SASS Wire Forum

What is this 45 Colt brass?

Today while reloading I found a weird piece of brass. Looks like it has a smaller primer pocket. What is it(one on the left)?

image.thumb.jpeg.422569132b9968df8cbcd596190d4510.jpeg

Edited by Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463
Add photo

Hey Chili...you should be able to google cartridge headstamps to find the manufacturer. There are small primer cases starting to show up in all kinds of traditionally large primer rounds. Supposed to be something about some states ban on lead and some indoor ranges not wanting ammo with lead in the priming compound

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Griff said:

I read on another forum that it was HSM Cowboy loads.  From 2022:  https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/35088/45-colt-small-primer

That makes sense of how I got it mixed in with my brass. We have a new shooter that’s been using HSM ammo. 

19 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Today while reloading I found a weird piece of brass. Looks like it has a smaller primer pocket. What is it(one on the left)?

image.thumb.jpeg.422569132b9968df8cbcd596190d4510.jpeg

Found one of these after the last match. Small primer 45 Colt, same headstamp. Got me scratching me head too.

• Like 1