SASS Wire Forum

Bobby Tyler TALO Ruger Vaquero - Gunfighter Grips?

Buckshot Bear

52 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Ruger factory "thin" or Ruger's version of gunfighter grips.  Much thinner than standard factory grips.

My wife has these aftermarket 'pearl' look grips below on her Vaqueros and they are heaps wider (but they aren't of course Ruger) I shot another pards Ruger a few weeks ago and his Ruger grips were wide as well, mine now feel REALLY thin.

I always liked my grips, but now I'm thinking of replacing them.

SNY01951copy.thumb.jpg.b7304856b2fc6ebae12ae7255d2a7ddf.jpg

BB, I also have a pair (non-sequential) of the Bobby Tyler TALO NMV limited editions and one factory grip set was walnut and the other was the laminated rosewood. I thought the factory grips seemed thin, and I wanted both guns to match. I bought two unfinished pairs of walnut from LS Grips and finished myself. They feel much better in my hands. BT did beautiful work on the CCH. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I have two of these limited TALO edition Vaqueros.

The grips feel pretty slim to me, are they just normal Ruger grips or are they gunfighter grips? 

If I remember correctly, Ruger contracted with Eagle Grips for Smooth Gunfighter Grips with the Ruger Medallion for the Talo edition.   Most other times, the grips are made by Altamont, have a wider profile, and widen at the base.   Occasionally, Ruger uses slim plastic grips on some of their models, that have a narrow profile.

• Thanks 1

If you decide to replace them I can highly recommend the new Eagle gunfighter grips with the reactive checkering.  I am really impressed by how they stick in my hand.

20240123_171500.jpg

• Like 2

If Eagle would come out with an extended grip (like the Texas Grip) with the reactive checkering they would have a big winner.  Great for duelist and people with big hands.

i pulled mine out and checked them they are near identical to the ones you show , they have the same thin area and look alot like what you have so i doubt they will be an improvement to what yours came with , 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hawkeye Kid said:

If Eagle would come out with an extended grip (like the Texas Grip) with the reactive checkering they would have a big winner.  Great for duelist and people with big hands.

Hawkeye kid, your prayers have been answered.  Deuce Steven's dropped a video a couple of hours ago with just such a product, new from Eagle grips!

If Raj had introduced these last fall, it would have saved me from spending $2k on a pair of slicked RNMV bisleys that I purchased.  Oh well.....  I guess two pairs are always better than one!