SASS Wire Forum

1892 src

Chain Blue, BPGF

Took a long time but I finally found an 1892  Armando Rossi that was not all lawyerified. It is from about 1990 and is in as new condition 44-40 saddle ring carbine, for all of us John Wayne fans.

img_1_1706127889155.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

She's a Beauty Blue ! Definitely a "keeper". 

Here's a pic of mine. I have 2 both Browning 92's. 

Good Luck Pard!

20210127_170611.thumb.jpg.4309ef5e0830b9a6df409b045095cd19.jpg

Edited by T.K.
  • Like 2

Even though the New 92's have the ugly safety on top ( that you can remove)

They are much smoother out of the box then the old ones ever was .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Even though the New 92's have the ugly safety on top ( that you can remove)

They are much smoother out of the box then the old ones ever was .

Actually in the late 90s and the early 2,000s EMF Brought  them in and sold them as Hartford models, and they were quite smooth. that being said they are very easy to do action job on. You can change out that little safety but the whole is still there even if you put a plug in And I just didn't want that. But this is just me

• Like 3

Someone had "skeletonized" the stock of this Rossi .44-40, so I cut a slab of juniper to fill the hole. The butt plate had also been removed and a piece of leather tacked on. I hammered out and fitted a replacement from a piece of flat steel.

I had four of these, all pre-safety, two with saddle rings and two without, and sold the other three on here over the past four or five years. The two without the saddle rings were marked "Model 65 SRC", go figure... must be a Brazilian thing.

Rossi92_2.jpg.a9b2da6bd5882860eaa88acaa815f1da.jpg1892Rossi4440.jpg.243ca4e9d5e590ccd2d66fe67c426c0c.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is my Rossi, .44 Magnum

In 2014, I found a NIB Rossi .44 mag on the closeout page of Chestnut Ridge Outfitters, I believe it was called, for $397, shipped. I've shot it a few times, but it's still essentially in new condition.

RossiRight.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The Rossi may not be the "best" 92 on the market, but they are serviceable right out of the box.  I thought mine was fine till I got a real vintage Winchester.  That prompted me to have a minimal action job done.  That was all it needed.

I was at the unloading table when two Rossi guys were kibitzing about there problems with their 92s. I invited them to work the action on my Winchester 1892. "wow!  How'd you get it so smooth?"  120 years of use.

5ab5516e58286_Winchester189232WCF2March2018.jpg.beeaea4882427e94a5d028d479553089.jpg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was at the unloading table when two Rossi guys were kibitzing about there problems with their 92s. I invited them to work the action on my Winchester 1892. "wow!  How'd you get it so smooth?"  120 years of use.

Okay, here's my "92 Journey."

My first 92 was the above pictured Rossi.  Never thought there was anything wrong with it.  Then I got an Armi San Marco 92.  Very pretty rifle.  HORRIBLE action.  Several pards remarked that was "painful" to watch me try to use it.  I agree, it was.  First gun I ever had an action job done on as it REALLY NEEDED one.  :)

I told the gunsmith I didn't want a race gun, I just wanted it to work like a real Winchester.  The smith, I don't remember who he was, did an excellent job for me.  Then I got a real Winchester that had a big loop lever on it that had been rebarrelled to .44 Magnum.  (Started life as a .38-40)  Anyway, the next time that I used the Rossi, I realized that compared to reworked ASM and the Winchester, I realized that the Rossi was not as nice as I thought it should be.  So, I had Happy Trails give it a once over to smooth it out.  Now, it's great.

Since then, I've gotten another real Winchester in .32-20.  This one is just sweet.

My most recent 92 is a Chiappa Take Down Mares Leg in .44-40.  Right out of the box, as smooth as the .32-20.

So, 92's are great guns.   Vintage Winchesters are the best, Chiappas are a close second.  Pre-Safety Rossis are "okay," but need some minimal work.  The Armi San Marco should be avoided. 

I did buy my brother a Rossi, with the safety in .357 Magnum.   It wasn't as nice as my older Rossi, so I had an action job for it.  My brother thought it was nice.

No idea what the no safety Brownings or Japanese Winchesters with the tang safety are like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

In 2014, I found a NIB Rossi .44 mag on the closeout page of Chestnut Ridge Outfitters, I believe it was called, for $397, shipped. I've shot it a few times, but it's still essentially in new condition.

RossiRight.jpg

That's a very nice looking Rossi, fact it reminds me of when EMF was  selling them as, Hartford models. Very nice wood And  Dovetail to front sight.

• Like 2

I have always been a 92 Man myself. 

My Rossi Octagon Barrel 20" 44 Mag has been my go too rifle for years. 

I own all kinds of different 44 rifles .

But this one is mine !

And It always will be .

Screenshot_20230115-085937_Photos.thumb.jpg.722ace694c85a71e2c9830a4309d52fb.jpg

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is my Rossi saddle ring carbine with large loop bought early 80's . 16" barrel, 38 caliber./

Rossi Puma .38 $180.00.jpg

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

This is my Rossi saddle ring carbine with large loop bought early 80's . 16" barrel, 38 caliber./

Rossi Puma .38 $180.00.jpg

Nice.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 10:20 AM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Someone had "skeletonized" the stock of this Rossi .44-40, so I cut a slab of juniper to fill the hole. The butt plate had also been removed and a piece of leather tacked on. I hammered out and fitted a replacement from a piece of flat steel.

I had four of these, all pre-safety, two with saddle rings and two without, and sold the other three on here over the past four or five years. The two without the saddle rings were marked "Model 65 SRC", go figure... must be a Brazilian thing.

Rossi92_2.jpg.a9b2da6bd5882860eaa88acaa815f1da.jpg1892Rossi4440.jpg.243ca4e9d5e590ccd2d66fe67c426c0c.jpg

thats an interesting retrofit to a retro , i like it , looks darn nice 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1