SASS Wire Forum

Ringing shotshell hulls?

Grizzly Dave

ROl Handbook, page 26

Match Disqualification

Shooting illegal ammunition. This includes ammunition that exceeds the maximum velocity and shotgun shells that have been bottle-neck resized or ringed.

This was discussed about 3 years ago at the TG meeting @ the Convention. This was the last year that we met in "The Top of the Riv". A rep from Hornady came in & gave an explanation on the pressure build up of the bottle neck resized shells. Massive build up. The ringing was also discussed and the Wild Bunch determined that if you were caught using this type of ammo, IT IS A MATCH D Q.

Shenny

I was thinking the B&Ps were 2 and 1/2 inchers.

Pretty sure the Aguilas are only 1 and 1/2 inch.

Actually, they are listed as 1 3/4 inch long in the Midway catalog:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=162922

Can we split the difference of our two memories? :lol:

Good luck, GJ

This was discussed about 3 years ago at the TG meeting @ the Convention. This was the last year that we met in "The Top of the Riv". A rep from Hornady came in & gave an explanation on the pressure build up of the bottle neck resized shells. Massive build up. The ringing was also discussed and the Wild Bunch determined that if you were caught using this type of ammo, IT IS A MATCH D Q.

Shenny

Hi Folks,

What shocked me about this was, after the Hornady representative explained the dangers one individual was indignant and said he sees it all the time without problems. :rolleyes: I'm glad to hear that the WR board isn't taking any chances someone may have overlooked this rule.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy

I remember when this whole topic first came up a year or two ago. I had never heard of either 'ringing' or 'coning' of shotgun shells at that point. When I heard about this, I was amazed, once again, at the levels some shooters will go to to gain a little bit of an advantage.

Some folks just can't afford that new Cadillac outright, they gotta go out and WIN one. :P

Ok....a different question on the rule book along the same subject line.I know a few people that make 2 1/2 inch 12 ga shells by cutting down a 2 3/4 so they can load 6 in a 97 for Wild Bunch.Is that considered Illegal ammuntion?To be honest,I'd never heard of doing either til recently.

OK. Since Charlie already hijacked the thread, can we take this one further... I'm trying to find a gentle shot shell load for my wrangler daughter. Can I hand-load whatever length I need?

OK. Since Charlie already hijacked the thread, can we take this one further... I'm trying to find a gentle shot shell load for my wrangler daughter. Can I hand-load whatever length I need?

You can, if you can figure out what the loading data needs to be. There is very little loading data for the shorty shells. Components that work well are hard to find. Etc. Curly's Featherlite duplication recipe is what most folks find to be very nice. Or, look on the Win AA powder canister for the factory duplication load for Featherlites.

And, some 97s don't like the short shells very much.

Good luck, GJ

It's a good thing no one has put any molasses in the shotshells like we use to do when goose hunting....

They sure would take down them pesky knockdowns!

So if you score the hull at the top close to the crimping, the load will not be shot as "one projectile", and in some SxS it is more easy to "eject" the hulls as part of the crimping is going out with the load and do not "lock" in the chamber BUT NOT ACTS AS A ONE PROJECTILE.

That is a really unsafe thing to do, as it can quite easily leave the top hull fragment stuck in the barrel, which obstructs the next shot, and blows the barrel. A scored hull is a scored hull. Let's not suggest that the location of the scoring higher up toward the crimp will make a scored hull legal!

Good grief, GJ

PS: If you want a hul that will eject easily, try a brass or paper hull trimmed to remove crimp, then roll crimp your load in. THAT will legally leave you with a shorter hull that cannot hang up on the forcing cone.

Putting the illegal and unsafe part aside, I fail to see how ringing the shells would even be an advantage. Personally, I need all the pellet spread I can get. I think a 7" pattern is a lot more likely to hit the target than a 3/4 "slug". Anyone shooting these illegal shells should be easily identified by the brass collectors at the end of the stage. Only at a lost brass match would a person have any chance at getting away with this.

Anyone shooting these illegal shells should be easily identified by the brass collectors at the end of the stage. Only at a lost brass match would a person have any chance at getting away with this.

Only at EOT and WR have I heard of this being done. Both are lost brass and large posse matches. So, even if you knew the posse that shot, you may not know which shooter.

Good luck, GJ

That is a really unsafe thing to do, as it can quite easily leave the top hull fragment stuck in the barrel, which obstructs the next shot, and blows the barrel. A scored hull is a scored hull. Let's not suggest that the location of the scoring higher up toward the crimp will make a scored hull legal!

IIRC, the question at the time was whether the definition (as quoted from page 12 of the SHB) applied to what CRR referenced.

Shotgun Shell shall not be scored (ringed) as to cause the shot-shell case, wad and shot column to be shot from the firearm as one projectile.
It does not.

Putting the illegal and unsafe part aside, I fail to see how ringing the shells would even be an advantage. Personally, I need all the pellet spread I can get. I think a 7" pattern is a lot more likely to hit the target than a 3/4 "slug". Anyone shooting these illegal shells should be easily identified by the brass collectors at the end of the stage. Only at a lost brass match would a person have any chance at getting away with this.

Only at EOT and WR have I heard of this being done. Both are lost brass and large posse matches. So, even if you knew the posse that shot, you may not know which shooter.

If a member of a specific posse is suspected of using illegal (ringed) SG ammo, it isn't that difficult to determine who it is IF the SG hulls are being raked off the line between shooters.

That method was used at EoT a few years ago (once it was narrowed down to a particular posse).

It turned out (in that case) that the shooter was using cut-down 16ga ammo (in a 'short chambered SxS) that had the overshot card glued in.

The fact that there aren't many 16ga shooters made it even easier to find (and vindicate) the "suspect".

WR and EOT are not the only lost brass matches. Where did you get that idea?

Not at all what was said. Sorry. GJ

Actually, they are listed as 1 3/4 inch long in the Midway catalog:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=162922

Can we split the difference of our two memories? :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Well I'll give ya the 2 & 5/8 on the B&Ps. Just pulled out a box and yep that's what it sez raht thar on it's ownself.

But the Aguila's have always been advertised as inch and a half-ers every where else. Just measured one to be sure. 1 & 1/2 " by my yardstick. Midway is wrong.

Archived