SASS Wire Forum

Buffalo Stampede

Guest Coyote Calhoun, SASS #201

Fun factor really goes down when you have that much trouble hitting the targets.

Times were slow with many misses, hope this isn't a prelim for EOT.

Johnny Meadows

Holy moly! Did you look at the misses in Wild Bunch? YIKES! The traditional category winner had 15 with 1 "P". Interesting that there were only 30 WB shooters and 109 Action (I'm sure most shot both.)

Here in CO we had 127 last weekend at a monthly and 130 the month before. Hate to speculate as to why attendance was meager as I'm sure it was due to many, many factors.

Fun factor really goes down when you have that much trouble hitting the targets.

Times were slow with many misses, hope this isn't a prelim for EOT.

Johnny Meadows

johnny...i WON at sucking!!! i had 40 misses and a P. you only had 27 and a P. doesn't that make you a loser at sucking?

wait...my head hurts.

it was fun seeing which one of us could screw up worse.

Actually, I think the CAS match was excellent. There were several of us who shot it with 1 or 2 misses. Both of my misses were STUPID !!! Total lack of concentration. All the CAS targets were easily hittable. I attribute a lot of the misses to early Spring and no practice since last Fall for many of us.

As to the low attendance, 2 reasons come to mind, #1. MONEY! Times are tough. #2. Utah's biggest annual: Ruckus at Red Rocks in St. George was the same weekend this year. That removed at least a dozen UT shooters who are normally there and some from surrounding states who NEVER miss that match.

For the Wild Bunch match: We normally get 30+% of CAS shooters at our WB matches. This was about right. Repeat after me: "Wild Bunch is NOT Cowboy Action Shooting with a 1911." Target placement and engagement sequences are more difficult than CAS. Many CAS shooters have not adjusted to the more difficult shooting required for WB. We had a few shooters shoot the match with few misses, and many with misses because they were trying to shoot at CAS speed. If you shoot any other discipline except CAS you will think that the WB targets are EASY. WB gives CAS shooters a great opportunity to grow their shooting skills. it is FUN!!! (makes me even more ashamed about my misses in the CAS match).

Overall Buffalo Stampede is a GREAT weekend and those who miss it miss a great opportunity to shoot at Founder's Ranch. Many members of the Wild Bunch shoot the match. I had US Grant (SASS#2) on my posse. Hipshot, and Tex, also shot the match. Even Judge Roy Bean shot some. Coyote was too busy to shoot but was there.

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners at Buffalo stampede!! You earned those trophies!!

Actually, I think the CAS match was excellent. There were several of us who shot it with 1 or 2 misses. Both of my misses were STUPID !!! Total lack of concentration. All the CAS targets were easily hittable. I attribute a lot of the misses to early Spring and no practice since last Fall for many of us.

As to the low attendance, 2 reasons come to mind, #1. MONEY! Times are tough. #2. Utah's biggest annual: Ruckus at Red Rocks in St. George was the same weekend this year. That removed at least a dozen UT shooters who are normally there and some from surrounding states who NEVER miss that match.

For the Wild Bunch match: We normally get 30+% of CAS shooters at our WB matches. This was about right. Repeat after me: "Wild Bunch is NOT Cowboy Action Shooting with a 1911." Target placement and engagement sequences are more difficult than CAS. Many CAS shooters have not adjusted to the more difficult shooting required for WB. We had a few shooters shoot the match with few misses, and many with misses because they were trying to shoot at CAS speed. If you shoot any other discipline except CAS you will think that the WB targets are EASY. WB gives CAS shooters a great opportunity to grow their shooting skills. it is FUN!!! (makes me even more ashamed about my misses in the CAS match).

Overall Buffalo Stampede is a GREAT weekend and those who miss it miss a great opportunity to shoot at Founder's Ranch. Many members of the Wild Bunch shoot the match. I had US Grant (SASS#2) on my posse. Hipshot, and Tex, also shot the match. Even Judge Roy Bean shot some. Coyote was too busy to shoot but was there.

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners at Buffalo stampede!! You earned those trophies!!

Good Morning Happy Jack,

Yes, the big Utah State Ruckus at Red Rock shoot in St. George Utah was the same weekend and their attendance was down too, because shooters opted to go to the Stampede instead of the Ruckus. To bad the Stampede was rescheduled to the same weekend as the Ruckus.

Weather was perfect in St. George Utah and there were numerous clean shooters. I shot the 5stage mini-match, the 12 stage main match and the Top Gun Shoot off all clean. The Dixie Desperados know how to put on a good match.

