SASS Wire Forum

This is frustrating

Alpo

I have not watched television in many years. I realized that I was paying something like $150 a month to the cable people to watch Turner classic movies and NCIS. And I already had most of the movies the TCM was playing. So I turned off the cable.

The last several years I have gotten by with a DVD player attached to my television set.

A month or so ago I finally broke down and bought a digital television antenna. Now I occasionally watch television.

And I find that I have been spoiled. First, most of the videos that I watch have closed captioning. I have reached to that time in my life when old age, accompanied by firearms rock and roll and airplane engines have made it difficult to hear. Being able to read the subtitles while they are talking is a nice thing.

But the other thing that has spoiled me. The pause button. If I have to go to the bathroom, I pause the video. If I wish to go get another cup of coffee, I pause the video. If I want to think about what they just did on the show, I pause the video.

You can't pause the damn television show.

I was watching Star Trek tonight. And there is a dog barking. I can't decide if the dog is part of the show, or if it is mine. If it is mine I need to let her in because it's 11:00 and she doesn't need to be barking. So I pick up the remote and I hit the pause button four or five times but the damn thing doesn't pause.

And then I realize that I'm not watching a video, I'm watching a television show.

Again I am forced to quote the round headed kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Those antennae work?

For some they work fine! :P

image.png.5c6e5daf40b2bc694b946e2ecad39312.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Those antennae work?

Sometimes.

I've got NBC and CBS. ION, COZI, ME-TV, and GET. A couple of PBS channels, something called jewelry television, three all black channels (shows how long it's been - I thought the only one of them was BET) and another half dozen or so that I don't know what they are because most of the time they're pixelated. In the month or so since I have started watching television again, I find that the only thing I watch with consistency is ME TV.

I do miss analog TV. When I was a kid we used to watch channel 4 out of Dothan. It was far away, and it was fuzzy, but you can still make out what was going on. Usually. But with digital tv, if it is not a perfect signal, it pixelates and stops. It might pick up again 3 seconds later, but that 3 seconds is gone. If it had been analog you might could have seen what was going on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sometimes.

I've got NBC and CBS. ION, COZI, ME-TV, and GET. A couple of PBS channels, something called jewelry television, three all black channels (shows how long it's been - I thought the only one of them was BET) and another half dozen or so that I don't know what they are because most of the time they're pixelated. In the month or so since I have started watching television again, I find that the only thing I watch with consistency is ME TV.

I do miss analog TV. When I was a kid we used to watch channel 4 out of Dothan. It was far away, and it was fuzzy, but you can still make out what was going on. Usually. But with digital tv, if it is not a perfect signal, it pixelates and stops. It might pick up again 3 seconds later, but that 3 seconds is gone. If it had been analog you might could have seen what was going on.

Tanks.

I gave up on cable TV 14 years ago. Often getting internet comes with having to have the cable as well. 
At first I used my PlayStation 3 to watch Netflix and another internet based channel I cannot remember now. . I started doing this in 2010. The PS3 also plays DVDs. 
In 2014 I discovered Amazon Prime video and used my PS3 to watch that along with Netflix and DVDs. 
When we moved to WV in July ‘22 I bought a Samsung smart TV. The PS3 sits all alone and unused now unless I wasn’t yo watch DVDs. 
Since I have internet WiFi I do not need cable if I want to watch local channels or Samsung channels. The TV is set up to show broadcast TV. I have watch exactly 2 hours of broadcast TV in the past 11 years. 
I refuse to watch it. But, if I want to, I can on my smart TV with no problems. 
It’s there if I need it. 

Regarding Digital antennas. I bought one in 2013. I still have it, just in case. In Oregon it would only bring in a couple of channels. I haven’t tried it here, but they do work if you have a strong signal in your area. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that now I have Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Paramount+. I tried PBS Masterpiece through Amazon, but all they have is British TV shows. I canceled during the free subscription. 

Edited by Pat Riot

46 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Is it just me, or do some of you guys also think that most British TV shows look like they were done in a high school gym with the students painting the sets?

There used to be a variety of rules English TV Producers had to follow.  How many actors could be in a scene, and probably other things as well.  Going on memory and could not find anything with a quick search.  Might be another part of the issues you mention.

29 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

There used to be a variety of rules English TV Producers had to follow.  How many actors could be in a scene, and probably other things as well.  Going on memory and could not find anything with a quick search.  Might be another part of the issues you mention.

I don't think that rules have anything to do with it. It's that the sets look like they're painted plywood pieces with rummage sale furniture in them, and the actors seem like none of them have ever seen the full script or that they never rehearsed their lines or actions. It's like Mr. Bill but with real people.

• Like 1

We get everything free. Not really.  Youtube,  Tobi, have commercials. Kanopy through the library has no commercials but you can only watch so many movies a month.  We have a big DVD collection from the $5 bin in Wally-World or sometimes Ebay if it's rare. We never watch network TV. 

You think that's frustrating.  Just brought home a new PC, monitor and some software.  New to me Windows 11 operating system.  Lots of overlord gooey interface technology that throws crap at you it thinks you need to know. Bing. Things look work different.  I've been working with it a week with marginal success.  Got the home screen picture changed.  Got YouTube,  Gmail, etc up and going.  I've worked off and on trying to get Bluetooth working.  Brings up my android phone and tablet and says paired on all three devices.  But won't connect or actually work. May be some firewall issues.  It's beautiful and fast.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Is it just me, or do some of you guys also think that most British TV shows look like they were done in a high school gym with the students painting the sets?

On some of the older shows, but I have noticed hospital scenes with a bed and an IV drip and nothing else. Also, everyone seems to use the same single handgun. They must just pass it around for each scene. 

Another thing that’s funny is the bad guys always have the coolest cars, but all in black. The cops have crappy Japanese cars or Opels. 

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Those antennae work?

not for me - im too far out from the twin cities , no local transmitters 

so im stearing them on my computer and feeding my TV with that HDMI cable 

Edited by watab kid