SASS Wire Forum

Need advice for removing front sight

Flaco Joe

Hey pards, I have an Uberti ‘73 rifle and need to replace the front sight. Unfortunately, the old sight is stuck hard and I cannot remove it. I clamped the barrel firmly in a vice and pounded on it with a brass punch attempting to remove the sight from left to right, but with no luck. I tried a heavier hammer and large punch but the metal of the sight is starting to deform without any indication that it is moving out of the dovetail at all. It is stuck tight.

What are some suggestions on removing it? Can I safely apply some heat to the barrel? Can I safely use a solvent to loosen that may be heavy-strength Loctite? 

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks 

First, check carefully for any "set screws" or pins that might be holding the sight on.  Not common for Ubertis, but you can never tell what a smith might have done in the past.  

Probably, if the gun has been in the wet often, it's rusted in place.  I find Kroil and a heat gun is about the best technique to loosen that.  Tap that lightly during the soak to add some vibration to increase penetration, and let the Kroil work for 12 to 24 hours.   Most fastener locking liquids will also weaken up with heat gun heat. 

I would NOT get a barrel hot with a torch to the point of showing a little red heat.   Too much chance of oxidizing the rifling.

If all else fails, with a hack saw cut CAREFULLY across the sight until you get down to within a few tens of thousandths of an inch from the dovetail in the barrel.  That will release any binding pressure from the sides of the dovetail and probably let you break it free.

good luck, GJ

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

BFH :lol:

That's right, never force it!:lol:

• Haha 1

Howdy @Flaco Joe! Was telling friends in Delaware about our wonderful time in Alaska!  

@Garrison Joe, SASS #60708, thank you (again) for your instructive and informative posts! I always learn so much!

Flaco Joe - let us know what worked! Give the Alaskans hugs for me - or tell them I send hugs!

Hugs!
Scarlett 

Hiya Flaco! Good luck!

Thanks Deacon! Hope alls well in AR! 

• Like 1

Arkansas is doing great! I'm at Alabama State and today was a train wreck but on a great posse and having a blast!

I got it off. Soaking in Kroil didn’t work. It still wouldn’t budge. I used a cut off wheel to take it down near to the barrel then used a hacksaw to slowly remove metal without cutting into the barrel. When it was close, I was able to pinch it off with a pair of plier. New sight was installed and the barrel is safe.

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

There wasn’t anything under the sight that I could detect. No Loctite, glue, rust, or shims. I think it was just wedged in there really tightly. 

• Like 3