Back to the topic, congradulations to all the shooters at the Stampede. I hope you all had as much fun as we all had in Utah. That is what it is all about.

Blastmaster

First off let me state that we had a great posse. Everyone worked so hard and not a problem to be had.

This was my first and probably last visit to FR along with a few others. I did not enjoy the Cowboy Action match at all and I didn't shoot the wild bunch match. This is just a view from my saddle. Others may have a different read on it.

My biggest issue was the pistol targets, they were out there a ways. Now don't get me wrong. I didn't expect a Boarder Town match, but I didn't enjoy pistol targets that had to be shot at odd angles, 16x20 pistol knockdowns and a distance that was set at SASS Max and a few others beyond. I found it difficult to engage rifle targets that were set lower and behind pistol targets and difficult to hit for us height impaired folks. Someone should have had an apple box for us to stand on.

I had my share of misses... But some folks...my gosh, how discouraging to go to the World Shooting Arena and come home with that many misses. I expected better from the Wild Bunch. Live and learn. Think me and mine will head for the Ruckus Next year.

Guest Coyote Calhoun, SASS #201

To all

I agree 1 clean shooter is not enough. The target placement was a little on the far side and the blowing winds did not help either. Have no fear this is NOT what EOT will look like. It will be as close as it was last year.

Also our low numbers were because we had to move the match forward a week because of Easter and moving it back was not an option because of the NRA Show, so we lost some shooters. Next year we hope to get the ST George shooters after they shoot that match.

Coyote

The one thing I did not care for was pistol knockdowns that even 45's could not knock down. They were apparently not reset after the wild bunch. Was unfair to the shooters and discouraging to those wanting a clean match.

Painted Filly

To all

I agree 1 clean shooter is not enough. The target placement was a little on the far side and the blowing winds did not help either. Have no fear this is NOT what EOT will look like. It will be as close as it was last year.

Coyote

I want no fear that the Buffalo Stampede 4 Corners Regional 2012 will not look like this again. Let us know....

Stumble Leena +

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Verryyyyyyy interesting!!!

I have shooters remorse for not shooting at some matches. This also is a match I did want to attend, but couldn't seee my way clear.

I'm patting the $700.00 I still have in my pocket because I didn't attend. Perhaps more if it was a lost brass match. The Wild Bunch match at WR was a killer for brass.

Thanks for aleviating my remorse.

Congratulations to all the winners. You deserve a good win in those conditions.

Pack

I don't see any reason to pile on this thread. Calhoun has already stated that he was disappointed with the targets set as well, and that it is in no way a reflection of EOT. If you make a decision to not shoot EOT based on this match I think you are selling the management of this organization short.

As for the Wild Bunch, it is a very different game, intentionally so. Pistol targets at 10-12 yards are the norm. I promise that 1911 gets heavy and hard to steady with one hand after 80 or 90 rounds, and you've still got two more stages :blink: . And the 150 power factor don't help either.

As for Hopefull's first time experience, I can promise you that is not the regular FR that you shot. EOT is much more than just 12 stages of shooting. It is a week long journey back in time. Sitting with friends old and new, seeing what the vendors have to offer, watching the mounted shooting, shooting a 140 year old Gatling gun spewing fire. Lots to see and do, and you get to shoot the very same stages that the finest shooters this sport offers do. It truly is a celebration, a bit of fun that you need to see at least once while we still have the opportunity.

Dang! Now I am extra remorseful I missed it. All the things Hopefull (who cannot be a guest and must have a SASS # having just shot a regional) did not enjoy are just the things I DO enjoy. Different strokes for different folks.

As for Hopefull's first time experience, I can promise you that is not the regular FR that you shot. EOT is much more than just 12 stages of shooting. It is a week long journey back in time. Sitting with friends old and new, seeing what the vendors have to offer, watching the mounted shooting, shooting a 140 year old Gatling gun spewing fire. Lots to see and do, and you get to shoot the very same stages that the finest shooters this sport offers do. It truly is a celebration, a bit of fun that you need to see at least once while we still have the opportunity.

Ahhh Lone Dog you are so wise.... :ph34r:

Goody, the last EOT I was at was in Norco...and you are absolutely correct.

This was my first time shooting experience at the ranch and won’t be my last but I don’t think I’ll make it to EOT. I had a great time but a less than stellar performance. I was fortunate enough to be on a great and fun posse with Tex. I found the stages interesting and challenging that's for sure. Noting overly difficult and no real P traps. The targets were out there but so was the state shoot at Old Magdalena last year. One thing I would like to see is a better mix. If you have some spaced at the max then make some close and fast. No one ever does that it’s either one or the other.

