SASS Wire Forum

Best 1911 for WB, CC and Home

Badlands Beady

Wild Bunch is outside my immediate area of interest, but I'm also looking for home-defense and concealed weapons, and I could easily get sucked into WB without much effort.. A 1911 of some sort would work for all three purposes, plus I've got a certain amount of affection for the gun. There's been a lot of discussion about 1911s, especially the ones just released (Para and Remington). So, which one 1911 would "best" for WB, home and carry?

BTW, size isn't necessarilly a problem. I've recently been told I'm big enough (6'4", 280 lbs) that I could use most guns for CC.

You ask a good question. First priority for your intended use of CC and Home Defense is 'reliablility'. Meaning, it feeds ammo and fires every single time w/o malfunction. Not all do straight out of the box. Even the ones that do, doesn't mean the same model right next to it will. There are dozens of different manuf and even more models of 1911 design. They all work to various degrees, but??? You don't necessarily know. It could be as simple as replacing the magazine or it likes a particular style of bullet for feeding purposes to make the gun function near flawlessly. Then it could need professional gun smithing to make it run reliable. Who knows. You can only hope that sticking with a higher end price wise model will be closer to working out of the box.

First step would be to go to a Wild Bunch match and see who can make it through the match w/o 1911 gun malfunction. Then ask what model and what modifications (if any) they did.

Model 1911's and Uberti 1873/66 are great guns after being tuned up, but out of the box, a dfferent store. Exception are the high end guns.

JMO,

Blastmaster

Seeing how Wild Bunch requires a 5" barrel, you can rule out the 1911 "shorties". Then "ya gots ta decide" if you are a traditional guy or a "modern dude", deciding on fixed sights or adjustable sights and other embellishments, which will determine the "class" in WB you fit.

Not meaning any disrespect, the topic of which 1911 is "best" has been discussed many times. Check some of the old threads. If money was really not a major factor, go for a Colt or a Springfield Mil Spec. If you want a reliable no frills standard plain Jane traditional 1911, the RIA is reliable and quite affordable. I also like the made in USA Auto Ordinance, nice fit and finish and military markings. All of the foregoing would fit in the traditional category. If you are going modern, I would lean toward the Springfields. You get a lot of extras for a reasonable price. Of course, if you are carrying concealed, it will be "locked and loaded".

IMHO, the Remingtons are nice, but at what they sell for, get a Colt. The new SASS 1911's look sweet, but are they much better than those already mentioned? It looks pretty and if available and priced right, it is a viable option. Dunno.

I figure that a group of Pards will chime in about their Para's, Kimbers, and others. I'm just talking about what I have handled. There are plenty of quality 1911's out there.

For concealed carry, I like the 1911 shorties (I've got a Springfield V10 Compact.) I like the Smith and Wesson M&P or Springfield XD, both double action. But of course, they are not WB material. But they do give you an excuse to build the herd. :lol: I am partial to 45ACP and have a few in the barn. I have a really nice Smith and Wesson SW99 45 cal., the forerunner to the M&P. Verrrrrrrry Nice. Fits in the hand perfectly and is very accurate. My pride and joy is a Colt Combat Commander that has be accurized by Jim Hoag - custom bushing and barrel fitting, opened ejection port, polished feed ramp, and Smith and Wesson revolver sights. It is "tight".

Now that I have muddied the field, good luck. I am sure there will plenty of guys who will disagree with some of what I said, so let the discussion begin. ;)

MJJ

Howdy,

If possible try before you buy.

With all semiautos, the magazine has to work right.

You can fix the 1911 ten times but if the problem is the mag

it still wont run....

Read the rules and buy a 1911 that fits the class you want.

Also check with your local clubs and see if they are bending

rules to allow more barrel lengths etc.

afaik our local club has yet to have any wild bunch stage,

so you might be getting a gun that isnt used at your club.

As for a brand, those springfield folks are real serious about 1911.

Best

CR

As the folks at Gunsite chant:

Steel frame for range and competition

Aluminum frame for carry.

Get two! (Colts that is!)

Seriously: You'll enjoy shooting a steel frame 1911 at the range and in WB. Less recoil and quicker shooting. You will learn to hate carrying a heavy, steel frame 1911 for CCW. The aluminum frame 1911's aren't as much fun to shoot, but they do carry nicely.

BB,I first picked up a High Standard which is one of the generic Philippines guns. It has an action that is as heavy and ruff as a cop but has yet to fail to chamber ans fire. Interestingly it also functions perfectly with the Ceiner 22 conv unit but it definitely needs some gunsmith attention to smooth it out. I almost find it amazing that one so ruff can function so well but unlike some that reliability has always been true for any out of the box 1911 I have ever owned. I did manage to lock on to one of the last of the Colt WW1 1911 Reproductions and really like it, more like what I expect from a Colt. I am not a cop, a soldier, a mercenary or even a bank robber BUT as an everyday old fat man I do count on my stock 1911s, as made by Colt, to be there for me if the need should ever arise.

