SASS Wire Forum

Any Thoughts on Henry H010BG .45-70?

Howdy!  

Well now that my trapdoor sold I have the funds for a .45-70 lever gun. I do like the looks of the Henry H010BG....Being a metallurgist I am not at all "concerned" by the "brass" receiver..(It's not just "brass") as far as strength goes... But I do like the looks of it especially with the  octagonal barrel. What can I say?? I am a bit of a magpie at times..  Any thoughts/opinions?  

Thank ya all kindly..

Iron Monger Jimmy

SASS#5115

Personally, I think they're uglier than sin.  The one's I've handled seem clunky and ill-balanced.  The loading system might be convenient, but reminds me of a child's .22.  I'm not enamored of the Marlin either, I've seen far too many ruined by either neglectful or over-zealous reloaders... It, like the Henry are not the strongest of actions...  IMO, if you're dead set on a lever action 45-70, either a smokeless era steel Winchester 1886, or the Miroku made Browning is the way to go.  I'm not fond of the lawyer driven rebounding hammer safety of the Winchester marked Mirokus either.  If I were adding a 45-70 into my stable, it'd be a 1885 from any number of makers, or a C. Sharps, or Shiloh, possibly even a modern rolling block.   I already have a Browning 1886 in .45-70.  The two Miroku 1885s I have are well built and well behaved rifles.  (Read that to mean well balanced and accurate).  

You asked for opinions.  That is the "G" rated version... Sailors can add their own favorite expletive where appropriate.

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

I like the Cimarron 1886. It is a faithful copy of the original. 

The Henry action in 45-70, or 30-30, or 45LC, or 44mag, or 357mag, etc. is just a copy of the modern Marlin 336/1895.  "Brass" frame or steel frame, it's just a copy of a Marlin action.  An older JM Marlin 1895 in 45-70, especially the 26" octagon barrel model, before Remington took over production, or a Browning 1886 made in the 1990's is a far superior firearm.  Yes, you will pay more for a used one of these than maybe a new Henry, but you will be getting a much better rifle.

Posted (edited)

Howdy!!  I am reading your replies and pondering them over..  Seems that the Henry doesn't have that many fans out there..Interesting...

As far as ruined rifles..I have seen way too many that had "problems" due to improper loads..several of which were catastrophic failures. Thankfully no one was seriously injured.. Still you have to be aware of limits as far as PSI and  other factors or else you could wind up loosing fingers, an eye or worse...  I don't "hot rod" any of my loadings...I go for accuracy and groupings  not velocity for velocity's sake...

Still pondering this...

Iron Monger Jimmy

SASS#5115

Edited by Iron Monger Jimmy

Iron Monger 

You did not mention your intended use for a 45-70 lever gun. If you are looking for a easy handling 45-70 camp gun then a 1895 Guide Gun could fill that nitch. I have one in 45-70 and one in 450 Marlin. Both shoot well with 300 or 350 grain bullets and can be brutal with heavier bullets at full velocity. I also have an 1880s manufactured Winchester 86 rifle with 24 octagon barrel. It’s a bit on the heavy side and handles the 45-70 with ease. It also looks every bit a Cowboy rifle. I would have a hard time choosing between a new Winchester or Browning 86. It would come down to features.

Hello once again!!

I am looking for something to punch paper, ring a few targets and take down pigs on occasion (we are getting "problems" with them here in Florida now..them and those pythons) I have to admit I do like the looks of that gun metal receiver.. For anything bigger than a hog I can always go to my .45-120 or my .338 Win Mag.. If I ever need anything bigger than those I have my double rifle in 12 bore...(that one HURTS to shoot). 

The Henry looks like a fun one to shoot though...

Iron Monger Jimmy

SASS#5115

I absolutely love mine ! 

20230804_211245.jpg

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

I looked at the Henry in 45-70 not to long ago when I was searching for that caliber rifle. I also looked at Winchester,Marlin, and Italian clones. In my opinion the Pedrsolli was by far the nicest of the bunch. But their price point was outside my target. I settled on a Marlin 1895 and am pleased with it. When I looked at the Henry I noticed that it had a lever that rode up between the hammer and firing pin as the trigger was pulled. Some kind of safety device that added to the firing mechanism. That turned me away from the Henry. 

The only gun that Henry makes that I like is the original style Henry rifle, but the price point is too high. I do have an original 1886 and a Cimarron 1886 in 45/70 and they are nice guns.

Horace