SASS Wire Forum

Streamliner

1940 Packard Royal Streamliner.

So you thought Jay Leno's Tank Car aka Blastolene Special was big and brutal? Think again, because Rodney Rucker just took it a step further with the 1940 Packard Royal Streamliner.

The Packard Royal Streamliner is a vehicle that has undergone extraordinary customization process. How not, the car is supported by a powerful engine taken from a patrol motor torpedo boat. And reportedly, the boat was used in World War II. The Packard Royal Streamliner powered by an insane V12 engine 1,600 horsepower and 3,000 ft-lb of torque. As a boat engine it turns opposite to land engines so the car has two transmissions and drivelines to get the correct rotation for street use. The other challenge with a boat motor is….. cooling. No longer having an ocean of coolant available the car was designed with 4 radiators and six cooling fans. See the shape, the vehicle is fairly long, which is 9.75 meters. The shape resembles a rocket ready for speed. This car is wrapped with a aluminium, chrome and brass mix.

FB_IMG_1712182845833.jpg

35 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Seems to me you could just turn the axle over ( right wheel to left side ) and that would work. Am I wrong?

Yep that would reverse the direction but might cause other problems.

That’s kinda’ wild!

HOWSOMEVER!! Only certain marine engines turn in reversed rotation!! Usually, the reverse rotation engines are paired with engines with normal rotation in boats that use dual engines! (By the way, the old Volkswagen Beetle engines turn backward too!)

The major changes needed to make the average automotive engine run backward are a camshaft ground to the proper specifications and or timing chain or timing gear set, an oil pump designed to provide correct oil circulation, and a coolant pump to provide proper circulation.

And YES!!!  This might be an exercise in “let’s see if we can make this work”, but the fun factor makes it worth the effort!!

• Thanks 1

Maybe I’m the only one, but I think it’s pretty cool from both a technical and visual perspective.  

Not practical in any way, shape, or form. 

But a damn cool piece of artistic machinery.

Edited by Charlie Harley, #14153
  • Thanks 2