SASS Wire Forum

Who made/makes guns in .32-20?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Okay, here's what I have been able to determine so far, limiting to SASS Legal guns...

Revolvers made in .32-20
Colt SAA

Colt Bisley

Ruger Vaquero
Ruger Blackhawk.

Revolvers NOT made in .32-20
S&W Model 3
Remington 1875/1890

Colt New Frontier

Uberti/Pieta replicas of anything.

Revolver supposedly made in .32-20

Replica of Remington 1858 "converted" to this caliber.  Taylors advertised it years ago.  I've never seen one, nor do I know anyone who has, so it is conjectural.

Rifles made in .32-20

Winchester 73

Winchester 92

Marlin 1888

Marlin 1894
Colt Lightning

Rifles NOT made in .32-20

Colt Burgess

Rifles that I just don't know about...
Anybody else who made rifles back in the day.
Any replicas currently made.

Okay, I ask this because I like the cartridge, and I am considering expanding my collection of things in the caliber.   So anyway, I thought I'd ask, is my information about who did and did not make things in the caliber correct?  Also, are their any replicas on the market that I am unaware of?  

I've never been a Marlin guy, but that's the first place I am considering to go for expansion.  For revolvers, at least SASS Legal ones, there doesn't seem to be anything beyond the Colt and Ruger.   There is also the Marlin 27 pump, but since it's only got a 7 round magazine, I probably won't go that way.

Any info anyone has would be appreciated.  :)

The Marlin 1894 in .32-20 can be a dandy of a rifle, especially if a few of the right tweaks are done

to it to help minimize some of the factory self-inflicted gremlins.

That small bottle neck type case begs to run fast and smooth.     

All that, of course, is just my opinion.

..........Widder

Nice info!  Thank you everyone.  

It occurs to me that I should have mentioned that, other than a Ruger, I can't buy a new revolver in this caliber.  I live in Massachusetts and the SAA, and it's copies, are not legal for sale here.  They are deemed to be an unsafe design.  For real Colts, I'm limited to 1st or 2nd Generation ones, which are C&R.

I shoot 32-20 fairly regularly. I have a pair of 32-20 Taylor Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" revolvers. For rifles I have a Uberti 1873, original Winchester 1892, and a Browning 53 slicked up with an extended magazine tube up to the end of the barrel to allow 10 rounds to be loaded. The Browning 53 is my favorite followed closely by the Uberti. The Winchester is stock and slower than the other two. The 32-20 is a great caliber, accurate, and fun to shoot if you can find brass for it.

7 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I shoot 32-20 fairly regularly. I have a pair of 32-20 Taylor Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" revolvers. For rifles I have a Uberti 1873, original Winchester 1892, and a Browning 53 slicked up with an extended magazine tube up to the end of the barrel to allow 10 rounds to be loaded. The Browning 53 is my favorite followed closely by the Uberti. The Winchester is stock and slower than the other two. The 32-20 is a great caliber, accurate, and fun to shoot if you can find brass for it.

I do shoot it a couple of times a year, and am thinking I'd like to do so more, cuz some of my guns are really cool in the caliber.

Winchester 73
Winchester 92
Colt Lightning
Colt SAA 1st Gen antique that letters as a .44-40.  No idea when it was changed.
Colt SAA 3rd Gen
Pair of Colt Bisleys, one nickel, one blue.

I figure if I have more guns to rotate through, I'll shoot the caliber more often,

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I do shoot it a couple of times a year, and am thinking I'd like to do so more, cuz some of my guns are really cool in the caliber.

Winchester 73
Winchester 92
Colt Lightning
Colt SAA 1st Gen antique that letters as a .44-40.  No idea when it was changed.
Colt SAA 3rd Gen
Pair of Colt Bisleys, one nickel, one blue.

I figure if I have more guns to rotate through, I'll shoot the caliber more often,

I thought you said that you can't acquire 3rd Gen Colt's...

And does it ever bother you to constantly list your guns on an open forum????

Phantom

36 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I have a Uberti Model P Jr 4 1/2" in .32-20/.32 H&R Magnum. I also had a Cimarron/Uberti SAA 4 3/4" in .32-20.

Remington built rolling blocks, as well as pump action rifles, in .32-20.

Wasn't the Remington pump hammerless?

On 12/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Actually in stock?  I have this pair with duel cylinders. 

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

On 12/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I have a Uberti Model P Jr 4 1/2" in .32-20/.32 H&R Magnum. I also had a Cimarron/Uberti SAA 4 3/4" in .32-20.

Remington built rolling blocks, as well as pump action rifles, in .32-20.

What are your thoughts on the Model P Jr in general and the the 32-20 in the Model P Jr?  I have shoot a few SAA's in 32-20 over the years and the balance felt off to me.  Not so off that I couldn't get used to it, but still . . . 

51 minutes ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

What are your thoughts on the Model P Jr in general and the the 32-20 in the Model P Jr?  I have shoot a few SAA's in 32-20 over the years and the balance felt off to me.  Not so off that I couldn't get used to it, but still . . . 

I'll have to admit I've never stot them with the 32WCF cylinders.   I shot them with 32 S&W Long and BlackMZ loads.   The Lightning grips feel too round for me and i was surprised at the sharp recoil from such a small round.

13 hours ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

I like mine. It has the plow handle grip & handles the .32-20 just fine.

Another "interesting" aspect of .32-20 is how "vintage" guns chambered for this caliber, be they Winchesters, Colts, or Marlins seem to cost a lot less money that comparable ones in the larger calibers.  I got a pair of Bisleys in pretty good shape for less that what I've seen people asking for 1 in .44-40 or .45 Colt.  

Go figure.

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Another "interesting" aspect of .32-20 is how "vintage" guns chambered for this caliber, be they Winchesters, Colts, or Marlins seem to cost a lot less money that comparable ones in the larger calibers.  I got a pair of Bisleys in pretty good shape for less that what I've seen people asking for 1 in .44-40 or .45 Colt.  

Go figure.

This isn't unusual. Caliber is often a major factor in determining value on a firearm.

Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This isn't unusual. Caliber is often a major factor in determining value on a firearm.

Phantom

Yeah, that does make sense.  A desirable caliber would command a higher price.  That's only logical.  I'm just surprised at how MUCH it seems to have with regard to .32-20 stuff.  Hey, I guess that just means those who like the caliber are lucky.  :)

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yeah, that does make sense.  A desirable caliber would command a higher price.  That's only logical.  I'm just surprised at how MUCH it seems to have with regard to .32-20 stuff.  Hey, I guess that just means those who like the caliber are lucky.  :)

32-20 is a cool caliber... Just not high on the collect list... For the most part.

Phantom

Original Win 73s in .32 WCF are usually much less than any other chambering.  I have recently seen good samples for $950-1000.

.32 WCF is one of my favorites.  I still have a Win 73 and have owned a Win 1892, S&W Police Positive, a Savage Model 23 and a Colt Bisley.

Archived