SASS Wire Forum

What do I need to buy from Wolff ?

I am going to attempt to add spring kits to my Ruger Vaquero Bisleys.  They are the New Vaquero and are chambered in 45 colt.  What would I need to buy from Wolff to make these better.  I am an occasional shooter with plans on shooting more often when I retire.

I see they have shooters kits.  Is this sufficient or is there more I need? 
also what power reduced spring do most of you use?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Skinny.   (Not so much any more) 

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

Edited by Skinny snake eyes pickins

A lot will depend on the primers that you are using. Federal primers are softer and require less force so the 30-19 should be fine, if you are using  winchester or cci primers I would go 40/19. Especially if you are an occasional shooter. You can always change springs later. Most shooters have fiddled with spring pressures.

Rafe 

42 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

A lot will depend on the primers that you are using. Federal primers are softer and require less force so the 30-19 should be fine, if you are using  winchester or cci primers I would go 40/19. Especially if you are an occasional shooter. You can always change springs later. Most shooters have fiddled with spring pressures.

Rafe 

I may be wrong but the only difference in those 2 kits is the trigger return spring which will make no difference in the hammer force.

Randy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Skinny snake eyes pickins said:

I am going to attempt to add spring kits to my Ruger Vaquero Bisleys.  They are the New Vaquero and are chambered in 45 colt.  What would I need to buy from Wolff to make these better.  I am an occasional shooter with plans on shooting more often when I retire.

I see they have shooters kits.  Is this sufficient or is there more I need? 
also what power reduced spring do most of you use?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Skinny.   (Not so much any more) 

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

It would depend on what trigger pull you want? I shoot duelist and like a little heavier trigger pull than when I shot 2-handed. I would get the 40/17 (I shoot Federal primers), if I was shooting 2-handed I would get the 30/17.

Randy

you didn't say how new your guns are.  As you shoot them, they will get smoother--may take a while but they will.  

Action jobs just use files and stones to do the smoothing quicker.

back to your OP:  I got two of each as I wanted to see what MY pistols would feel like.  In the Grand Scheme of Things they don't cost that much

• Like 1

If you want to speak with the "Horse's Mouth", you can call Power Custom @ (573) 372-5684 and Randall will talk you through what exactly you need.

It may take a bit for him to get back with you, but he's a great guy and has all the Ruger go fasties.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2024 at 12:47 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

If you want to speak with the "Horse's Mouth", you can call Power Custom @ (573) 372-5684 and Randall will talk you through what exactly you need.

It may take a bit for him to get back with you, but he's a great guy and has all the Ruger go fasties.

Thanks Rainmaker

Thanks to everyone for all the info.   Very helpful.  I like federal primers but I do have CCI as well.  There for a while it was hard to get anything.  Guns are new Bisleys.  

• Like 1

Skinny snake eyes pickins, I recently changed out the springs on a new set of SASS vaqueros.  Previously on other Rugers, I went with Wolff springs.  This time I went to Longhunters (listed on the SASS Merchants page) and bought two sets from him.  The reason I went with Longhunter's springs is I like the 15 or 17 lb. hammer springs as I shoot duelist.  The package Longhunter sells has both 15 and 17 lb. hammer springs, the 30 and 40 oz. trigger springs and the heavier base pin spring for around $13.00.  I had another set of NM Vaqueros set up with a 15 lb and 40 oz spring set and I've shot a lot of CCI and Federal primers.  All of them have gone bang. Good luck.

Buckeye Pete

• Like 1

i have bought a lot of stuff including a shipping box for my kentucky long rifle , everything has been satisfactory or excellent - ill be buying from them again 

I'm changing back from Long Hunter spring kits to the 20# mainspring and keeping the the 30oz trigger springs. I pulled my guns and ammunition out after a long hiatus and found quite a lot of light strikes. Stock hammers and SBH both failed to ignite reliably on CCI primers. The 20# spring set off the light strikes first try every time. The lighter springs would not set off the light struck rounds even after multiple tries. The older I get the more I favor reliability over a softer feel. Those light hammers are great and fast right up until the light strike.