SASS Wire Forum

Zoot Shooters

I'm overthinking this, but there's something about holding a Thompson when dressed as a criminal that makes me a teeny bit uncomfortable. But then, I won't dress up like Billy the Kid either. As a cowboy, I can be anyone I want which includes everyday citizens of the period. There's not much character-wise between criminal and g-man as few everyday folks were toting guns.

Having said that, this sport may catch on among the younger set who didn't grow up watching cowboy shows of the 50's & 60's. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, back to my bathtub gin distillery! :lol:

I agree. Gangsters weren't a Hollywood creation. They were no-kidding brutal murderers and thieves.

But some guys dress in Nazi unfiorms to re-enact WWII battles.

Different strokes I reckon.

Well, truth is, that some folks have very narrow minds about other folks folly.

When I like to pretend that I am in a nudist colony and dress for the occasion,

well sort of, my neighbors get all testy about it. :blink:

Well, truth is, that some folks have very narrow minds about other folks folly.

When I like to pretend that I am in a nudist colony and dress for the occasion,

well sort of, my neighbors get all testy about it. :blink:

Bigots! :lol:

While I think it is great to have another shooting sport, especially one that follows SASS safety rules, I agree that its association with gangsters is an image problem. It may be stylized after the 1920s era gangsters, many of those guys were pretty bad guys.

I usually advise CAS clubs to wary of any close association with them. But to be clear that has everything to do with the era they are associated with, not how they operate or manage their matches.

Unlike CAS, there is not as large a variety of Hollywood movie themes available for their sport. Further many of the themes are decidedly negative. When interfacing with the public you are at much larger risk of getting a negative reaction than you would portraying cowboy themes. Maybe that is not fair, but it is fact.

I hope that they are successful...

I've always wondered about the Zoot Suit moniker. Those didn't come into fashion until the late 30s and early 40s, after the big Prohibition heydays of Capone and the boys.

But I suppose the name Gangster Action Shooting might really be a problem. :lol:

Um,

That second picture sure looks like Bat Masterson???

Well, Tanner there may be a good reason for that. I guess you could say it's a photo of Bat's alter ego "G Man". All the AZSA aliases aren’t bad guys; you can be a good guy as well. if you follow this link to the AZSA Facebook Pageand then check out the link to the Wall Street Journal article about the AZSA you'll see me dressed in a 1930's police uniform.

The shoot that npr attended to do that story was put on by the Sand Creek Raiders as our alter ego AZSA's 1st Precinct (hey, even a good guy name). Several of the shooters you see in the group photo are also cowboys including Frank Hammer (Texas Ranger who took down Bonnie and Clyde) who is Dutch Al at SASS shoots. John Smith (the guy shooting 2 1911's ala Bruce Willis) who isn't sure if he’s good or bad is my son AKA the "Catfish Kid" SASS 3600. Several other cowboys were also shooting that day. As a matter of fact Sweetwater Bill must have forgotten his AZSA name of "The Shive" when he talked to the reporter. The Swede (SASS's Six Gun Louie) and his wife "Queenie" drove several hours from Grand Junction, CO for this shoot. Several of the other shooters were IPSC, 3 gun or IDPA types.

AZSA is a lot of fun you should give it a try. It's not that hard to get your cowboy club to hold a Gangster Action Shooting match, you may be surprised to see how many cowboys will find a fedora and shoot. We have had several people shoot the match totally with cowboy guns (bring several) and have fun.

If you don’t own a Tommy Gun and would like a chance of winning one in a RAFFLE the Raiders are selling chances on one here but get in quick it will be given away at the Rocky Mountain regional Raid in June.

I went to their web site to see if there were any clubs in Virginia and still like the concept. What I found out was that most clubs or ranges will NOT allow full autos

I would like to say yes Zoot Shooting is fun, it allows you to shott alot of different guns. Not just a Tommy Gun. My first match all I had for a rifle was my cowboy gun . And yes I am a cowboy action shooter.I happen to like the old guns from the early 1900's. For my first pistol I used a Savage model 1907 in 32 acp. But now I use a 1911 45. So there are alot of people who probaly have some of the older guns and never use them.So get them out and dust them off and lets go shooting.

As far as being just bad guys, don't be a good guy. It all just boils down to another way of having fun and safe way of shooting.

