SASS Wire Forum

WiFi WTH?

bgavin

I have Consumer Reports through my county library.
Doing the research for a dish washer, I find the top recommendations all have WiFi?

What the heck???
Why do I need to install their app on my phone so I can check the dish washer without getting my lazy butt off the couch?
Why do I want their app on my phone, opening myself up to marketing B.S., chronic texts and spam, and possible attack?

I have 50 years in this business, but I remain solidly in the Luddite camp over this silliness.
I don't even want a dish washer as I prefer to wash by hand.
We have new kitchen cabinets in place now, and there is a big hole where the dish washer should go.
We have our old reliable one in the garage these last 7 years, but the bride is afraid the seals are dry and it will leak.

< /rant >

I'm in complete agreement here. I'm still rocking a flip phone, and I still have a landline. I make all my calls on my landline unless I'm calling the Cable company to ask why my landline isn't working. 

I fail to understand why EVERYTHING has to have a computer in it. I think that my TOASTER has one. (At least it doesn't have wifi to tell me that my toast is done.) AND I'm still on a desktop confuser, (thanks bgavin for all the advice), with Windows 10. 

We had to upgrade our kitchen appliances earlier this year because apparently white appliances don't cook good any more.  A few days after instillation, it was raining and I was very bored.  I broke out the owner's manuals on the new kitchen appliances and found that they were WiFi capable.  What is this, says I?  I spent the next hour downloading the Samsung app and connecting the dishwasher, stove and refrigerator to the app.  The microwave is still just plain dumb.   WiFi is probably the most useless option I have ever seen, however, my phone alerts me when the wife has preheated the oven.  That's usually a sign I'm going to get something to eat.  The refrigerator also sends me a message if the door is left open more than 2 minutes and the dishwasher sends me a message when it's done. 

My last appliances lasted 25 years.  Actually, they still all worked just fine.  The wife just got tired of looking at them.  I'll see how long these new ones last.    The wife has had me for 40 years.  I may be on borrowed time.  

I have no WiFi appliances. If I did I probably wouldn’t connect to them.

We bought my daughter’s family a new washer for Christmas. It has WiFi. Have you ever read the complete Privacy and Use Statements on some of these things? Why would a washer need access to contacts and photos and such? I know it’s coming from the manufacturer, but why would GE need that info? Screw ‘em! 

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We had to upgrade our kitchen appliances earlier this year because apparently white appliances don't cook good any more. 

My last appliances lasted 25 years.  Actually, they still all worked just fine.  The wife just got tired of looking at them.  I'll see how long these new ones last.    The wife has had me for 40 years.  I may be on borrowed time.  

Indeed.
My bride prefers White, which is getting harder to find every day.

We have an O'Keefe & Merritt in our San Diego place since 1948 when the house was new.
There is a retired social worker in SD that gave up head shrinking kids, and works full time on these old stoves.

He brings along a corn-fed big woman to move 'em away from the wall...
It being San Diego and all, I'm not surprised they wouldn't use one as a boat anchor for a big ship.

This old antique runs like a champ.
He tuned up the air/fuel mix a bit, replaced a few broken springs, and was on his way.
I figure it will run long past my expiration date.

Our Sacramento kitchen was ripped out 7 years from delays with Mom, cancer and a heart attack.
Being without for 7 years pretty much cured my bride of "tired of looking at them"

4226-interior-2015.03.07-06.960.jpg

Archived