SASS Wire Forum

Primer Info (Update)

Fallon Kid

Yesterday I posted about Genix and Fiocchi primers and reported no incidents reloading. Well…….may have been hasty pursuant to Genix sml pistol primers. I loaded 800 38spl with 400 primers using Fiochhi and 400 rounds with Genix primers. This AM I found many Genix primers not seated all the way. Some were ‘high primers and some were elevated enough to cause drag in revolver. It was enough concern I had to check/reseat all 400 rounds of Genix primers with hand primer.  The first 400 rounds were loaded using Fiocchi and had zero problem seating. When  I switched to Genix primers, I changed nothing on my RL1050. I did use new brass when I started using Genix so the primer pocket is not an issue. Raises enough concern with me to hold off using Genix until I can find out what is going on. I’m not a shill for anyone and just providing my unbiased experience.

UPDATE to the UPDATE:

I just went back and checked everything on my loader (rl1050) and cranked the primer adjustment allen a full turn to increase seating depth and ran 50 rounds of Genix (38spl) with no primer seating problem. I guess the lesson for me is when switching primer brand, always check depth and do not assume all primers work the same. I don’t have a wife, but if I did she should have caught this. Maybe I should retire from SASS and take up building model cars. I’m finding I will NEVER learn all there is to know.

Will continue to use Genix primers but the jury still out when using my Hornady LNL as there is no way I know to increase seating depth as it is fixed as part of the primer seating plunger assembly. So heads up to LNL users.

Edited by Fallon Kid
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

This has been the only complaint about the ginex primers and it isn't anything new, was discussed here at least 2 years ago.  They seat harder than other primers and every once in a while you get a high one.  I just seat them again and shoot them.  I use them for practice in my pistols, my rifle won't set them off.  I just ran out of the last 5k I had.  Going to the Tulsa gun show in a couple of weeks and hoping to find them there at a decent price to save on shipping and hazmat.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I have had the same problem using Remington sp primers on a 550. Runs about 10% of them are high.

kR

Me too in a lee turret, even hand priming was a pain! Old Winchester 9mm brass.

I used a RCBS hand primer to prime a pards .38 Spl. and .357 brass with small Ginex primers.

We loaded some of them with CFE Pistol and others with Titegroup.

All charges were above Minimum and below Maximum.

The .38 Spl. were used in unaltered Rugers and the .357s were used in an unaltered Rossi 92.

Good hits could be seen on all the primers.

In cold weather (We're in Canada) he got inconsistent ignition and a lot of squibs and unburned powder in his guns.

Other primer makes did not have the problem using the same powders and charges.

I'll try the Ginex primers this summer, when temperatures are above 60 F and see how it goes.

• Thanks 4

On 3/21/2024 at 6:08 PM, Fallon Kid said:

Yesterday I posted about Genix and Fiocchi primers and reported no incidents reloading. Well…….may have been hasty pursuant to Genix sml pistol primers. I loaded 800 38spl with 400 primers using Fiochhi and 400 rounds with Genix primers. This AM I found many Genix primers not seated all the way. Some were ‘high primers and some were elevated enough to cause drag in revolver. It was enough concern I had to check/reseat all 400 rounds of Genix primers with hand primer.  The first 400 rounds were loaded using Fiocchi and had zero problem seating. When  I switched to Genix primers, I changed nothing on my RL1050. I did use new brass when I started using Genix so the primer pocket is not an issue. 

UPDATE to the UPDATE:

I just went back and checked everything on my loader (rl1050) and cranked the primer adjustment allen a full turn to increase seating depth and ran 50 rounds of Genix (38spl) with no primer seating problem. I guess the lesson for me is when switching primer brand, always check depth and do not assume all primers work the same. I don’t have a wife, but if I did she should have caught this. Maybe I should retire from SASS and take up building model cars. I’m finding I will NEVER learn all there is to know.

Will continue to use Genix primers but the jury still out when using my Hornady LNL as there is no way I know to increase seating depth as it is fixed as part of the primer seating plunger assembly. So heads up to LNL users.

@Tucker T Fudpucker this is exactly what you were experiencing! Hope you got it fixed! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

PS @Fallon Kid, thanks!

• Like 1