SASS Wire Forum

SASS and the 4H

This weekend I worked a cowboy booth for our club at a gun show here in VT, we do this every year to try and gain new members and spread the news about cowboy action shooting. As I was walking the isles I noticed the local 4H club had a display showing their shooting programs, I stopped to check it out and they explained to me how they had a program where the kids researched historical western figures, dressed up in period costumes, picked an alias and fired period firearms (sound familiar) I asked them if they were just yanking my chain because I was dressed in a cowboy hat and six guns but they were not. They have a fantastic student work book on the guns and clothing the students actually fill out for the course and an even better full color history book. I was told both books are available from the Montana 4H. Has any one here at SASS ever had anything to do with this program ? It’s been in effect app 5 years or so and it seems like a REALLY great chance for SASS clubs to get some new shooter started in our game. From the look of the history book and the student hand book someone has put a lot into this project and it seems like a win/win for both of our groups

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My g'niece in in 4H, I will ask her if she has heard anything about this.

I’ve known about 4-H Shooting Program for years.  But this is new!   

Was a 4H leader for the Western Heritage program on the west slope for three years. My cousin (Dominguez Red) was the senior instructor. Oak Creek Martin was the senior instructor for the eastern slope Western Heritage program for three or four years as well. Sadly due to the politics of guns the program faded away. Here it is pretty much gone, don’t know on the east side but haven’t heard much for quite a while. 
Great program, the kids had fun, very challenging. Some aspects were tougher than CAS (farther targets, no draw from the holster, no pistols (used a second rifle) below a certain age (don’t remember whether it was 10 or 12). I can look and see if I still have my books somewhere if you like. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 4

we have 4-H shoot at our range , they are really great kids shooting shotguns , BB guns and bow & arrow , some are quite accomplished but never heard of this here , 

Here is the guide book for the Montana 4H shooting program that served as the foundation for the Western Heritage program. It was published in 2011 so most likely that was the original group. I stopped my involvement after the 2019 season due to health issues, but the program continued for a while longer. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

pretty cool and historical sections through ouimage.thumb.jpg.20dce73fad62029f96ebda6966e9d71b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.e1b0968a5899e02ce4c7badd0774137b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a link to the Montana state western heritage website. The program was started in Montana as a option for 4-H kids who had been in shooting sports for years and we’re losing interest in shooting sports because they had done the same disciplines year after year after year. The program was adapted from the rules from SASS. It was modified to allow the kids to shoot without Holster pistols or moving with long guns. All of the firearms are loaded and staged, and then shot from the position that they are staged at. It is an amazing project  That has truly helped spread an interest in western American history i.e. the great westward expansion. All of the information needed to start the program was gladly supplied by SASS for the cowboy action  shooting portion of the project. When you go to the website, you will see the book that Gateway Kid was referring to. It is an amazing display of western American history. I would encourage every SASS member to purchase this book  For their collection, there is a tremendous amount of history and very detailed professional photographs in this book. It also helps support the Western Heritage project when it is purchased. If you have any more specific questions, please, PM me, I would be more than happy to help you out. Oak Creek Martin  http://www.4-hwesternheritageproject.org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am in contact with them right now, might get something going around here. I will definitely be asking for your advice if this comes to fruition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Blackhorse shootists in Great Falls Mt has hosted the Montana Western Heritage 4-H state championship shoot twice in the last eight years at our range.

Another club 45 miles away, the Sun River Rangers has had the 4-H program shooting on their range since around 2007

I was there as well with Oakridge. It quite fun to chat with the Lady and the 2 young uns! The young men were pretty excited about the Western Heritage program. I'm looking forward to them joining us at a match this summer.