SASS Wire Forum

round or octagon ?

Blue Roan Hardesty

Octagonal barrels of the same flat-to-flat measure as the outside diameter of a round barrel will be a little heavier, and quite a bit stiffer. They also are a little harder to machine, so more expensive. Much harder if you want a tapered octagonal, while a tapered round barrel is pretty easy.

As octagonal barrels are no longer generally provided on even very expensive target rifles, the shooting community's consensus apparently has become (over 100 years or more of target shooting) that they are not any more accurate than round ones.

It's just whatever style you prefer. I like octagonal barrels on 73 actions. But not on SAA revolvers.

Good luck, GJ.

(and, typing in all caps is considered SHOUTING on the Internet).

Howdy

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a photo of the business ends of several original Winchester Model 1873 rifles. Two are octagons, and two are round.

Muzzles

Back in the flintlock days rifles were often made one at a time by local gunsmiths. Many of these artisans did not have access to sophisticated equipment for making barrels. Barrels were often made by wrapping a long strip of iron around a mandrel and welding it together with one long seam. Many of these gunsmiths did not own a lathe capable of turning a barrel round, so it was easier to finish the barrel by filling flats onto it, resulting in an octagon barrel.

In the late 1800s Winchester offered barrels in both round and octagon configurations. They were also available in a half round/half octagon shape. Winchester actually considered round barrels to be standard, but they often charged no more for an octagon barrel.

Today, octagon barrels are considered to be 'old timey', and many modern rifle makers offer octagon barrels specifically aimed at the Cowboy market.

I own an old Marlin and two old Winchesters from the time period, but none of them have octagon barrels, they are all round.

I personally like an octagon barrel on my Cowboy rifles. I think the extra barrel weight makes it a little more stable platform. Besides, it just looks cool. The modern octagon barreled rifles are more expensive than the "standard" round barrels.

In a 73 or 92 or Marlin or similar pistol caliber rifle, I have no reason to believe that round or octagon makes any difference with regard to function or accuracy of the weapon. But, octagons sure to look cool.

On the other hand, I do recall an article from several years ago in one of the gun magazines, (probably Guns & Ammo or American Rifleman as they were the ones my Dad subscribed to) that octagon barrelled Winchester 94 *rifles* in .30-30 were capable of outstanding long range accuracy that their 20" round barrelled carbines could not aspire too.

Since I don't have an octagon 94 rifle to compare my carbine to, I can not attest to the accuracy of this information. But it is an interesting tidbit, that I still wish to put to the test some day.

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE ? THANKS BLUE ROAN

If you question is how the two compare for the CAS game I can tell you, I sell more 20" octagon guns than any other configuration. I has mostly to do with how the gun swings and then stables up for the shot. The 20" round barrel swings fast but because it doesn't have the forward weight up front it tends to wobble a bit getting the sight picture. The 24" octagon has the forward weight but can be slow and cumbersome swinging. The 20" octagon seems to be the compromise. It still swings well but has enough weight to help stabilize for the shot.

:lol: I see by your SASS number we need to welcome you to the fire WELCOME

Weight is the main difference you will feel shooting round and oct barrels. I would suggest

1. Go to your local ranges and handle-shoot several rifles.

2. When you purchase, get a rifle that has already been slicked up as that will save you $ and time down the road. A stock gun is not much fun to shoot and not very reliable. Some good buys here on the web and several well known smiths in the chronicle.

Just the view from my rocking horse

McKenzie

PS Might want to add your area to your avitar so we know where you live. If it is Ga, hope to shoot with you.

Archived