SASS Wire Forum

She is tiny!

Almost a year ago, I had a stupid idea of getting a mare leg lever in 44 mag and turning it into SBR.  Took me a few tries to get the stamp - it was denied twice for some unspecified reason, but finally stamp is here, stock is on, and it is as much fun as I expected!  

It was shooting way too high, so I had to use a Dremel on the rear sight... the 20" 1873 rifles are for size comparison. :)

BTW, I don't think SBRs are prohibited for SASS competition, are they?  I am thinking of taking it to the match and shooting a stage or 2 :)

20240201_2314048.jpg

20231211_182804.jpg

that-small-thing (1).jpg

Edited by Last Call Saul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Last Call Saul said:

BTW, I don't think SBRs are prohibited for SASS competition, are they?  I am thinking of taking it to the match and shooting a stage or 2 :)

The use of a non-SASS legal firearm results in a Stage Disqualification (SDQ) for each stage the illegal firearm is used. Penalties for illegal equipment/items and firearms are not awarded in arrears, but should be corrected before the competitor shoots the next stage.

SHB p.32

- Rifle barrels must maintain a length of at least 16 inches.

SHB p.33

• Thanks 3

ive never wanted one but i see your interest , they are interesting , have you shot that yet - does it work for you and exactly where in SASS would you like to use it ? maybe some side match ? 

Edited by watab kid

Ok... it's not for SASS then... it's to put a stupid grin on my face everytime I shoot it with a full power 44 mag in the indoors range...

And to be my truck gun in case they will prohibit everything black and semiautomatic

Edited by Last Call Saul
  • Like 2

Few years back somebody posted a picture. He had taken a stock from a Winchester 92 and had attached it to his Rossi Ranch Hand. Asked for opinions.

I told him that first it was illegal for the game, but second it was illegal, period, and he needed to get rid of that picture and remove the stock before he got sent to Leavenworth for a long time.

He replied that he was in England and that it was legal like that over there.

And, like Saul, he said that it was fun.

Interestingly, he said that if he had bought a standard 20 inch SRC, and then cut the barrel down, that would have been illegal. And, just like here, it is illegal to put a butt stock on a pistol. But in England the Ranch Hand is not considered a pistol. It is legally a lever action rifle. So replacing the buttstock on his short lever action rifle was perfectly legal.

27 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I like it.  Now you need to get it threaded for a suppressor.

as soon as I get out of Illinois :)

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 9:35 AM, Texas Lizard said:

Don't come to California...I don't think they them either...

Texas Lizard

At least in IL you can own an SBR if you have an FFL 3 (C&R FFL).  In CA you can't own any NFA item.   Being that I have family & property in CA & one is a cabin in the boonies north east of Lakeport I usually bring CA legal firearms to shoot with family.  I can't bring into CA my AR's, HK91 clone, suppressors, nor ATN thermal sight. 

On 2/1/2024 at 11:34 PM, Last Call Saul said:

so I had to use a Dremel on the rear sight

Did you cut the notch in the sight blade deeper or did you cut the steps in the elevator lower? I be curious.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Did you cut the notch in the sight blade deeper or did you cut the steps in the elevator lower? I be curious.

I cut the notch deeper.  if not enough, might have to cut the elevator steps

The front sight is built into the barrel band on that isn't it? I was thinking get a taller front sight but it's hard to do that when it's not replaceable.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

The front sight is built into the barrel band on that isn't it? I was thinking get a taller front sight but it's hard to do that when it's not replaceable.

I had this done on an 1866 carbine barrel band (slightly taller with a bead):

1866 sight (2).jpg 1866 (side).jpg

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
add photo
  • Like 1