SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Summer was always considered "The Polio Season" when I was a boy. Stay away from crowds. So what does my Mom (may she rest in Peace these eight years) do? She enrolls me in a swimming class at the local Y. (Of course, it wasn't known back then that polio can be a water-borne disease. Fortunately, I escaped! I remember well, while on a car trip with my folks, that the FDA had approved the Salk polio vaccine shots. Soon as we got home from the trip my pediatrician was able to get the doses (three, plus an annual booster, IIRC). Later, the oral (on the sugar cube) Sabin vaccine came out. I had most of the "childhood" diseases that they now have vaccines for. No ill effects, thankfully, but I knew at least one 20-year old who got the measles...and was rendered stone deaf by it! So "Mary" on Little House on the Prairie" going blind wasn't just Hollywood! Good for the attending doc!
  3. The left side on a horse is the "hear" side, and the right side is called the "off" side. Why mount from the left? Just don't know, BUT all my horses could be mounted from the near or off sides, and dismounted from either side also. Comes in handy at times. ALL of the ranch horses I've ridden could be mounted and dismounted from either side. I think it might go back to soldiers carried their swords on the left side and mounting from that side made it easier to not get tangled up. Just a wild A$$ guess.... Oh Badger, y'all have a long way to go before ya come close to Alpo.
  4. | | Lest we forget.... Lest we forget! | |
  5. Poaching a beaver? I thought the mountain men preferred to fry or bake the tail.
  6. Dawg? Dawg? What? Cooncan, sure. But Dawg??? First Dawg shoots Land Run clean and now this??? But really, congratulations to a couple of top notch shooters and very fine folks. I wish I could have made that match. Sounds like you all had a great time! Hope to see you all soon.
  7. $7.50? At the ballpark? That IS cheap. I think they're $7.95 at the movie theater. For me it's chips, lots of cheese and lots of jalapenos. Angus
  8. Some people lack the gene that allows them to perceive the difference.
  9. I thought you were already confused but what do I know
  10. First let me say, as a horseman, I am a greenhorn. But I have an inherited interest and appreciation of these wonderful animals. My paternal Grandfather and maternal Grandfather, having grown up with horses as the main method of transportation, gave me that. They both possessed a keen eye for horseflesh. My question however, is "Why do riders almost always mount from the left side?" I sometimes see exceptions to that in Hollywood films, but otherwise, not so much. I said I was a greenhorn. Move over Alpo. I got questions too.
  11. I finally watched it a while back. Mainly because it was so critically acclaimed. I didn't know anything else about the movie. I didn't care for it and see no reason to ever watch it again. It reinforced my feelings that any "critically acclaimed" movie isn't worth watching. That's just my two cents worth. Angus
  12. Why can't she go by her own dinner?
  13. Today
  14. I had not seen the movie before and last night rented and watched 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. I can't figure out if this was a really good movie or a really bad movie . It was certainly dark and depressing but the story very well told and well acted. The movie had a fantastic cast and you never could quite figure where the story was taking you and it ended leaving the viewer with about the same feeling as No Country for Old Men did. Although I enjoyed the movie and it's one of those movies I'll probably watch again in the future I don't think I will ever need to own this one . Maybe after viewing it a second time the story will resonate better or at least not seem so depressing. Maybe though, it's supposed to be even though there's almost a semblance of something good somehow emanating or evolving from all the rest of the story's ongoing struggle for the characters to find any happiness or salvation?
  15. I know what the problem is. Vodka is much better for protein shakes.
  16. Dang good job officer, well done!
  17. Harbor Freight has a 20%off coupon effective this weekend.You can build a basic solar system pretty cheap.(got no vested interest in the company, just passing on info).Their solar panels have gotten good reviews,and their kits are affordable.
  18. Did so good with the last one. This is a teen/young adult novel. I read it in the 60s. It's taking place in the mid-fifties. Daddy is an army officer. He's been transferred to Europe for a year. He and Mama are going, but the kid is staying with Grandpa for that year. Grandpa lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere. The kid is a Boy Scout. There is only one other boy of scouting age in the general area. He talks the second kid into joining the Scouts, and they are Lone Scouts. This is for boys that wish to be Scouts but there are not enough boys around to make a troop. You take all the tests. Any adult can sign off on them. You send in your results to the district officers and they send you your patches. All of the one boy's camping equipment is Army surplus. When he takes his new friend on the first overnight, they discover a beaver pond. And someone is poaching the beaver. When they tell Grandpa about seeing the poacher, although it was dark enough they could not tell who it was, they did see that he had a revolver. This upset Grandpa. It was one thing to have a rifle or a shotgun in the woods. That was normal, for shooting animals. But a REVOLVER!!??!? The only use for one of them is to shoot people. For some reason that comment has stayed with me for 50 years or so. Aside from that stupid statement, I enjoyed the book and would like to reread it. Unfortunately I have no idea what the name of it is. Does it sound familiar to anyone?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.