SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Rance - SASS # 54090

At a recent match..

I fired 10 rounds all hits out of my '66 yellowboy...

Opened the action (it was open all the way) and laid it down.. continued to finish the stage..

When finished I picked up my rifle (action still open) and proceeded to the unloading table..

Cycled the rifle to show empty & safe.. and a empty (fired, spent) brass came out.. I looked at the unloading table officer and said what the heck went on there...

They asked me to report it to the score keeper to add on a 10 second safety to my score.. which I did..

I told our Posse Leader (RO) what happened. He asked if I fired all 10 rounds? Yes.. Was it restaged with the action open? Yes.. He then said it was a gun malfunction and not a safety.. and he proceeded to have the score keeper remove the safety..

Was it a safety? Gun malfunction? No call? or what?

Rance <_<

Thinkin' was the right call made?

You had a Kind and Generous RO. Getting to the unloading table with a fired case in the action is a 10 second MS. UNLESS it was the last gun fired and NEVER left your hands. Even if the rifle failed to extract, it IS the shooters responsibility to insure the action is clear before proceeding.

Take a look at your extractor. There is the possibility you didn't open the action fully after the 10th round and left the fired case on the carrier, trapped by the extractor. Check the extractor anyway.

Coffinmaker

You all are too generous, I'd say hang him from a tall dead tree......sorry Rance I just couldn't resist.

Like every one else I'd have to say MSV. If it is any consolation I think this situation is why the empty on the carrier rule comes before the TGs as often as it does.

Give Lacey a hug for me.

Smoke

You all are too generous, I'd say hang him from a tall dead tree......sorry Rance I just couldn't resist.

Like every one else I'd have to say MSV. If it is any consolation I think this situation is why the empty on the carrier rule comes before the TGs as often as it does.

Give Lacey a hug for me.

Smoke

Hey Smoke.. how ya doin'... sounds like I was given a break :rolleyes: ... sounds like the MSV should have been left on... ain't life great..

Would prefer the hangin' on a tall live tree... put on a few pounds.. don't want the limb to break off..

Just for discussion...

If I had declared a malfuntioning gun.. it's a no call??? :wacko:

So... I could, at the end of every stage, say "Malfuntioning gun" and be ok..

Doesn't seem fair.. :blink: or sportsman like :blush:

Rance <_<

Didn't the Wild Bunch just declare that a enpty on the carrier in CAS a no call

just as it is for WBAS?????

Marshal Stone

For non Wild Bunch it is a safety-don't follow those WB changes any more. The change that occurred recently had to do with overloading your rifle. Under earlier rules if you loaded 10 for a 9 round stage, shooter could get two Safety penalties or worse. Now, there is no longer a penalty for overloading at the loading table. Shooter still can get penalties for leaving loaded rounds on carrier or empties on carrier.

Hey Smoke.. how ya doin'... sounds like I was given a break :rolleyes: ... sounds like the MSV should have been left on... ain't life great..

Would prefer the hangin' on a tall live tree... put on a few pounds.. don't want the limb to break off..

Just for discussion...

Rance <_<

:D :D You'd have to do it before you set it down (to proceed with the rest of the stage) unless it was the last gun used, and in that case if you cleared it before setting it down it would be a no call anyway. Not to mention if you did it every stage and no malfunction was found you'd be hit with an SOG or hauled off to that tree...

For non Wild Bunch it is a safety-don't follow those WB changes any more. The change that occurred recently had to do with overloading your rifle. Under earlier rules if you loaded 10 for a 9 round stage, shooter could get two Safety penalties or worse. Now, there is no longer a penalty for overloading at the loading table. Shooter still can get penalties for leaving loaded rounds on carrier or empties on carrier.

GCK;

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a change just didn't remember the specifics.

Marshal Stone

:D :D You'd have to do it before you set it down (to proceed with the rest of the stage) unless it was the last gun used, and in that case if you cleared it before setting it down it would be a no call anyway. Not to mention if you did it every stage and no malfunction was found you'd be hit with an SOG or hauled off to that tree

Nice job Grizz.. :D:D didn't seem fair to me either

But I did get a SOG once.. wasn't hit with it.. but was awarded it.. at the end of the match.. only one I ever got..

Dead tree? And risk a limb breaking off and saving him? Call me a conservative, but I say a big LIVE oak. :P

Ain't it great ta have friends that really care about yer hangin' :D:D You know.. make sure it's done right :wacko::wacko:

How ya been Buck..

But I did get a SOG once.. wasn't hit with it.. but was awarded it.. at the end of the match.. only one I ever got..

You? SOG? I can't believe that. Spirit of the Game award yes, but I can't believe you would ever get a SOG penalty. You'll have to tell me that story sometime.

You? SOG? I can't believe that. Spirit of the Game award yes, but I can't believe you would ever get a SOG penalty. You'll have to tell me that story sometime.

Well ya see Tab, backn' 1892 we were drivin' a herd up by Sedalia when a big bunch of bad guys rode up on us :wacko: whoops wrong thread :blush: .... errrr aaa story :blush: ....

Slow day at work :blush:

Just for discussion...

Rance <_<

Yep. If you declared the gun as a broke gun before, or as you layed it down. No Call.

Seems fair to me.

If you would have noticed it. Tryed to clear it and could not.

You could have just called it a broke gun and went on.

And it would not be at the end of every stage.

It would have to be for each gun as you use them.

Never seem anybody do that.

That would seem a lot more unsportsman like to me.

My thoughts exactly, must have been that infamous evil twin. :D

Smoke

MSV... if you're having an extractor problem then look at the chamber as you set it down and declare it "MALFUNCTION". Then by all means MOVE.

It's up to the shooter to declare. The RO changed the rules for you. :angry:

Archived