Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Ruger marlin 1894


Hatchet hatch

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Hatchet hatch said:

Just got the new marlin 1894 in 357 and was wondering who can short stroke them thats still in business? Thanks for any help.

Cowboy Carty is the only one I know of that short strokes Marlins. 
 

Randy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hatchet hatch said:

Just got the new marlin 1894 in 357 and was wondering who can short stroke them thats still in business? Thanks for any help.

Marlin '94; you musta been a good boy all year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Marlin is not easy to short stroke.  Even when short stroked, you have to run shorter ammo as the lever moves the bolt directly and to reduce stroke you have to reduce bolt travel.  A very different setup than a 66 or 72 which has a linkage where you can change the ratio between lifter and lever.  I looked at what had to be done and gave up on the idea of a short stroke.  Just did the Widder mods aka Widdermatic.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might try just a spring and firing pin kit.  Will do wonders.  Unsure if the Pioneer stuff fits the new Marlins but guess they would.

 

One piece firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer spring, lever safety spring or bend it a bit.  

If the hammer block safety bothers you, take the stock off and screw in the little allen screw that holds it in, locking it in the off position.  It may be sealed over, if so, dig out the goo.

 

Add a lever wrap and go shooting.  

 

Save all parts removed if returning it for warrantee work.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Might try just a spring and firing pin kit.  Will do wonders.  Unsure if the Pioneer stuff fits the new Marlins but guess they would.

 

One piece firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer spring, lever safety spring or bend it a bit.  

If the hammer block safety bothers you, take the stock off and screw in the little allen screw that holds it in, locking it in the off position.  It may be sealed over, if so, dig out the goo.

 

Add a lever wrap and go shooting.  

 

Save all parts removed if returning it for warrantee work.  

 

If you use a 1-piece firing pin, you won't need that spring.

AND..... don't forget to change out the Plunger spring on the lever.   Those boogers can me

mighty stiff.

 

I like ALL the Marlin parts that Longhunter sells.   Good stuff, good business to deal with, and

they work great in the 1894 Marlin.

 

Best regards

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

 

If you use a 1-piece firing pin, you won't need that spring.

AND..... don't forget to change out the Plunger spring on the lever.   Those boogers can me

mighty stiff.

 

I like ALL the Marlin parts that Longhunter sells.   Good stuff, good business to deal with, and

they work great in the 1894 Marlin.

 

Best regards

 

..........Widder

 

Have you torn down a Ruger/Marlin yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you torn down a Ruger/Marlin yet?

 

Not an 1894.   I've checked out the 1895 but that's all.

 

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.