SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Model 1887 Lever Action Shotgun

Paco Steel

I am new to the wire so I am sure this has been asked before. What are the pros and cons to using a 1887 Lever Action Shotgun in Cowboy Shooting. I have a side by side and an 1897 pump. I just can not get it together to shoot the 1897 very well. I am doing much better with the side by side but I want to take it up a notch. Will the 1887 help or just be another problem? Thanks to all in advance. Paco Steel

Stick with the side by side, while some can shoot 87s, slicked up ones, well, from what I understand it's far easier to "compete" with a side by side.

On the other hand, a lever shotgun is just plain COOL.

Grizz

The 87 takes a lot of practice to become quick with it. If you think it will take you "up a notch" over the times with your double, that most likely won't be true. Again, 87s are fun, they can be very fast; however, they take a LOT of practice.

The 87 takes a lot of practice to become quick with it. If you think it will take you "up a notch" over the times with your double, that most likely won't be true. Again, 87s are fun, they can be very fast; however, they take a LOT of practice.

+1 here

I have both, the 1887 is just too cool but I don't practice with it so I am dammed slow with it. It tales A LOT of practice ta get fast with these....

I am at least twice as quick with the SxS.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Deuce does them all fast. I am waitting to see him do a S X S hammer. I watch his vid on the S X S and try with my Baikal,and it has helped me alot.I have a really nice 97 but I cant do it as fast as I can my S X S but It is fun also.

I started this game 20 years ago with a 97. I could never get any speed out of it. (I never practice) I sold it and got a SxS. I was OK with it. (I never practice) I gave it to my wife when she started to shoot. I got my 87 then and a buddy did the "drop 2" job on it and I'm not THAT slow with it. (Oh, and did I say "I don't practice")

TF

I must be missing it on the score card.Everyone talks about style points is there a place on the score card for them.Maybe I can get some of them,I need something good on my card.

I must be missing it on the score card.Everyone talks about style points is there a place on the score card for them.Maybe I can get some of them,I need something good on my card.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will stay with my SxS and do a little more practice and have fun with the 97. Safe shooting to all and if anyone is going to be at the Oakwood, Texas shoot this weekend, I will see you there.

Style points are like respect and friendship, there is no place on the scorecard for them, but they have value and bring enjoyment none the less.

A big part about what I love about cowboy action shooting is seeing the "costumes." A classic cowboy shooter who goes the whole nine yards with spurs and chaps and all the other gear. Another is seeing the guns, while Rugers, Marlins, Stoegers, 97s and 73s are the most common, it's a treat to see the open tops, or 87s, or Schofileds or whatever. Yes, if I relied solely on the scorecard for my enjoyment, I'd be missing out.

It's a great game and can be enjoyed on many different levels.

Grizz

Oh man I do love this game, lets go shoot!

I am new to the wire so I am sure this has been asked before. What are the pros and cons to using a 1887 Lever Action Shotgun in Cowboy Shooting. I have a side by side and an 1897 pump. I just can not get it together to shoot the 1897 very well. I am doing much better with the side by side but I want to take it up a notch. Will the 1887 help or just be another problem? Thanks to all in advance. Paco Steel

I think the 87 is as fast as u practice......

One the good things of an 87 is while moving u can load and when u stop or plant your foot close and fire, that can make up some time.

CCBA

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will stay with my SxS and do a little more practice and have fun with the 97. Safe shooting to all and if anyone is going to be at the Oakwood, Texas shoot this weekend, I will see you there.

Will be there in the mourning. Shooting Sat only.

Look me up. I am a big feller. Most anyong can point ya to me.

Will be gald to take a few in the mourning and run you through some

things that might help you with the SxS.

And if it needs any work done.

One of the good SxS Gunsmiths. Gunslinger. He will be there also.

I shoot a Stoeger SxS, an original '97 and an original '87.

SxS - fast and dependable, simple

'97 - fast but many moving parts that can cause problems, always carry a spare ejector spring

'87 - great style, fast once the shells are in, takes more practice, my original requires 2-1/2" shells that takes longer to reload

I wished that they allowed '87s in Wild Bunch. Five shells in the mag and one on the carrier is a daisy!

Will be there in the mourning. Shooting Sat only.

Look me up. I am a big feller. Most anyong can point ya to me.

Will be gald to take a few in the mourning and run you through some

things that might help you with the SxS.

And if it needs any work done.

One of the good SxS Gunsmiths. Gunslinger. He will be there also.

Anvil Al,

Sorry that I missed getting with you at the shoot Saturday. I had a great time and will hopyful be there in March. I will be looking you up at furture shoots.

... I just can not get it together to shoot the 1897 very well...

Then you may not have the time it will take to shoot the '87 well. Deuce makes a comment in his video "...when the '87 goes south, it really goes south." (or words to that effect).

Olen

IMHO the 87 shotgun is the most handsome shotgun there is. Once mastered, as with any shotgun, it is a kick in the pants to shoot. There are a lot of SASS shooters that will not shoot anything except an 87.

Roy

PS

As for style points, think of them as "The Spirit Of The Game".

I shot my 87 for about a year without fail. I still have it and like it and as it's been stated it is probably the slowest style gun to master. I shoot 100% BP and at my age I will never be the overall shooter. Like Deuce says in his video when you have a trainwreck it is a good one. I know of one match that I was having trouble with the drop two and even the newbies were faster.I have had several cowboys just stare at it at the loading table. I went back to shooting my SXS and have mixed feelings every match. In fact if you look at my avatar that is what I am shooting.

Archived