SASS Wire Forum

Light shotgun load

Lady shooter friend has run out of Clay Dot and needs another light load. My computer crashed a couple of months ago and i lost all my light load data. It looks like Clays, Clay Dot and Red Dot powder is not available right now. I know there is data for Winchester Xtra Lite and 700X. Can anyone share their load data that is close to Winchester LNLR?

If you can find Alliant Promo powder it is very similar to red dot (they tell you to use red dot data)

Winchester AA hull

12-13gr of Promo

Claybuster CB0178-12 grey wad 

7/8oz shot 

primer of choice 

My wife has been shooting these with no issues. Seem to be lighter recoil than factory LNLR rounds. Knockdowns are no problem. 

i learned an interesting thing of chedite primers - there are two available here of the three they mfgr , the boxes look the same but one is their 1000 primer that is the lighter of the two [for 20ga and 28ga ] the other r is their 2000 version that is for 12ga and 16ga 

i supose you could use either in our light loads , 

i use the 10-12 grains in 12ga and load 3/4oz shot with red dot or clays - but i think the others should be about the same as burn rates are very close 

• Thanks 1

STS or Gun Club Hull

CB0175-12 wad

13 grains of 700X

3/4 ounce shot

Winchester 209 Primer

Will work on every shotgun KD as long as you do your part.

Less felt recoil than AA LNLR

Check with Scarlett and see what her Cleanshot load is. She also has the powder available.

TM

I shoot smokeless powder instead of BP in the Spring due to my seasonal allergies.  Today I shot a match using 7/8 oz shot, CB-0178-12 wads, 15.1 grains of Extra-Lite in Remington hulls with Cheddite 209 primers.  This is also a load I use for trap.  It is comfortable for me.  Others report loading Extra-Lite down to 13 grains.  For comparison I brought a few shells I loaded with the same components and 14 grains of Perfect Pattern.  These had sharp felt recoil I found unpleasant.  BB, your lady friend would probably dislike Perfect Pattern even though there is lots of data for 7/8 oz loads.  Extra-Lite is a better option (IF she can find some).

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 2

i also use red dot or clays , im running 13 rns under 3/4oz , in a federal premium hull with wads i get from ballistic products , we dont need much for our targets and no reason to beat yourself up , 

I’m shooting titewad in AA HS hulls, 209 Cheddites, claybuster wads.  For 7/8 oz loads, I’ve experimented with loads between 13 up to 15.3 grns with no appreciable difference in patterns at 30’. 

Edited by Tall John
  • Like 1