AKA SIXGUNLOUIE (SASS #65467) The SWEDE (AZSA # 58

You gotta try the Zoot Shoot matches. It is a lot of fun and just another way of enjoying the shooting sports. I am a cowboy action shooter Ponce the Kid Sass #57814 and I shot with Bat Masterson aka the G-man at the match held at the 1rst Precinct. Your choice of guns is up to you. You can shoot several different types of guns. Tommy guns, lever action rifles, 1911's, various other semi auto pistols and a variety of double action revolvers. Shotguns are added to the mix for some more fun.

The Sass Wild Bunch matches added a new challenge to cowboy action shooting and a lot of fun, same goes for the zoot shoot matches. You have to give it a try! You can pick an alias that fits your personality just like cowboy action shooting allows. My alias is Al Capone! Tough act for an old Puerto Rican to pull off but what the heck its just for fun. I should be truly offended that you have to shoot the brown guys but your penalized for shooting the white guys. HUH!

Enjoy your sport!

I've always wondered about the Zoot Suit moniker. Those didn't come into fashion until the late 30s and early 40s, after the big Prohibition heydays of Capone and the boys.

But I suppose the name Gangster Action Shooting might really be a problem. :lol:

I had the same thought. Gangsters from the Prohibition Era didn't wear zoot suits.

From Wikipedia:

A zoot suit is a suit with high-waisted, wide-legged, tight-cuffed, pegged trousers, and a long coat with wide lapels and wide padded shoulders. This style of clothing was popularized by Mexican-Americans, African Americans, and Italian Americans during the late 1930s and 1940s.

I had the same thought. Gangsters from the Prohibition Era didn't wear zoot suits.

From Wikipedia:

A zoot suit is a suit with high-waisted, wide-legged, tight-cuffed, pegged trousers, and a long coat with wide lapels and wide padded shoulders. This style of clothing was popularized by Mexican-Americans, African Americans, and Italian Americans during the late 1930s and 1940s.

Yeah, well....cowboys in the real old west didn't wear the outfits we see in B-western. Support 'em and hope they do well.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

First Precinct (AKA the Sand Creek Raiders) will be hosting the AZSA 2011 Championship on September 11th. If any of my cowboy friends would like to come and shoot or simply watch you're all invited. I'm sure we have shooters coming to Colorado from as far away as Texas in the US and from the Netherlands outside the country. AZSA is still small enough at this point that everyone is welcome AZSA member or not. This could just be your chance to buy some new guns (or not) and shoot with a fun bunch of wiseguys and molls. Come on out and give it a try.

• 2 months later...

Zoot Shooting is a kick! Now, nothing can replace CAS in my heart, but I enjoy this new discipline. The name is Ruby and I have a lovely El Jefe Supreme I can take the bad guys out with.

Costuming is just as creative as CAS. Pop Woody has a cool railroad worker outfit. The Shiv has not only a Zoot Suit, but several "working Joe" suits put together from Goodwill. Heck, NASCAR grew out of the moonshine running era, which I suppose is a good thing.

Zoot Shooting is still in it's infancy, but it will be fun to watch it grow.

I was born in Compton, California, known today as part of south central Los Angeles. I have heard my dad talk about the Zoot Suit War of LA. 1943, which he witnessed as a teenager working at times in L.A.

It was not Tommy guns and 1911's r even revolvers. It was sticks, crowbars, and fists in group mobs.

Wondering about the costuming for the Zoot Suit shooting game. Do some of the shooters dress as Marines, Navy and Army personnel as well? Or maybe Los Angeles police officers? All were players in the Zoot Suit ruckus.

---------------------------

Here are a couple of links if you're interested in the Zoot Suit History and Riots.

From Wikipedia

from a History Workshop 1984

---------------------------

I think most organized shooting sports are good. But I also think if you are going to portray a time period in history, you should know a little about the history.

Geez...for a bunch of folks who are constantly complaining, in response to costuming Nazis and the like, that SASS is a fantasy game, not a history exam....lighten up!! :lol::lol:

"Cowboys" slaughtered Indians, raided competing ranches, and were generally regarded, at the time that they flourished, as undesireables. But we choose to create a fantasy that incorporates the best attributes that have been added by film and the passage of time to the ideal of the Golden West. I hope the Zoots find a way to do the same for their chosen era.

All of these "themed shooting events" are extremely valuable for improving the public reputation of safe, legal shooters. Let 'er rip, Zoot Shooters!!!

LL

Archived