SASS Wire Forum

Do you suppose they would do this?

Alpo

Now?

On another board they were talking about Green targets. Stuff you can shoot and just leave it there, and it would either biodegrade or get eaten. Neko wafers was mentioned. One guy said he taped cookies to a sheet of cardboard. Just had to take back the cardboard. One guy said he shot icicles, so that was obviously somewhere that wasn't Florida.

And then one guy suggested going to the produce manager of the grocery store and asking for fruits and vegetables that were being thrown out because they were spoiled.

Back in the '50s or '60s, the store would probably give them to you. Nowadays? I think they would be more inclined to believe that you were going to eat them yourself, or take them down to the homeless encampment, and "if someone is going to eat it then they need to pay for it!!"

I doubt they would give them to you nowadays.

What y'all think?

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I doubt they would give them to you nowadays.

What y'all think?

Nowadays the stores give the stuff that's "day old" or other unsellables to "charities" for the tax write off.

When I was still working, part of what I did was delivering tanks of Balloon Helium to grocery stores. Most of the time there were vans of people from one church or another loading up these products to take to feed the "less fortunate" or homeless shelters or some other food giveaway outfit. Occasionally I'd ask the Receiving Clerk if I could "steal" a doughnut from to pile and was ALWAYS told some version of NONBFN.

That sounds like what I said about "if somebody's going to eat it they need to pay for it".

Since they would donate it to charity and take it off their taxes, in this case it was the government that was paying for it.

We used to have - they might still be around I just haven't shopped there lately - what me and my mother called the "used bread store". The route salesman would take the bread out of the grocery stores, because it was the fast approaching its "use by date", and bring it to one of these stores where it would be sold for half price.

I was there one time where a man was filling up the back of his truck with loaves of bread and snack cakes, and I asked the clerk what was going on. This stuff had gone past the "use by date", so they couldn't sell it. And they gave it to this guy. He was a pig farmer. He would come by once a week and load up on out-of-date baked goods.

And I recall reading many years back, somewhere up north, bear hunters were getting out of date baked goods and baiting bears with them.

Local Publix has really good chicken tenders and fried chicken.  If it stays under the warming lights for more than 3 hours, it goes into the trash....I asked why they could not just donate it to the Good News shelter, and was told for liability purposes it had to be destroyed.  If someone were to claim illness, the store would be liable.    What a waste........

i got no problem with the store taking any tax deduction they can for providing edible materials to charity that they can no longer sell , they pay a lot of taxes - just like we do , 

2 minutes ago, Gracos Kid said:

Local Publix has really good chicken tenders and fried chicken.  If it stays under the warming lights for more than 3 hours, it goes into the trash....I asked why they could not just donate it to the Good News shelter, and was told for liability purposes it had to be destroyed.  If someone were to claim illness, the store would be liable.    What a waste........

I asked the manager of a local WInn Dixie why they threw away (what looked like) perfectly good produce and bread instead of donating it or giving it away. He told me the same thing. When working on electrical items located at the rear of strip stores that have a grocery store as an anchor, I would regularly see people "dumpster diving" for thrown away food. One of them told me that the "regulars" knew when they threw the "good" stuff away. Sad but true.

56 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i got no problem with the store taking any tax deduction they can for providing edible materials to charity that they can no longer sell , they pay a lot of taxes - just like we do , 

I got no problem with it, just answering Alpo's question.

Gee... welcome to california.  We have SB 1383, expected to increase our garbage collection by up to a hundred bucks a month by next year.  :(

An Overview of CA SB-1383

California is a leader in putting a focus on food recovery. CA SB-1383 is a state-mandated effort to reduce organic waste in California landfills by 75%, and to increase excess edible food recovery by 20% by 2025. The bill’s goal is to address greenhouse gas emissions, primarily methane gasses, while focusing on food insecurity throughout California.  After all, food waste is the second largest contributor of organic matter in California landfills. This bill requires the re-direction of organic waste, specifically excess edible food, with Food Generators having to donate their excess edible food, rather than throw it away.

They're nuts.  Just plumb nuts.  :wacko:

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2024 at 1:18 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Nowadays the stores give the stuff that's "day old" or other unsellables to "charities" for the tax write off.

When I was still working, part of what I did was delivering tanks of Balloon Helium to grocery stores. Most of the time there were vans of people from one church or another loading up these products to take to feed the "less fortunate" or homeless shelters or some other food giveaway outfit. Occasionally I'd ask the Receiving Clerk if I could "steal" a doughnut from to pile and was ALWAYS told some version of NONBFN.

"NONBFN"?

23 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I got no problem with it, just answering Alpo's question.

i guess i was as well , i just added to it related to someone elses response , it seems a waste that good foor gets thrown out because regulations say iit can no longer be sold , im glad to see it go to someone that needs it and doesnt care its day old , 

• Like 1