SASS Wire Forum

DA VS. SA

Alpo

I wonder if someone that was trained on double action pistols - if they could figure it out if in a moment of panic and need they came across a single action.

NCIS. Long about season 11 Gibbs started carrying a 1911. He said it was his father's gun, and it was the pistol he learned to shoot with.

In a flashback episode they shows Leon when he first got mixed up with this. He had a Beretta 92. Well, it was probably an M9, since it was military, but still. And since that time he has undoubtedly been shooting a SIG, since I believe that is what they are armed with.

Then this one episode where the bad guy has Gibbs up on the roof - remember the squad room has got this big skylight - and the only gun available to Leon down in the squad room is Gibbs' 1911. And he shot the bad guy through the skylight with Gibbs' gun.

That got me idly wondering how Leon knew it had to be cocked first.

Then I got to thinking about cops from the '70s. They had double action revolvers. Remember McCloud? New Mexico deputy Marshal that for some reason I don't recall was working with the NYPD. And he carried his Single Action Army. So if one of his cop buddies was in trouble, and desperately needed a gun, and Sam's Colt was the only gun available, you suppose he'd be able to figure out how it worked?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I wonder if someone that was trained on double action pistols - if they could figure it out if in a moment of panic and need they came across a single action.

NCIS. Long about season 11 Gibbs started carrying a 1911. He said it was his father's gun, and it was the pistol he learned to shoot with.

In a flashback episode they shows Leon when he first got mixed up with this. He had a Beretta 92. Well, it was probably an M9, since it was military, but still. And since that time he has undoubtedly been shooting a SIG, since I believe that is what they are armed with.

Then this one episode where the bad guy has Gibbs up on the roof - remember the squad room has got this big skylight - and the only gun available to Leon down in the squad room is Gibbs' 1911. And he shot the bad guy through the skylight with Gibbs' gun.

Then I got to thinking about cops from the '70s. They had double action revolvers. Remember McCloud? New Mexico deputy Marshal that for some reason I don't recall was working with the NYPD. And he carried his Single Action Army. So if one of his cop buddies was in trouble, and desperately needed a gun, and Sam's Colt was the only gun available, you suppose he'd be able to figure out how it worked?

For starters, Vance is a smart guy,

Second, Gibbs is familiar enough with the 1911 to carry in Condition 1. (They might not show it on the show, but if GIbbs were a real guy, he would). All Vance would have to do is flip the Thumb Safety down to fire it. He's probably trained enough with both the M9 and the SIG to know to do that.

Third, they probably spent some time at the Range together, and Gibbs almost certainly let Vance try the 1911.  

Finally, the Government being what it is, Gibbs would have had to get authorization to carry a non-standard weapon on Duty, and it would have had to have come from Vance. Gibbs would have had to demonstrate to Vance that he was proficient with it, and again, Vance would have been shown how it works. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Remember McCloud? New Mexico deputy Marshal that for some reason I don't recall was working with the NYPD.

Sure you're not thinking about Coogan's Bluff ?

yes , i remember mccloud - IIRC he carried a SAA 

i shoot DA , i shoot SA , i shot SA , ill figure it out in the moment - most of my DAs are also SAs - i only have one that is not , its an albion made enfield no2 revolver mkI** in 380 [38S&W ] that one has no hakker thumb pull , 

Edited by watab kid

13 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

Sure you're not thinking about Coogan's Bluff ?

Nope. Dennis Weaver left "Gunsmoke" to play "McCloud". I think it was grouped with several other shows that rotated weekly with a two hour episode once a month with "Colombo", "McMillan and Wife", and something else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Would you?

Doesn't apply to me. I learned to shoot a Ruger Single Six two years before I shot a double action revolver. I bought a Ruger Mark I Bull Barrel in 1979 and a Gold Cup in 1980, and it was 1997 before I bought a double action automatic - a PPK.

So I learned on a single action in both types. If I was in a problem, and the only gun that was available was a double action, I'd just haul the hammer back and let her fly.

It's usually not a problem to use the more complicated gun. Using the simpler gun, when you never learned how - well, that's a different story.

It's like a guy that's never driven anything but a stick. He can probably get an automatic down the road. But if all he's ever driven is an automatic, I don't think he's going to get that standard out of the yard.

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Nope. Dennis Weaver left "Gunsmoke" to play "McCloud". I think it was grouped with several other shows that rotated weekly with a two hour episode once a month with "Colombo", "McMillan and Wife", and something else.

I remember "McCloud" quite well.

Always tickled me that he pronounced his supposedly home town's name incorrectly- Tay-oss.

Especially funny, knowing that Dennis Weaver lived many years in the nearby city of Santa Fe.

I guess it was " poetic license " by the show's writers.

Choctaw

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I remember "McCloud" quite well.

Always tickled me that he pronounced his supposedly home town's name incorrectly- Tay-oss.

Especially funny, knowing that Dennis Weaver lived many years in the nearby city of Santa Fe.

I guess it was " poetic license " by the show's writers.

Choctaw

It might have been something else, too. When "Medium" was on, it took place in Mariposa County Arizona, of which there isn't one. For a reason I don't recall, they specifically didn't properly name it Maricopa County, where she really lived and worked.