SASS Wire Forum

Warming up your car

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was at a Florida State Championship at St. Augustine in January. Came out of the hotel, it was cold and had ice on the windows so I decided to start my 2000 Ford, turn on the defroster, leave the truck running with the key in the ignition, take the key fob/unlock back to the hotel room wait 15 minutes and come back and unlock the door with the key fob.

Sounds good, doesn't it. Guess what, the key fob will NOT unlock the door with the engine running. Had a spare (non-chip) key in my wallet but it's in the truck with my cell phone and AAA card. Had a friend call AAA, they came out in about 20 minutes and unlocked to door in 15 seconds with a slim jim. WIthin a month, all of the plastic cruise control buttons on the steering wheel had "dried" out and eventually cracked and fell off.

I rarely used cruise control before and can't use it now. The truck was right nice and toasty when I got it unlocked though. Lesson learned.

The fob won’t open the door with engine running? That’s crazy!! I start my car remotely now and then and the doors are locked but I can get in as long as I have the fob.  Sounds like you had a problem with the ignition/fob connection!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The fob won’t open the door with engine running? That’s crazy!! I start my car remotely now and then and the doors are locked but I can get in as long as I have the fob.  Sounds like you had a problem with the ignition/fob connection!

Nope. When I got home, I experimented with it...same results.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was at a Florida State Championship at St. Augustine in January. Came out of the hotel, it was cold and had ice on the windows so I decided to start my 2000 Ford, turn on the defroster, leave the truck running with the key in the ignition, take the key fob/unlock back to the hotel room wait 15 minutes and come back and unlock the door with the key fob.

Sounds good, doesn't it. Guess what, the key fob will NOT unlock the door with the engine running. Had a spare (non-chip) key in my wallet but it's in the truck with my cell phone and AAA card. Had a friend call AAA, they came out in about 20 minutes and unlocked to door in 15 seconds with a slim jim. WIthin a month, all of the plastic cruise control buttons on the steering wheel had "dried" out and eventually cracked and fell off.

I rarely used cruise control before and can't use it now. The truck was right nice and toasty when I got it unlocked though. Lesson learned.

I can unlock the GMC with the fob after a remote start. I've only done it in a parking garage though and been relatively close to when I unlocked it. However, I can't lock it when running. Sucks cuz I used to be able to leave the dog in it with the AC on. No more, so can't take the dog on short trip to the general store. I'd never leave her for even a few minutes in the summer without the AC on. Oh well!!

What's irritating is when I pull into the garage and stop, it shuts off then restarted as soon as ya put it in park unless you're real quick. Haven't tried turning the auto shut off off and see if come back on all by itself.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Nope. When I got home, I experimented with it...same results.

Well after all it is a Ford!:P:P

Toyota Camry and Toyota Highlander.  If I start the car, step outside and close the door, I cannot lock the door with the fob.  If the engine is running and the door is locked, I cannot unlock the door with the fob.

It's really not a big deal.  If I want to warm up the car and walk away I just use an extra key to lock the door while it warms up and unlock it when I return.  I don't want a car that does not have a key.  The fob is just one more electronic thing that's just too easy to screw up.  I walk to and from my car on my own and I know how to operate a key.

Angus

I will not own a vehicle that does the auto shutdown and restart at lights. I have worked in some of the most high crime areas in the U.S.  I have experienced the wonders of riots, flash mobs, anarchy, stopped traffic robberies and such. Murphy’s Law would dictate an auto start not starting when you most need it. Screw that noise. 

Okay wait a second, if I start the car and step outside with the fob on me I can lock the doors by pushing a little button on the door handle, all 4,door handles have the button. So the doors are locked car is running. No one can open the door without the fob on them! It’s a safety issue so no one can steal it ! I assumed all cars were like that. I have a 2023 Buick Encore and I assume all GM cars work  the same. I also cannot lock my keys in my car. The drivers door remains unlocked if the keys are left in it, ask me how I know!! :lol:

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I will not own a vehicle that does the auto shutdown and restart at lights.

For me, it is the wear and tear.

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

For me, it is the wear and tear.

That’s also the issue for me. With my luck the wear and tear would be the issue that leaves me hanging at the worst possible time. 

That and it just seems wrong. 
I liken the auto shutoff to be:

- Reading a book then taking off your glasses or putting the book down for a minute. 
- Shooting half a mag and putting the gun down for a couple of minutes for no reason. 
- reeling in a lure then stopping for a couple of minutes. 
- baking a pizza then removing it for 2 minutes.

It’s just wrong and stupid. IMO

My Wife's new Acadia has a button you can press at start up that cancels the shut off feature,  You do have to remember to press it when you start the car, but it remains in effect till you turn the car off.

My 2023 Encore does not have the automatic engine shut off and I’m glad! I think I’d hate it!

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay wait a second, if I start the car and step outside with the fob on me I can lock the doors by pushing a little button on the door handle, all 4,door handles have the button. So the doors are locked car is running. No one can open the door without the fob on them! It’s a safety issue so no one can steal it ! I assumed all cars were like that. I have a 2023 Buick Encore and I assume all GM cars work  the same. I also cannot lock my keys in my car. The drivers door remains unlocked if the keys are left in it, ask me how I know!! :lol:

Years ago I had a ‘05 Mazda Miata. If you unlocked the car and walked away for 30 seconds without opening the door the doors would auto-lock. 
One day I was in a hurry. The windows were cracked about 3/4”. I unlocked the door and realized I forgot my wallet. For some unexplainable reason I push the Miata key and my house key through the opening and the keys landed on the seat then bounced to the floor. 
I ran up to the door, realized the door key was in the car. As I walked up to the car my neighbor yelled a greeting and I spoke for a few seconds and as I reached for the car door I heard the doors lock. :angry: 
Yep, I can be an absentminded dumb*** sometimes. 
Had to use my neighbor’s phone to call AAA.

Never made that mistake again. The Miata I have now has the same feature. 

i can open my GMC with the fob when running under remote start , my windshield has cracked but its a rock chip i was aware of and ignored that caused it , im going to continue to preheat my car , 

at least till we all get forced into electric cars we wont be able to heat or charge because our government has overstepped its bounds and interfered in our right to pursue happiness 

Archived