SASS Wire Forum

Those little red wagons

A 16-year-old Italian boy named Antonio Pasin immigrated to America from Europe at the start of the 20th century. A skilled carpenter, Pasin headed to Chicago and began building little red wagons out of stamped metal. By 1923, he had saved enough money to create the Liberty Coaster Company, and he began mass-producing the wagon for just under $3. He named it the "Radio Flyer" in homage to two of his favorite inventions of the time: the radio and the airplane. #history

The Original Little Red Wagon became an icon of childhood, used to pull kid siblings, to deliver newspapers, to race down hills with that funky reverse-handle steering, and so on. #radioflyer #nostalgia #ChildhoodMemories

Slice of nostalgia fb page

main-qimg-9b4f16157cb15a0b021c92fb727cb11b

I had one and my sister got it when I outgrew it.  I got it back when my son was about three and he kept it.  He had it restored maybe fifteen years ago and now my grandson has it.  It looks pretty original except for the plastic wheels in place of the original stamped metal ones.

I'd like to find a Japanese pedal car like my son got when we were on Okinawa.  He used to pull the red wagon with his yellow #6 pedal car, but I've never seen another one like it.

I had my wife's Sears Roebuck Flexible Flyer sled restored twenty years ago and her husband recently replaced rhw wood parts and it's hanging on a wall in his workshop....where they never get any snow.

15 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A 16-year-old Italian boy named Antonio Pasin immigrated to America from Europe at the start of the 20th century. A skilled carpenter, Pasin headed to Chicago and began building little red wagons out of stamped metal. By 1923, he had saved enough money to create the Liberty Coaster Company, and he began mass-producing the wagon for just under $3. He named it the "Radio Flyer" in homage to two of his favorite inventions of the time: the radio and the airplane. #history

The Original Little Red Wagon became an icon of childhood, used to pull kid siblings, to deliver newspapers, to race down hills with that funky reverse-handle steering, and so on. #radioflyer #nostalgia #ChildhoodMemories

Slice of nostalgia fb page

main-qimg-9b4f16157cb15a0b021c92fb727cb11b

I had one , actually I had a couple of them. My first gun cart for cowboy shooting was my old Radio Flyer!!

Archived