SASS Wire Forum

Ruger marlin 1894

Hatchet hatch

15 minutes ago, Hatchet hatch said:

Just got the new marlin 1894 in 357 and was wondering who can short stroke them thats still in business? Thanks for any help.

Cowboy Carty is the only one I know of that short strokes Marlins. 

Randy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatchet hatch said:

Just got the new marlin 1894 in 357 and was wondering who can short stroke them thats still in business? Thanks for any help.

Marlin '94; you musta been a good boy all year.

The Marlin is not easy to short stroke.  Even when short stroked, you have to run shorter ammo as the lever moves the bolt directly and to reduce stroke you have to reduce bolt travel.  A very different setup than a 66 or 72 which has a linkage where you can change the ratio between lifter and lever.  I looked at what had to be done and gave up on the idea of a short stroke.  Just did the Widder mods aka Widdermatic.   

Might try just a spring and firing pin kit.  Will do wonders.  Unsure if the Pioneer stuff fits the new Marlins but guess they would.

One piece firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer spring, lever safety spring or bend it a bit.  

If the hammer block safety bothers you, take the stock off and screw in the little allen screw that holds it in, locking it in the off position.  It may be sealed over, if so, dig out the goo.

Add a lever wrap and go shooting.  

Save all parts removed if returning it for warrantee work.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Might try just a spring and firing pin kit.  Will do wonders.  Unsure if the Pioneer stuff fits the new Marlins but guess they would.

One piece firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer spring, lever safety spring or bend it a bit.  

If the hammer block safety bothers you, take the stock off and screw in the little allen screw that holds it in, locking it in the off position.  It may be sealed over, if so, dig out the goo.

Add a lever wrap and go shooting.  

Save all parts removed if returning it for warrantee work.  

If you use a 1-piece firing pin, you won't need that spring.

AND..... don't forget to change out the Plunger spring on the lever.   Those boogers can me

mighty stiff.

I like ALL the Marlin parts that Longhunter sells.   Good stuff, good business to deal with, and

they work great in the 1894 Marlin.

Best regards

..........Widder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If you use a 1-piece firing pin, you won't need that spring.

AND..... don't forget to change out the Plunger spring on the lever.   Those boogers can me

mighty stiff.

I like ALL the Marlin parts that Longhunter sells.   Good stuff, good business to deal with, and

they work great in the 1894 Marlin.

Best regards

..........Widder

Have you torn down a Ruger/Marlin yet?

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you torn down a Ruger/Marlin yet?

Not an 1894.   I've checked out the 1895 but that's all.

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

• Thanks 1