SASS Wire Forum

A Dirty Question

The issue of carbon buildup was raised by @The Original Lumpy Gritz in my previous post as it pertains to cleaning your 22cal firearm.
Which 22 ammo do you find has the least amount of carbon buildup.
I will yield to your experience in this matter and appreciate any input.

Remington Thunderbolt is nasty stuff. Six different semi auto 22’s get dirty to the point of loss of function within 3 or 4 magazines. That is on top of at least one FTF per magazine, bullets that are loose in the case and often have the nose sheared off along one side. If this was Yelp… would not recommend. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Remington Thunderbolt is nasty stuff. Six different semi auto 22’s get dirty to the point of loss of function within 3 or 4 magazines. That is on top of at least one FTF per magazine, bullets that are loose in the case and often have the nose sheared off along one side. If this was Yelp… would not recommend. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I've even had em keyhole at 25 yds. I've always had the best luck with Federals, including accuracy. CCI next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

CCI std velocity solids runs very well through a 'muffler' ;)

Mini-mags do too, just a bit louder is all.

Getting ready to punch the order button on these, as they can also be shot in my pair of Ruger Wranglers. ^_^

Snip-it_1706389430265.thumb.jpg.24a3424647ccbb122152e710d70b2e05.jpg

Snip-it_1706389827685.thumb.jpg.885c825a2b13bcb09c36a105ae95898e.jpg

• Like 1

Those have worked well in my Wrangler's and my Henry lever.

• Thanks 1

You ask specifically about 'carbon buildup'.

Well.... I dont know about that, BUT..... I also think Remington stuff seems to collect some sticky, waxy residue inside my 

.22 actions, especially in the summer time.

Some of the 'cleanest' .22 ammo I have used in the past few years is CCI, Federal and Mag Tech.   Mag Tech is surprisingly

clean and reliable considering its cost.

Nearly all types of CCI and Federal .22 ammo give me good results in cleanliness, reliability and accuracy with their 

specific grades.

..........Widder

• Like 2

I put 1500 Federal Classic thru my Widder soft stroke Henry before cleaning and only the barrel mildly needed it!

• Like 2

FWIW, I  fire thousands of CCI and federal 22s during matches and practice with no problems and just normal clean up.

My Model 41 and my High Standard nine shot Sentinel revolver have provided me with excellent service using that ammunition

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Aguila is not clean but these SSS rounds are fun to hear thump the target

Are they accurate in your gun?

I bought a brick of them back in the long ago time when they first came out, figuring to use them in my silenced Ruger. They shot patterns instead of groups and usually went through the paper sideways.

Between the short barrel that is in a integral suppressed gun, and the rifling that was designed to stabilize a 40 grain bullet not a 60, it just did not like them.

I tried them in a few other guns - automatic, revolvers, and rifles - but none of them are very accurate. A rifling twist for 40 grains at 1200 just doesn't stabilize 60 grains at 900 very well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try some 40gn mini-mags too.

Snip-it_1705019238061.jpg.fd9257f15688c2e4bae3136acb1e9fb6.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Are they accurate in your gun?

I bought a brick of them back in the long ago time when they first came out, figuring to use them in my silenced Ruger. They shot patterns instead of groups and usually went through the paper sideways.

Between the short barrel that is in a integral suppressed gun, and the rifling that was designed to stabilize a 40 grain bullet not a 60, it just did not like them.

I tried them in a few other guns - automatic, revolvers, and rifles - but none of them are very accurate. A rifling twist for 40 grains at 1200 just doesn't stabilize 60 grains at 900 very well.

They'll hit a can on a stump at 15 paces from a 1:14 6" barrel.  Never tried papering them.  There are 1:9 10/22 barrels available specifically for this round if you want long range accuracy. 

18 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I put 1500 Federal Classic thru my Widder soft stroke Henry before cleaning and only the barrel mildly needed it!

He still soft stroking those?

40 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

He still soft stroking those?

His friend Eric Slater is doing them now along with the recommended trigger job. Believe his shop is Slater's Guns. @Widder, SASS #59054 will catch this and give ya the contact info for sure. It makes for a fun .22!!