SASS Wire Forum

Ammo belts above the belly button

Blasted Cap

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen it referred to here but it has happened to me a time or two, snagging the shells with a revolvers hammer spur. This and the fact that anything worn at the belly button or slightly below 'will' slide down hill towards the feet and those waiting pistols. My holsters are somewhat (medium) high ride but on a belt worn low to help with the clearance problem. When the belt is placed just above the belly button, well suddenly moving up is now down hill and this problem is what Ill bet my spurs that most of the hub bub is about, not some long non existent bras. Though I personally would not wear bra style, I still think it would be very low priority on a long list of rules I would have considered back then. Remember, fer every rule you feel is important there are some of us out here who would think several of your choices would be eliminated by a rule in our version of the perfect world.

... Though I personally would not wear bra style, I still think it would be very low priority on a long list of rules I would have considered back then. Remember, fer every rule you feel is important there are some of us out here who would think several of your choices would be eliminated by a rule in our version of the perfect world.

Hi Bob,

I would be on the list of folks who would favor the elimination of this rule. I just don't get it or the rule prohibiting securing bandoliers. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

I understand the situation perfectly, I had a gastric bypass way back in 94. In 96 they did a double hernia repair & an adominalplasty (sic). I don't have my natural one anymore and the replace one is cockeyed. WANNA SEE IT? I know I will not be asking where they are.

Shenny

Who is going to be the BB inspectors?

PBT...probably the same person who touches the Pillsbury Doughman's belly. :)

GG

Not that it would happen, but I don't think I would giggle if someone touched this doughboys belly. Well maybe, depending upon who she was.... :blush:;):ph34r:

Another problem with the call is how quickly a border line call can change almost instantly with just the slightest shift. It is similar to the thirty degree call on cross draws, you call it based on the way you see a guy and he shifts body position and suddenly it doesnt look to be quite as much.

"ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

.....out of the handbook.

Obviously, this leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but it goes back to the intent of the game.

A little bit off but I'm curious, with that new Harrison Ford movie "Cowboys and Aliens", can a be western guy use lasers?

Whiskey James

some of this discussion reminds me of a photo that was in the CC a couple years back...WB member...wearing his SG Belt...in a way that was not okie dokie.

:blink:

He obiviously had no idea what the intent of the game was/is.

;)

"ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how

it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

.....out of the handbook.

Obviously, this leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but it goes back to the intent of the game.

A little bit off but I'm curious, with that new Harrison Ford movie "Cowboys and Aliens", can a be western guy use lasers?

Whiskey James

Just exactly how did the cowboys wear their shotgun belts back in the old west or in B westerns? I haven't seen many. Maybe they did wear em high to support their backs when riding! :rolleyes:

I am surprised that the pictures have not shown up this time but someone(s) posted pictures in the past of pre 1900 shot shell belts being worn under the armpits. There was no doubt that the photo was of a dandy style sportsman, rather than a cowboy, law dog or bandit type though. What I have not seen yet is photo, or other, evidence of double shell pouches back when, guess we get to busy worrying about the wrong things sometimes! I think a better way to write/interpret the rule would be to just declare bra style as inappropriate and drop the belly button part. Most of us fattys have flattened out by the time we reach the bottom of the rib cage anyhows. Personally I think belt suspenders look somewhat dorky also but that might just become an expensive option for many if the shot shell belt issue becomes a hot issue.

Hey! Can a feller have single or double shell loops attached (sew) or slides on suspenders ? Maybe a dumb idea, dorky to look at, maybe illegal, but doesn't hurt to ask - although I doubt I'd do it cause I love my Doc Noper belt.

G (forward thinking :lol: )G ~ :FlagAm:

Hey! Can a feller have single or double shell loops attached (sew) or slides on suspenders ?

NO.

Maybe a dumb idea, dorky to look at, maybe illegal

Yes...yes... & YES.

...but doesn't hurt to ask - although I doubt I'd do it cause I love my Doc Noper belt.

G (forward thinking :lol: )G ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks PaleWolf Brunelle :lol: figgered as such I reckon :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yer welcome!

;)

BTW - It has always been the WB's position that a secured (e.g. tied down) bandolier is the same as a suspender...and illegal in that neither is on the list of approved methods for carrying ammo for stage reloads (which includes shotgun ammo).

Reference the SHB link that JH posted...page 11.

Just exactly how did the cowboys wear their shotgun belts back in the old west or in B westerns? I haven't seen many. Maybe they did wear em high to support their backs when riding! :rolleyes:

I've actually only seen one pic of a shotgun best being worn. The Handbook doesn't give a history on how shotgun belts were worn back when.

I wonder if shotgun shell belts were even commonly worn in the "way back when"..

If you was gonna do somebody with a shotgun, what was in it probably would do the job

especially if it was from a dark alley at night.

A few shells in the ol' coat or vest pockets probably was sufficient for anything else.

Find as many pictures as you can from the earlier SASS days, say fifteen plus years, and see how big a problem it was. I have only seen one guy, I think his name was Deadly Redley(sp?), wearing bra style. Perhaps some who were shooting back then can dispute this BUT I am thinking it was probably enacted more in fear of it becoming popular than because it was ever common. My take is that it would be better served to outlaw bra style wear and create a rule of thumb for below the arm pits rather than use the belly button. Anyone ever had, or seen, pistol hammers catch the bottom of shotshells/loops when the top belt is worn to close above the bottom belt?

If there's ever a movement set afoot to thin out and simplify the rule book, that's the first one that should go. There's any number of pards out there, including Yers Truly who wear a shotgun belt above their regular pistol belt, which puts the shotgun belt just above belly button level. But, I expect pigs will fly before the SASS rule book gets purged of such nonsense.

Maybe the rule should changed.

The people who wear the shotgun "bra" need to get a belt that will fit around their belly button "area" not move it up their torso so it can still be buckled.

Most would agree that one's chest measurement should be greater than their waist measurement. OK, that's in a perfect world and we are all getting older.

So get a shotgun belt that fits around your waist and wear it in the general belly button area and not under your armpits.

Under your armpits make you look like a dork that has out grown his belt and is unwilling to buy one that fits.

With all the movement required during a match, picking up brass, setting targets and yes even sometimes occasionally at the shooting line, to get a belt that will stay at the peek of a large belly is almost impossible. Much akin to what happens with many of the guys with their gun belt, the changing of the body's shape will no longer support pistols at the top of the hips and once that belt starts down there is nothing to stop it. It is just easier to try and get the belt to lay at the top of the belly button but for some it does try to migrate from there but we are still talking only an inch or so for most. I do not know if my memory is slipping further or the rule has changed to be more restrictive recently, I thought it read the bottom of the belt at belly button and not actually referring to the shell bottoms?

Archived