SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Shotguns

blackjackmark

Howdy! Sorry to post this here but I can't seem to log into the WB forum and I figure a lot of people shoot both. Now that the rules have changed, I wanted to try WB and have the guns I need with the EXCEPTION of the shotgun. The rules seem to state a shotgun from that era works and I was wondering if anyone here knows if I could use a Rock Island trench gun or a Mossberg 590 retro?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Blackjack Mark

rock-island-armory-t1897-walnut-12-gauge-3in-pump-action-shotgun-185in-1776905-1.jpg

52151_590retrograde_heatshield_7shot_sxvgzcbwrxzltbgs.jpg

The list of legal shotguns in SASS Wild Bunch has been expanded in the last few months. 

The Winchester model 1897 and model 12 pump in 12 gauge, civilian or military style are allowed. The IAC ‘93/’97 reproduction Winchester is also approved. This shotgun may be identified by the numbers ‘93/’97 on the left side of the barrel and the words IAC Billerica, MA on the right side of the barrel. ... Fully accurate reproductions are allowed.
Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860 to 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed. Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever, and pump action shotguns ONLY. Side-by-side shotguns may not use automatic ejectors.
Lever action, tubular feed, exposed hammer shotguns of the period are allowed, whether original or replicas.

Although this qualifies lots of shot guns, it does not make the Ithaca 37 design or the Mossberg 500/590 design pumps legal.  With or without heat shields on the barrels.    Those do not meet the restrictions on pump shotgun models - the rules specifically list only the legal ones.

The rules seem to state a shotgun from that era works

Read the paragraphs where that looser description is included, and you see that looser standard are for break-open and lever action shotguns ONLY.  

Pumps are called out by specific models.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

Interesting...

I double checked to make sure I'd not forgotten.

Legal Wild Bunch Shotgun...

Winchester 97
Winchester 12
Winchester 87

IAC 93/97

Any SxS or Single Barrel shotgun.

Lot's to choose from.

But here's the interesting part....

"Original Winchester 1893 shotguns were declared unsafe by the manufacturer and are NOT legal for use in Wild Bunch Action Shooting™ matches. Fully accurate reproductions are allowed."

That would indicate that a reproduction 93 would be legal, even if an original is not.   Does anyone make a reproduction 93?

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

...Does anyone make a reproduction 93?

Chinese used to make the 93/97, not any more.  There's a few out there.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489

So, those wouldn’t work but the Cimarron Firearms 1887 12 Gauge Lever Action should be legal because it’s a lever action single barrel. Right? image.thumb.jpeg.b57ccd9cc680b9ed5a2db54a5ed5a8f8.jpeg

2 hours ago, blackjackmark said:

Howdy! Sorry to post this here but I can't seem to log into the WB forum

The Wild Bunch Forum is a separate entity from this forum.  You will have to register specifically for that forum.  

I've been trying to register for that forum for the better part of a week ... let's just say I shoot better than that site works, and I don't shoot so great.

27 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It's considered an 87, so yes.

A fun gun as well.

Got one coming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Chinese used to make the 93/97, not any more.  There's a few out there.

The 93/97 is not a reproduction of the 93.   It's a 97 made to look like a 93.  If you compare a 93 to a 97 to a 93/97, you can see that this is true.  (I have all three)

So the question remains.   Does someone make a reproduction 93?

15 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The 93/97 is not a reproduction of the 93.   It's a 97 made to look like a 93.  If you compare a 93 to a 97 to a 93/97, you can see that this is true.  (I have all three)

So the question remains.   Does someone make a reproduction 93?

No

Thanks to all for the input. I went ahead and ordered a Cimarron 1887. Maybe I'll use it in cowboy too. Might be nice to switch it up with my coach gun! Thanks again to everyone!

• Like 1

There were other pump shotguns produced before 1918. Other than safety concerns, why aren't they allowed in WB shooting? Seems like if it doesn't say Winchester it's not worthy. Remington model 10, Browning A5, etc. And, folks wonder why WB never really caught on.

3 hours ago, Assassin said:

There were other pump shotguns produced before 1918. Other than safety concerns, why aren't they allowed in WB shooting? Seems like if it doesn't say Winchester it's not worthy. Remington model 10, Browning A5, etc. And, folks wonder why WB never really caught on.

Before SASS created rules for Wild Bunch, those things were quite commonly seen.  But when SASS created rules, they made WB a 97 only game.  That kinda carried over from the 97 being the only allowed pump shotgun in CAS, even though some of those others are perfectly safe to use.  As to why early autoloaders are not allowed for WB?  "They just aren't" seems to be the only answer.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

The Wild Bunch Forum is a separate entity from this forum.  You will have to register specifically for that forum.  

Questions regarding Wild Bunch firearms would be better asked & answered on that forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1