SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Wyatt Earp/Tombstone revolvers

Some time ago I bought one of these revolvers off the classified here.  I decided it needed a twin so I ordered one from Cimarron. I picked it up today from my dealer.  One is made by Uberti and the new one is made by Pietta, according to Cimarron. I have not found Pietta markings on it yet. They are almost identical. The Pietta gun front sight is closer to the front of the barrel, cylinder beveling is slightly different but a great pair, I think. In the pic, Uberti on top, Pietta on bottom.  Now for holsters.  Who is your go to ?

Horace

UbertiandPiettaWyattEarp.jpg

• Like 2

To me what always stands out about the Pietta is the area of the frame where the ejector housing attaches.  Not complaining, just that area makes me spot a Pietta vs any other clone from a mile away.  I shoot a pair of 7.5" 44-40 GW2s and am very happy with them.  For leather I recommend Kirkpatrick or Mernickle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dilli GaHoot Galoot said:

Same number of hammer clicks on both? 

Not my guns, but the Pietta has always been 4 clicks, and the Wyatt Earp Model P is a black powder frame, which from Cimarron is still a 4 click gun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Thanks !  I'll check them out !

Horace

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Cimarron and Texas Jacks usually have holsters for those in stock, if the style happens to fill your fancy. They are made by El Paso Saddlery.

1 hour ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Hasting holsters out of Corinth miss

I'll check them both out. Thanks !

Horace

17 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Thanks !  I'll check them out !

Horace

They can be a little pricey if you go nuts with embellishments, but over the years, I have had them make me holsters for my three Mare's Leg type pistols, and a Buntline holster that that I really like.

By the way, it is my goal to again visit Tombstone Arizona someday.  As you can see in my profile pic, I am wearing my Buntline Special next to the OK Corral.   It is my desire to shoot a SASS event there, with this...

44Spl12BuntlineColt.thumb.JPG.abb3a5fcd87c1a57299467429b22be53.JPG

And this...

American.jpg.db302021d38e2c720d76c46e753298ed.jpg

I figure that'll make me all "Wyatt Earpey."

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

They can be a little pricey of you go nuts with embellishments, but over the years, I have had them make me holsters for my three Mare's Leg type pistol, and a Buntline holster that that I really like.

By the way, it is my goal to again visit Tombstone Arizona someday.  As you can see in my profile pic, I am wearing my Buntline Special next to the OK Corral.   It is my desire to shoot a SASS event there, with this...

44Spl12BuntlineColt.thumb.JPG.abb3a5fcd87c1a57299467429b22be53.JPG

And this...

American.jpg.db302021d38e2c720d76c46e753298ed.jpg

I figure that'll make me all "Wyatt Earpey."

Good looking guns. We had a shooter years ago whose alias was Willie Earp.

Horace

7 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i dont see me wearing mine in a holster for a match but id like to have one for that BBQ event , 

Actually, drawing one from a holster is a lot easier then you think.  In this pic, you can see an important detail...

Tombstone.thumb.jpg.0761e4812d6f492299e41aaf0470b5cb.jpg

That holster, although it is on my left hip, is "technically" a right handed cross draw holster.  That little bit of a tilt makes it much easier to draw and reholster than if you were to have a straight draw one.  (Pic taken before I slimmed down from chemo!)

22 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Horace,

I've often wondered about holsters for Buntlines. There's probably a fine line between getting the holsters low enough to draw from but not so low that the muzzle scrapes the ground. I hope you're fairly tall.

Rev. Chase

Maybe I could wear 'em low like all the "hip" kids.

Horace

im only 5-9 and i weigh in at 155 when im in my zone - currently 145 , im not built to carry that revolver in a holster , but - im going to get one for mine so i can carry at a BBQ with these fine revolvers - i only have one so ill be getting off cheap i guess , 

wont ever see a match in my possession , nor will my 7" versions ,  i got all i can do to shoot well with my 5" and 4" versions - ill not be shooting the 3" either - i tried that and it was a real PITA as i got older , i like my 5s 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

ill not be shooting the 3" either - i tried that and it was a real PITA as i got older , i like my 5s 

Oh, but you GOTTA try this sometime!

SheriffBuntline.thumb.jpg.0c6492b01851c0c36041be837ac9b242.jpg

I've have used to the two nickel guns together more often than I have the two Sheriffs.

It is a HUGE amount of fun, and the laughs you get when other see that snubby come out of a holster that'll hold a second Buntline are worth the price of admission

• Like 2

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, but you GOTTA try this sometime!

SheriffBuntline.thumb.jpg.0c6492b01851c0c36041be837ac9b242.jpg

I've have used to the two nickel guns together more often than I have the two Sheriffs.

It is a HUGE amount of fun, and the laughs you get when other see that snubby come out of a holster that'll hold a second Buntline are worth the price of admission

i bet that is a sight to see , i know if i was watchin you do that it would make me chuckle - i just know im not going to buy another of the short ones , i couldnt shoot the one i had good enough to enjjoy it at a match , , mine went down the road with a number of others over the years , 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

i bet that is a sight to see , i know if i was watchin you do that it would make me chuckle - i just know im not going to buy another of the short ones , i couldnt shoot the one i had good enough to enjjoy it at a match , , mine went down the road with a number of others over the years , 

Mine are .44 Specials with .44-40  spare cylinders.   What caliber is (was?) yours?

mine were 45colt , my earp buntline is also 45colt , i started with that and have stuck with it because i also started with my reloading in that - as much money asa ive squandered buying selling trading guns over the years - i was at least a bit frugal in my reloading stuff , i stayed with one till just before covid [of all times to pick] when i added 38spcl , been very sselective of those gun purchases as well , 

there was a reason i started loading 45colt before i started SASS as well , i was a collector of US military rifles and handguns , i have an M1909 revolver that i liked to shoot , as well as a S&W Victory revolver thus the 38spcl ,  if i had started SASS before collecting those i might well have chosen differently 

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I've been looking for a .45 Sheriff for a while now, but the .44's seem to be far more common, and the .45's when I can find them, have gotten STUPID expensive.  Not sure what I'll do.

wish i still had one to offer you , both were sold off when i realized i couldnt shoot that short sight radiou well enough , IIRC i bought mine back around 06 and sold around 08 but could be having foggy memory , i also had three scofeilds back in those days and i cant recall which were first and which second - i didnt shoot them well either - this could all well have happened for 10 to 13 as well , a lot of stuff [guns] have come and gone