hunting was concerned

Cheers

Windy

PS if I figure a way to temporally disable the ejectors I should bring it to a shoot rather than my grandfather's Pre WW1 vintage 16ga Parker or J P Sauer

Your Ideal is darn close to my late Mother's Winchester Model 21 Field grade 20ga; double trigger and choked Skeet 1 and Skeet 2. it has a splinter forend and a straight stock to keep the weight down. but for a field grade gun the wood is mighty handsome.

She kept the family kitchen well supplied with small game birds from the late 1940s through to the early 1980s when Arthritis got the better of here as far as hunting was concerned

Cheers

Windy

PS if I figure a way to temporally disable the ejectors I should bring it to a shoot rather than my grandfather's Pre WW1 vintage 16ga Parker or J P Sauer

Sounds like you have quite a collection, Doc.

Nothing like having a good woman, a attentive dog, and fine guns around. A good whiskey doesn't hurt either. :)

Badger, I know this might come as a bit of a surprise to many here but I like fine bird guns and I've been chasin' quail for more years than I care to mention. I have three principle bird guns: a Browning Superposed, 20-gauge, O/U, 26½-inch barrels, tight mod & imp cyl; an Arrieta 578, 16-gauge, SxS, 28-inch barrels, skt1 & skt2; and a 12-gauge Beretta A390, autoloader, 28-inch barrels, choke tubes.

Now here's my advice for a quail gun.

1. Get the one that you can mount quickly and hits where you are looking.

2. Make it not too light so as not to be 'whippy' yet easy to carry for long periods. I recommend around 6 to 6.5 pounds.

3. Remember a gun's quickness is determined, not by the length of the barrels, but it's balance or more scientifically called moment of inertia. I recommend just a little forward bias so the swing is smooth.

4. Make sure it is fits you so that when it come to your shoulder and cheek, you are looking correctly down the barrel.

5. For quail, I recommend an open choke or chokes. Best is choke tubes.

6. After meeting these, buy the one YOU like best.

Badger, I know this might come as a bit of a surprise to many here but I like fine bird guns and I've been chasin' quail for more years than I care to mention. I have three principle bird guns: a Browning Superposed, 20-gauge, O/U, 26½-inch barrels, tight mod & imp cyl; an Arrieta 578, 16-gauge, SxS, 28-inch barrels, skt1 & skt2; and a 12-gauge Beretta A390, autoloader, 28-inch barrels, choke tubes.

Now here's my advice for a quail gun.

1. Get the one that you can mount quickly and hits where you are looking.

2. Make it not too light so as not to be 'whippy' yet easy to carry for long periods. I recommend around 6 to 6.5 pounds.

3. Remember a gun's quickness is determined, not by the length of the barrels, but it's balance or more scientifically called moment of inertia. I recommend just a little forward bias so the swing is smooth.

4. Make sure it is fits you so that when it come to your shoulder and cheek, you are looking correctly down the barrel.

5. For quail, I recommend an open choke or chokes. Best is choke tubes.

6. After meeting these, buy the one YOU like best.

Sounds like pretty good advice, Bird Gun. :)

How about a CZ Bobwhite? CDNN has them on clearance, and the name is fitting...

You, sir, could get me in a HEAP OF TROUBLE.

I have thought about taking a peek at the CZ line of shotguns. I just bought one of their .22 LR

Varmints. Nice little rifle. Now I have to find one to test drive.

Badger... this'un is easy... "What is in a gun???"... The answer is... AMMUNITION...!!! Ain't I learned ya' nothin' in all this time, ya' galoot...??? (grumble, grumble... give 'em the learnin' and they just don't appreaciate it...!!! I'm tellin' ya'... buy 'em books and send 'em ta' school and all they do is eat the pages... Focus boy, focus...!!!) :lol::lol::lol:

Vaya con Dios

Badger... this'un is easy... "What is in a gun???"... The answer is... AMMUNITION...!!! Ain't I learned ya' nothin' in all this time, ya' galoot...??? (grumble, grumble... give 'em the learnin' and they just don't appreaciate it...!!! I'm tellin' ya'... buy 'em books and send 'em ta' school and all they do is eat the pages... Focus boy, focus...!!!) :lol::lol::lol:

Vaya con Dios

Now you tell me!

Sounds like you have quite a collection, Doc.

Nothing like having a good woman, a attentive dog, and fine guns around. A good whiskey doesn't hurt either. :)

Well it is not what I would call a collection... none of the guns have any engraving to speak of inI fact the model 21 has lost most of the Blue on the bottom plate of the action and a SxS expert told me that it was because of a different alloy used in the steel in that area ( the rest of it is 98% +) and he also told me that because it being a plain field gade and due to the lack of engraving and gold inlay and the double triggers and straight stock splinter forend that it was not very valuable. I think he told me to insure it for about $1000 about 30 years ago or that may have been what he tried to buy it for... (not for sale as long as I am this side of the grass)

all my guns are like that but nothing that would really belong in a fancy "collection" they are working guns that I enjoy shooting (I have a slip on butt pad extender that gives me enough length of pull to make the 21 a joy to shoot. and is that not the whole point to get out and shoot em and sometimes hit what you meant to? LOL

Cheers

Windy

Well it is not what I would call a collection... none of the guns have any engraving to speak of inI fact the model 21 has lost most of the Blue on the bottom plate of the action and a SxS expert told me that it was because of a different alloy used in the steel in that area ( the rest of it is 98% +) and he also told me that because it being a plain field gade and due to the lack of engraving and gold inlay and the double triggers and straight stock splinter forend that it was not very valuable. I think he told me to insure it for about $1000 about 30 years ago or that may have been what he tried to buy it for... (not for sale as long as I am this side of the grass)

all my guns are like that but nothing that would really belong in a fancy "collection" they are working guns that I enjoy shooting (I have a slip on butt pad extender that gives me enough length of pull to make the 21 a joy to shoot. and is that not the whole point to get out and shoot em and sometimes hit what you meant to? LOL

Cheers

Windy

That statement says it all. A good gun is one that feels good in your hand and sometimes you get an occasional target.

Archived