As a matter of interest we had a shooter playing WB at our last match and I watched for a couple of stages. He was shooting from a two hand combat style and was holstering the pistol, action open after shooting. Much more IPSC than I have seen elsewhere and I like that notion. If we are going to have a Modern Class then shoot it modern style. WB is somewhat rare around here and I get the impression that the local is just letting the individual play his own game.

I have one of the newer GI Springfields with the Integrated Lock System (ILS) and ended up replacing the mainspring housing in order to ditch the ILS. My older (early 90's) Springfield does not have this "feature" which, in my opinion, screws up the trigger pull. I'd look at others first.

The best 1911 for CC is a Glock or j-frame. The best 1911 for home is a Glock. Shooting Wild Bunch for a while has reconfirmed the findings of my youth.

I don't know which of the new 1911's is the best. I can tell you that the customer service at Springfield is among the best I've ever gotten for anything I've ever purchased. And, the Springfield has *almost* restored my naive faith in the 1911 design for serious uses -- almost.

I have a parkerized Springfield 1911 Loaded and it is a fine pistol. I bought the Loaded for IPSC a few years back and I love it. I carry it off-duty sometimes and the night sights are a nice bonus. It has some features you won't need for Wild Bunch but again, I bought mine before I ever considered CAS or Wild Bunch shooting. If you are LE they give nice discounts and their customer service is above and beyond. At your size you should have no trouble concealing it.

Regards. Zeke Rivers

I am looking at buying the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec to use in Wild Bunch. My question is what category can I shoot this gun in and what magazines work well?

I am looking at buying the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec to use in Wild Bunch. My question is what category can I shoot this gun in and what magazines work well?

Either Traditional or Modern category works with a 5 inch barrel MilSpec. Chip McCormick shooting star mags will normally work very well for a price under $20 each in either blue or stainless (get the stainless for a little stronger mag and less maintenance). You want a mag that has NO bumper pad on the bottom. New Colt mags work well, most of the time. And, for a premium magazine, usually has to be ordered direct from the factory, look at Tripp Research. The Wild Bunch forum is a great(er) place for a question such as this.

at: http://sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

Good luck, GJ

I own a Rem R1, an RIA, and an AO. I love my Rock and my Tommy BUT I realllly love that R1. The most accurate 1911 I have ever shot. First session right out of the box I hit a clay bird at somewhere between 50 and 75 yards, two-handed unsupported. Now granted it was a scratch shot but it shows how accurate the R1 is. The gun has never choked and works with any and all mags so far, even the 10 round Chip McCormick the other 2 don't like at all. The R1 will work for both Traditional or Modern Wild Bunch depending on if you shoot with two hands on it or one. Just black out the white dots on the sights, good to go.

For CC you don't need any bells or whistles. KISS. The R1 will work for CC fine. Just a little heavy.

For CC I am seriously lusting after one of those aluminum frame Kimber super carry bell and whistle laden too-dang-expensive dream 1911s with the round butt. No good for WB tho. For WB I cannot recommend the Rem R1 high enuff. You will never regret the purchase of one. Got mine at Gander Mountain for a reasonable price.

Howdy Badlands, as to which 1911?? :huh: there are so many good ones out there it all depends on the one you like the best and fits your budget. Capt Baylor's site goes into detail on the difference between Modern and Traditional categories, if you plan to shoot two handed then you have more options on which style to get. I have a Rock Island Tactical and it functions flawless, I suggest Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat mags no matter what you buy. Another real nice inexpensive 1911 is the EMF Regent 1911-A1, a couple of pards here have them and are very satisfied, if I decided to shoot Traditional this would be a fine choice. Go to some matches and try some 1911s out, WB is a blast :) . Good Luck

Capt. Baylor's

Regent 1911-A1

As a matter of interest we had a shooter playing WB at our last match and I watched for a couple of stages. He was shooting from a two hand combat style and was holstering the pistol, action open after shooting.

Howdy Bob, you might suggest the ROs do a little reading up on the WB rules, 1911 pistol is never allowed to be reholstered after shooting unless it is first cleared, slide closed, hammer dropped. Need a table or prop to restage if not the last firearm.

WB Manual page 9

• The 1911 must be restaged safely at the end of each shooting string with the slide locked open, unless the 1911 is the last firearm used. It may contain an empty magazine or no magazine when restaged. (Failure to comply, SDQ. Per SASS rules, the shooter has until firing the next firearm to correct without penalty.)

• At the end of the course of fire the 1911 must be shown clear on the firing line. Under the supervision of the TO or other match official, the magazine is removed, slide cycled if not locked open, and the chamber checked. Then the slide is closed to battery, and the hammer is dropped before holstering. (Failure to comply, SDQ)

Jefro :ph34r:

Archived