SASS Wire Forum

watchin white christmas again

watab kid

theres something about these post war movies that remind me of my youth and how different things were compared to today , there was an actual american ethic of pride in our country and what we could achieve as a people - not what the government could do for us [to quote kennedy] 

im not saying we arent still capable , im just noticing that with all this current diversity effort - be it persuasion , or identification [feelings] , recent immigration [without assimilation] , and very recent outspoken hatred/demonstrated in the streets we are not the united country we were after the way , we are not even the fractured country we were after VN , 

im not sure anymore what we actually are or if we can come back from this place to what we need to be , but we will never in my lifetime be what we were when i was young , i feel badly about that for my grandchildren , 

hope ive not violated any rules here ..........

I always admired the US for it's "Melting Pot" concept.

Too bad both our countries decided it was cool to emphasize all our differences rather than our commonalities.  

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

theres something about these post war movies that remind me of my youth and how different things were compared to today , there was an actual american ethic of pride in our country and what we could achieve as a people - not what the government could do for us [to quote kennedy] 

im not saying we arent still capable , im just noticing that with all this current diversity effort - be it persuasion , or identification [feelings] , recent immigration [without assimilation] , and very recent outspoken hatred/demonstrated in the streets we are not the united country we were after the way , we are not even the fractured country we were after VN , 

im not sure anymore what we actually are or if we can come back from this place to what we need to be , but we will never in my lifetime be what we were when i was young , i feel badly about that for my grandchildren , 

hope ive not violated any rules here ..........

Don't believe everything you see and hear from the news.  Americans are not as divided as advertised, particularly the 90% who don't live in big cities or on the coasts.

And, yeah, White Christmas is a great movie, watched here several times each winter!

Mildly annoyed my wife again just last night. Rudolf came on as I was finishing up cleaning my deer rifle. Took a bead on the TV. It changed the whole dynamic of the show, watching it through a scope.

Back in the 80's, the KKK was still relatively active in North Georgia.  By active, I mean they showed up in costume at intersections on nice weekends and passed out klan literature.  One year, they decided to enter a float in the Commerce Christmas parade.  The city fathers had a fit but were unable to stop them.  The KKK had their float and played, I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas over their P.A. system.  The next year the KKK filed an application to enter the Commerce Christmas parade and the city cancelled the parade.

I can never hear that song again without thinking about that KKK float and all the controversy it caused.  It was entertaining to watch.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Mildly annoyed my wife again just last night. Rudolf came on as I was finishing up cleaning my deer rifle. Took a bead on the TV. It changed the whole dynamic of the show, watching it through a scope.

Taking dry fire to a whole new level!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

When discussions of this type come up as they occasionally do, I tend to think back to the long past days of my own youth, (1970s). Older generations even back then were commiserating about what the world would be like when we got to the point to where WE were running it. Many were saying that they were glad that they wouldn't be around to see it. 

So 50 years later, some of us are saying the same thing. To a degree, I understand where they/we are coming from. 

But, and it's a big but, I think that, if tested, we will be okay. People tend to try to do things their own way until there is true adversity. Think about the aftermath of 9/11. For a brief time, America came together to stand as One People. Fortunately, there was no further attack. Unfortunately that led to complacency on the part of most of the American people. But if we were pushed in such a way that it couldn't be ignored, most Americans would put their differences aside and fight.  

There will always be people who think differently, as in "Just show them that we don't mean them any harm and they'll leave us alone", or "War never solved anything". When it counts, though, these people will stand in a small minority. 

Ignore what the Fake News media says. Talk to people. You'll find that most of them will stand together if we need them to. People who tout diversity seek to divide us so that they can have power over us. I think that diversity is fine, but have found that tends to shrink to the background when those same diverse people have a common goal. 

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Don't believe everything you see and hear from the news.  Americans are not as divided as advertised, particularly the 90% who don't live in big cities or on the coasts.

And, yeah, White Christmas is a great movie, watched here several times each winter!

i hope you are right , im not happy thinking im leaving what i perceive as this current world to my grandkids - much rather ;leave them what i grew up in ,

i did hear some speculation that the democrat's nominating convention is to be in chicago , that seems fitting [remembering the chicago seven] that was something im thinking from my younger days that might compare with today - or perhaps be relived , we shall see 

i also watched metrical on 34th street again last night ,  also one of my favorite christmas movies 

Archived