SASS Wire Forum

Not Murder She Wrote, Angela Lansbury

main-qimg-52b079db0b4f312369bb823acd562338
surely one of the best "commissary candids" of all time, taken in 1955 during the making of The Court Jester at Paramount Pictures in Hollywood. Basil Rathbone gets ready to tuck into his lunch while wearing a dressing gown, but in movie makeup and wig. Angela Lansbury is fully costumed as Princess Gwendolyn, including an ermine stole around her arms and a crown on her head. Somehow the hamburger in her hand seems out of place!”

Author Unknown

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lunch.  Angela's obviously having the burger and fries... what's ol' Basil noshing on?  Salisbury steak and mashed turnips?  :rolleyes:

Whatever it was, he looks like he might be wishin' he'd ordered the burger too!  :lol:

• Like 3

Notice their coffee cups are almost completely full?

Coffee with burger and fries? 

In thinking about it I’m pretty sure coffee went with everything in those days. I can recall my Mom & Dad having coffee with nearly every meal. 

• Like 2

Looks like he's wearing his bathrobe!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

(Read this in the voice of Mr. Howell)

No, my good man, that is a dressing gown. 

• Haha 7

43 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The terms “dressing gown” and “bathrobe” are often used interchangeably, but there are some key differences between the two.

A dressing gown is typically a loose-fitting garment worn over clothes or nightwear for lounging around the house. It is often made from lightweight materials such as cotton or silk and may have a sash or belt to cinch it at the waist. A bathrobe, on the other hand, is designed to be worn after bathing or showering to absorb moisture from the body. Bathrobes are usually made from absorbent materials like cotton or terry cloth and may be hooded or unhooded. They are often thicker and heavier than dressing gowns and are designed to keep the wearer warm and dry after getting out of the bath or shower.

However, the terms “dressing gown” and “bathrobe” are sometimes used interchangeably, and the distinction between the two can vary depending on the region or culture. Ultimately, the difference between a dressing gown and a bathrobe is largely one of semantics, and the terms can be used interchangeably depending on the context.

How To Wear A Dressing Gown

Dressing gowns can be worn to provide privacy and modesty while getting dressed or doing other activities around the house. They are often worn over pajamas or other comfortable clothing, and can be worn during leisure activities such as reading or watching TV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In English - as opposed to in American - what we call a bathrobe is frequently referred to as a "toweling robe", because it is made of terry cloth, like a towel.

I like the way he's holding his knife. I have seen Brits hold their knife that way, occasionally, in movies. But I have never seen anyone do it in real life. He's gripping it like it's a pencil and he's going to write with the blade.

A few other photos of that.

Both look irked at whoever is talking to them.  Mr. Rathbone seems to have made good progress on his meal.  I'm wondering if it was a Traditional English Breakfast.  Notice what appears to be a plate of toast with containers of jelly near his elbow.  

bef50053a608f58661dbf0c6432c24cea7a4a8bb.jpg

Another one.  Apparently candid, note the blurring of Miss Lansbury's hand.  She seems to be studiously avoiding the cameraman. 

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/25f68a04f58ec0f9_landing

From a different movie.  She wasn't afraid to tuck it away:

7277f47568c7df28549ff85c403cc4636c7411d8.pnj

Which didn't seem to have hurt her looks.

27ab6c125028eea0123e8cff1d891d836dcd606f.jpg

edc9b5eafea84ba70834d6b871a84d70bc09f089.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In English - as opposed to in American - what we call a bathrobe is frequently referred to as a "toweling robe", because it is made of terry cloth, like a towel.

I like the way he's holding his knife. I have seen Brits hold their knife that way, occasionally, in movies. But I have never seen anyone do it in real life. He's gripping it like it's a pencil and he's going to write with the blade.

Up until Emily Post somehow codified "THE" way to do things in 1920s it was commo, and persisted into the 1940s.  He's also holding his fork "upside down." 

We used to be two-handed eaters, fork in the left hand, knife in the right.  Use the knife to push food onto the "back" of the fork to convey it to the mouth.  It was also common to use the knife as a conveyance for food.  I'm not sure, and have been unable to find, when table knives moved to the narrow blades we have today, but into the late 1800s they were wide bladed, almost like a narrow spatula with a semi-sharp edge.  I'm seeing on cooking competitions the judges more and more often using utensils in the much more reasonable IXX Century fashion rather than one handed eating that is "proper" today, which is juggling knife and fork back and forth and using only one hand to eat.  Some of that is our rejection of everything European or British.

An aside from knives - forks used to be very narrow, and two or three tined, made more for holding food to be cut than for eating.  That old short poem:
"I eat my peas with honey,

I've done it all my life.

It makes the peas taste funny,

but it keeps them on my knife"
has a lot of truth to it, and may explain the popularity of creamed vegetables, the thick sauce making it easier to eat them with your table knife.

Table knives in the style of the mid-1800s.  

image.jpeg.403b94c1b94577a3dd5290b0da4c270f.jpeg

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A few other photos of that.

Both look irked at whoever is talking to them.  Mr. Rathbone seems to have made good progress on his meal.  I'm wondering if it was a Traditional English Breakfast.  Notice what appears to be a plate of toast with containers of jelly near his elbow.  

bef50053a608f58661dbf0c6432c24cea7a4a8bb.jpg

Another one.  Apparently candid, note the blurring of Miss Lansbury's hand.  She seems to be studiously avoiding the cameraman. 

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/25f68a04f58ec0f9_landing

From a different movie.  She wasn't afraid to tuck it away:

7277f47568c7df28549ff85c403cc4636c7411d8.pnj

Which didn't seem to have hurt her looks.

27ab6c125028eea0123e8cff1d891d836dcd606f.jpg

edc9b5eafea84ba70834d6b871a84d70bc09f089.jpg

What a babe!:wub:

• Like 2

she was in a movie that i cant recall the name of when young with an up and coming actor that i think was montgomery cliff[ [ i, think he had an accident that ended his carrier] she looked fairly good , i think she was his wife but a the least his pregnant  girlfriend , he killed her in a boat to win over the the star - i think it was vivean lea or else it was elizabeth taylor , either way a sad story