I don't see any reason to pile on this thread. Calhoun has already stated that he was disappointed with the targets set as well, and that it is in no way a reflection of EOT. If you make a decision to not shoot EOT based on this match I think you are selling the management of this organization short.

As for the Wild Bunch, it is a very different game, intentionally so. Pistol targets at 10-12 yards are the norm. I promise that 1911 gets heavy and hard to steady with one hand after 80 or 90 rounds, and you've still got two more stages :blink: . And the 150 power factor don't help either.

Agree with Goody and I must admit I had concerns about EOT from the early post on this thread, but with CC's post....now I have my excitment for EOT shooting again. Have not missed one in 11 years and hopefully will not miss this one. EOT, and Winter Range, are great matches to make for fun, good stages, and great visiting with friends, old and new.

Seems like a recurring theme, Buffalo Stampede match making some shooters unhappy potentially effecting later EOT attendance. Not the first time it has happened. Let's hope the WB follows through with the promise of better targets/placement.

Seems like a recurring theme, Buffalo Stampede match making some shooters unhappy potentially effecting later EOT attendance. Not the first time it has happened. Let's hope the WB follows through with the promise of better targets/placement.

Wasn't it last year or the year before where they set the KD's way heavy?

You know fellers, this was a very good shoot, and if you weren't there you missed a lot fun. Some found the targets a bit far, but I heard no complaints (until I read the WAHR! :wacko: ). We had a great posse, and enjoyed the stages. The biggest issue I had was the wind, but that issue is above CC and the gangs paygrade! :P In any case, EOT will have them in closer, and it's going to be a great event. Better get signed up - it's filling up fast! :)

Some found the targets a bit far, but I heard no complaints (until I read the WAHR! :wacko: ). We had a great posse, and enjoyed the stages.

Well Gee Wiz Grizzly Adams,

Next time I have a "complaint" I'll be sure to look you up! .... now that I realize you were in charge of that. :wacko:

I don't think that stating that the pistol targets were a bit far and knockdowns were a little tough is overly complaining. Constructive criticism can be a good thing once in a while.

Sass has given us this forum to discuss things, and I think those of us that were there have remained very civil.

How bout some things I really Like!

I loved the the Turkey coming at ya! That was a hoot. I really like the running buffalo. That was a good challenge. Folks that had shot it before were giving us all good pointers. The swinging target was fun, although that was a spotter nightmare without a more definitive order. I think some shooters just like to mess with our minds! :lol:

I realize that Coyote Calhoun has mentioned that EOT will not be this way but a heads up on the regional would have been nice. I still would have gone, but would have been able to wrap my head around it a little better.

And I do believe.....that you and CC were the only ones to complain mention about the Wind. So obviously we already knew that the Wind was out of their (Wild Bunch) control.

Still remaining Hopeful!

Hopefull :wub::ph34r::wub:

Everyone has a right to their opinions. I respect what others have posted and here are my comments. I liked Buffalo Stampede (even if it was rather challenging) and I will most definitely be at EOT. Good people, semi-decent weather, some challenging targets, and lots of stages and transitions that were new to me. Closer targets at EOT will be fine, but remember, close or not, we all shoot the same targets. I only shot CAS (not WB) due to having to work.

Having a clean shoot is good, but not generally my goal. I have been to other shoots when only 1 or 2 shooters had clean matches so I know that is not unique. Speaking just for myself, I do not mind some difficult targets and would love to see similar targets again sometime in the future. I also like fast and close, just not every shoot. Variety is a good thing.

Our posse (5) Friday included General Grant and other than one bad primer (that caused a FTF and miss) he was clean that day. Another Posse member(English Lyn who was 7th on the overall) had only 1 miss over the two days. Lyn is a focused, controlled, and calm shooter, but he also shot quite fast.

By the way, all my pistol knockdowns fell (and I shoot 38's). I had 6 misses total and all were my fault, not the targets. All but 1 miss was due outrunning my sights.

Hope to see you all (all-ya-all) at EOT.

I had a great time as well! I took 2nd in my catagory...would've taken third if someone else had been there!!!! Seriously, there were several in our posse with 1 miss, for whatever reason, and some that shot without a miss, but earned a P. I am not a very fast shooter, but I am fairly consistant....and I shot pretty much as I normally do. With some pretty quick times for me. :)

Archived